Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

trading pyrometers

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question trading pyrometers

My Isspro pyro has quit me twice now so I got a new one from autometer. I went with the cobalt digital so i could see it better at night. I searched the forum for the probe location, and I am still unsure of where I want to put it. I think I will try the pre turbo local. I have a '97 12 valve. Now I just need to figure exactly where on the manifold to drill and tap the hole for the probe. Can someone show me a picture or diagram of the best place please? And is the autometer probe they send going to leak if its installed in the manifold? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Marv
Old 03-31-2015, 11:43 PM

I just need to know where to drill the manifold. I read all I could find in this in the search, but there are differing opinions. I saw one picture with a red circle on the manifold. Infidel said ( and I have huge respect for his knowledge and consider him an expert) that the circle was in the right place. But I didn't understand it exactly. But he is the reason I am even considering the pre turbo method. I just need more detail before I drill into my manifold
Old 04-01-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 415 Likes on 317 Posts
Maybe this will help
https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...hspart=mozilla
Old 04-02-2015, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by cougar
I just installed a Glow Shift on my 2010, Laramie. I used the block plate on the exhaust that Synester provide with the EGT delete. I drilled and tapped the 1/2" plate and placed the sensor within 2 1/2" of the exhaust port of the head. Now, I have to just figure out what my operating EGT's are going to be. I am pulling a 12.5 fiver,
Old 04-03-2015, 10:14 AM

Cougar's link shows a dead on picture. There is a reinforcing "rib" cast into the exhaust manifold that prevents use of the center of the manifold.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
There's no reinforcing material in the exhaust manifold. Those reinforced areas in the metal specifically for drilling sensor ports are called "bosses". The OEM manifolds dont have any.

The reason we dont drill in the middle of the manifold is because the left and right exhaust banks are separated in the manifold and if you drill into the middle you wont provide an area where the thermocouple can properly an accurately read the temperatures without interference of the surrounding metal surfaces. Plus it would most likely result in cracking. Its best to use 1/8" pipe thermocouple fittings since 1/4" gets pretty big.

The other important reason we drill on the "left" bank of the exhaust manifold is because cylinder 5 and 6 towards the back of the engine run the hottest due to the coolant flow. Therefor even though we care what the EGT's are for all the cylinders, we care the most about the "hottest" cylinders since they would be the first to indicate a problem. That said, even though most aftermarket manifolds have drill bosses on the left bank, there are aftermarket manifolds which have boss ports in the middle and/or an exhaust for each bank.