Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Which tires have you guys had the best luck with?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which tires have you guys had the best luck with?

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, but I'm about to buy another set of tires and need some quick advice. I have nitto's, but if it rains traction goes to junk and I get stuck in wet grass. I was thinking about BFG's but apparently I didn't get the memo that they were made of gold...I was looking at X-Terrains because of the buy 3 get 1 free deal, but not sure how well they hold up under our trucks. What about pro comp mud terrains? Any other semi-aggressive tire that is reasonable any hold up well? What have you guys had the best luck with?
Old 11-09-2005, 08:52 PM

Toyo Open Country MT or Goodyear Wrangler MT
Old 11-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Banned

i use bridgestone dueller revos,, had them for allmost a year only at half the tread.. been down muddy sandy rocky road.. no problems.. i did more damage pulling of the hiway full on the breaks.. finally got some scars on the tread.. 60+k on them .. but i also check them regularly and rotate then every 7500 miles.. dont tow on them except my little trailer about 4000lbs loaded every once in a while ,, no problems yet!
Old 11-09-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its BFG for me!
Old 11-09-2005, 11:17 PM

I've ran alot alot of tires, the Toyo MT and wrangler MT are great, but the best dollar value is the BFgoodrich MT.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Banned

I know several people that swear by the Cooper Discoverer S/T. They all drive diesels, from all all of the big three... but all get great traction and 50k out of a set... I will be getting a set in a few months...
Old 11-09-2005, 11:35 PM

Sure as hell isnt Pro COmp X terrains!
Old 11-10-2005, 08:36 AM

I believe, with tires anyway, you still get what you pay for!
My Michelin LTX M&S tires are quiet and excellent in slippery conditions and based on the 55,000 miles I have on them now...should go over 80,000 miles. (65 psi..rotated @ 5-7,000 miles)

Only go to 285's, and cost me $190.00 each, but still the lowest cost per mile of any tire I've tried.

If you need to spend less....I like the Coopers.

RJ
Old 11-10-2005, 09:00 AM

I have the brigdestone dueller revo's and their great for every application i've used them for. spendy tires, but well worth it.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Longest life I've ever gotten out of a tire is 94k on a set of Toyo M-55s.
I'm running the new Toyo HT right now, fully expect them to last as long as M-55s but are so much quieter.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
I'm running the new Toyo HT right now......,
Bill,
I remember you mentioning these in a thread a few months ago. I am interested in finding out more about them.....but TOYO still does not show them on their web page??

RJ
Old 11-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by low c1500
I've ran alot alot of tires, the Toyo MT and wrangler MT are great, but the best dollar value is the BFgoodrich MT.
I agree, they work very well and last extremely long for what you pay for them!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by low c1500

I've had three sets of BFG MT's and each has warranted just shy or right at 50K miles. That's set at maximum air pressure and towing 10K+ about 40% of the time.

I've currently got Goodyear MTR's at the recommendation of a friend (I drove his truck and thought why not.). I'm finally getting ready for new wheels and I will be running right back to the BFG's for those.

I have to ride with DTR member Lightman a little more before I decide to try the Toyo MT's. I would have preferred to try those over the MTR's first, but they where and probably still are on national backorder.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rjohnson
Bill,
I remember you mentioning these in a thread a few months ago. I am interested in finding out more about them.....but TOYO still does not show them on their web page??

RJ
Yeah it's hard to find info on the H/T since they are so new but here's some http://www.toyocanada.com/products/OpenCountryHTEN.asp

I am very happy with them, had some snow and ice this week for the first time since I put them on, they did just as well as a more aggressive tire.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's difficult to make a good recommendation because people have such different priorities in tire performance. Some want traction above all, others mpg. Noise, ride, treadwear, all vary so much and tires are a huge compromise.

So my comments are just generalities:

1) Tires are a wear item. Something that lasts forever is giving up some other benefit to do so. Usually it's off-road performance, which doesn't matter to a lot of folks.

2) Siping is good. The more, the better.

3)Those same mud tires that happen to have good life (like a BFG MT) will be TERRIBLE on ice and wet stuff. The tread is a hard compound and the lugs aren't siped. Cold needs a soft compound and lots of sipes.

4) Ask yourself if you REALLY need a certain type of tire. If you buy off-road tires, you are giving up mpg, treadlife, and ice performance for off road capability you might not need. If you buy an all-terrain, you may have the worst of all worlds, not the best

5) Be willing to compromise things like comfort, appearance, and treadlife for things that have a great effect on traction. A tire's job is traction and load bearing-- period. If it can do more, then great.

6) Think of tires as insurance. If a better tire is the difference between stopping time or not stopping in time, then the premium tire has already offset the cost difference and then some.

7) Buy tires based on the worst conditions you expect to encounter, and know your vehicle's limits if you choose less capable tires. In other words, go ahead and buy highway rubber if that's the best fit for you-- but don't try to stick with a guy with Swampers on the trail. Or, buy a more aggressive tire if you expect to go on the trail.

8) If you will spend a lot of time on the trail, invest in a winch instead of super aggresive tires. A winch costs about as much as some Swampers, but doesn't give you such a penalty on the street. You'll be better off with some all-terrains and a winch than with some Swampers and no winch.

JMO

Quick Reply: Which tires have you guys had the best luck with?