Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tire rubbing issue, longer control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire rubbing issue, longer control arms?

The new Toyo Open Country M/T 315/75R16s turned out to be a good bit larger than the Les Schwab 315/75R16s that they replaced. The new tires actually touch the wheel well liner when the steering wheel is turned to full lock just sitting on level ground. I can tolerate a little rubbing at full lock with the suspsension compressed, but what I've got going on is not going to work at all offroad.

I noticed what looked like some 1/4" or so spacers on the front when the new tires were being installed. My first thought is to remove those as that should pull the edge of the tire away from the wheel well liner at full lock. I'm also thinking that 1/2-3/4" longer control arms would go a long ways towards alleviating my problem. I've seen the DT control arms. Any other recommendations?

The truck already has a leveling kit on it, about 2" or so. Probably installed by Les Schwab when the PO had the bigger tires originally installed. The wheels are 16x8s but I don't know how much backspacing they have. If longer control arms do not solve the issue, I will be looking at stepping down a size or two in tires, although I hate to do that with the 4.10 gears. But I do not want the truck to go any higher than it already is.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:20 PM

I prefer new coils to spacers. The DT arm should probably help. Currently running 285/75 BFG muds but next set is going to be Toyo m/t's in 3125/75 size.

Checked at the tire shop today and they said there was a 8 to 10 week backorder on them up here. Were they in stock when you got them? Might be worth going down your way to get tires?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:11 AM

DT arms

I have the DT arms 1/2" longer.
No rubbing with my 35" BFG's on Hummer H2 wheels.
SFB
Old 10-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rattlerattle
Checked at the tire shop today and they said there was a 8 to 10 week backorder on them up here. Were they in stock when you got them? Might be worth going down your way to get tires?
Les Schwab is supposedly the exclusive Toyo retailer in at least Washington. They want $289 per tire for the Toyo Open Country M/T 315/75R16 including mount & balance but plus WA state sales tax. Would have been out the door at $1304. Every Les Schwab store I talked to had that size in stock.

A member on NW Bombers hooked me up with a Discount Tire store in Renton, WA that are willing to special order Toyo tires. As long as the wholesaler is willing to ship, they will buy them. And they match internet prices + shipping, mounting & balancing, and sales tax. So I found the tires on OnlineTires.com for $225 a piece shipped. I went ahead and ordered them, they were here less than a week later, and the out the door price was $1054.

If you want them now, they are available down here.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Banned

Longer control arms will almost certaintly solve the problem cause when you put a 2" leveling kit on you actually pull the axle back slightly. Longer control arms would push it back to where it was originally so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Scramblinman
Les Schwab is supposedly the exclusive Toyo retailer in at least Washington. They want $289 per tire for the Toyo Open Country M/T 315/75R16 including mount & balance but plus WA state sales tax. Would have been out the door at $1304. Every Les Schwab store I talked to had that size in stock.

A member on NW Bombers hooked me up with a Discount Tire store in Renton, WA that are willing to special order Toyo tires. As long as the wholesaler is willing to ship, they will buy them. And they match internet prices + shipping, mounting & balancing, and sales tax. So I found the tires on OnlineTires.com for $225 a piece shipped. I went ahead and ordered them, they were here less than a week later, and the out the door price was $1054.

If you want them now, they are available down here.
Much appreciated. I will check with another local shop and see what they have to say otherwise a roadtrip may be in order.