Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Totally Confused!! TST or Edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had about all of those issues except the lope at idle. Mine will shudder ,(as all TST Comps do) ,it will sometimes involintarily floor it, and it will miss and cut out at times at high RPM. I am going to go check all of my connections again to see if I can solve that last problem. All this being said, I LOVE this box! Its not as refined as some, but I prefer it over the Drag Comp I was running. But like was mentioned earlier, if you are looking for smooth power, dont go with the TST! But it does make power, I love mine!
Old 04-25-2007, 01:59 PM

The involuntary flooring it is definitely a bad connection or a map sensor. It's not the TST. You won't find a smoother box out there. The only actual TST box issue out of all that has been mentioned is the famous shudder on shutdown from the comp boxes. The rest of the problems are all in your wiring connections or your map sensor not in the TST itself. All of the high speed misses and throttle surges can be fixed by making sure your connections are good and your Map sensor is up to par. If those 2 things don't fix your miss, check the diodes in the alternator.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:24 PM

Thanks for all the insight, guess it looks like the TST PM3... for me... let the modding begin....lol Sure glad i'm not married, for the money i just spent on this thing in the last week, i would be divorced by next week....lol.. guess thats why i'm not...

Capn
Old 04-25-2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by mcoleman
and your Map sensor is up to par.

Man, I got raked across the coals when we mentioned this a while back. We ended up doing a lot of software work to compensate for bad map sensors but, also making it still work on good up to spec map sensors!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Banned

people who use oiled filters should remove and clean their MAP and IAT sensors once a year to make sure they are up to par.

as for a lopey idle with the TST I like mine, sounds bad a...you know what. and it only does it on level 9, you will see the tst fuel light blink a little and the boost gauge in the remote will read 0-1-0-1 psi, and as it picks up this boost pressure the truck will idle like it has a big cam in it. ive cleaned and checke dmy MAP and its good too. just for some reason it likes to read 1psi at idle on level 9.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:33 PM

I'm gonna say the Edge Drag Comp. For all out racing power I still think the Drag Comp is the best. I've seen plenty trucks with TST's and they don't run like the Drag runs. Mine goes very nice with my Smarty and it's smoother than anything i've ever been in.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Big Smoky
I'm gonna say the Edge Drag Comp. For all out racing power I still think the Drag Comp is the best. I've seen plenty trucks with TST's and they don't run like the Drag runs. Mine goes very nice with my Smarty and it's smoother than anything i've ever been in.

I disagree, mine is faster with the TST than it was with the Drag, but thats just me. And as for the flooring it without warning with the TST, somebody told me that the Smarty might be the issue there?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have run the TST Comp, the Edge Drag Comp and the BlueChip Redline box. At the drag strip I prefer the redline box hands down. Next would be the Drag Comp and then the TST Comp. For driving on the street I prefer the Drag Comp, with the redline box and TST tied.

Now the reasons.... The TST is slower in the 1/4 mile on my truck then the other two, with the redline being the fastest. The thing that I liked least about the TST at the track is building and holding boost. The TST mostly uses the MAP sensor to add fuel. When you are trying to hold at a steady boost, the TST keeps adding fuel which raises boost. It's tougher getting consistent launches. Not impossible just tougher. The redline box fuels by throttle position. You set the throttle position and that's how much fuel you get. Makes it really easy to build and hold boost. The drag comp is somewhere inbetween. The redline box doesn't need a RAD for bypassing the torque limiting in the 01 and 02 automatics.

On the street, the Drag comp doesn't have the shudder that the TST comp has, and it doesn't set codes like the redline. The Drag comp drives much smoother in all settings then the other two do. I will admit though, that with everything else I have on the truck, I don't run the boxes on the street much. There really isn't any need. The TST Comp only shudders with the box on 5 or above (on my truck), but it is very violent. I also like the fact that I don't need to stack anything with the Drag Comp, to get timing.

Just my $.02 worth.
Paul
Old 04-26-2007, 04:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My opinion is worthless, I'm never right on the money! I just write what I think will ruffle the most feathers so I can get some valuable feedback before my major purchases.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 AM

Mine ran quicker with the TST than it did with my drag comp. But with the TST I have to launch at 15 pounds where I could launch at 20-23 pounds with the drag comp. The TST comes on harder down low and blows the tires with much over 15 pounds on the launch. I also ran a quicker ET with the TST on 7 but a higher mph with the TST on 9. With the drag comp and catcher ecm I had to launch at over 25 pounds just to get it past the excessive fuel bog and then it would fall off on the top end by several tenths. I wish that catcher would have worked for me as the part throttle driveability was nice.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:07 AM

With the drag comp and catcher ecm I had to launch at over 25 pounds just to get it past the excessive fuel bog and then it would fall off on the top end by several tenths. I wish that catcher would have worked for me as the part throttle driveability was nice.
How did the drag comp without the catcher work for you?

The TST comp was .24 seconds slower for me, then the drag comp. Same track, same conditions, same launch psi. I do not have a catcher or Smarty.

Paul
Old 04-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Banned

russ, you better have all this installed by the time i get there. i wanna see.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:57 AM

It averaged around .12 slower than the TST/EZ stack. But the driveability is alot better as far as turbo lag is concerned with the TST/EZ stack. But they were tested on different weekends and a .10 isn't much as far as the weather and totally different days. I mainly just like the spool-up better for towing with the TST/EZ over the Drag Comp.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:15 PM

It averaged around .12 slower than the TST/EZ stack. But the driveability is alot better as far as turbo lag is concerned with the TST/EZ stack. But they were tested on different weekends and a .10 isn't much as far as the weather and totally different days. I mainly just like the spool-up better for towing with the TST/EZ over the Drag Comp.
Thanks for the info. I didn't like the TST/Drag comp or just the TST by itself, for building and holding boost. The TST uses boost for fueling, and it caused it to want to keep climbing, even when the throttle was held steady. I found myself adjusting the throttle, even as the tree was coming down, to get a consistent launch. The Redline box is by far the easiest to hold boost with.

I totally agree, that the TST stack would help with turbo lag. The TST fuels hard down low. I may have liked it more, if I had used it when I had my large single on.

I also agree that you can/have to, leave with more boost to get the same 60' times with the Drag Comp or the Redline. I actually like that. It gives me more adjustability when dealing with slick tracks. One track I was trying the TST on, it fueled so hard down low, that I couldn't leave with low enough boost to keep it from spinning.

Paul
Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 PM

I don't think I would like the TST at all by itself. The EZ makes a huge difference when stacked with it. I've never ran mine without the EZ. I did try it with the Catcher and that didn't work at all. It added even more bottom end fuel. Too much to even build boost with. 90% humidity and our lovely 90 degree evenings here in the Ozarks make for some long staging times with excess fuel.

Quick Reply: Totally Confused!! TST or Edge