Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Time for rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for rotors

So its almost time for rotors and pads. I have done a search and didnt come up with much. I do not want drilled rotors. Just wondering what everyone is running and how they like them? I have had excellent luck with stock Mopar brake pads. I have gotten over 75,000 miles on the front and rear sets both times. I also only used local parts stores rotors, again have had excellent luck with them too, should I just stick with them. I do use my jake brake all the time..
Old 11-30-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've done many brakes on these trucks, and have to agree with you that nothing seems to top the OEM Dodge pads on the 2000 and newer trucks.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:25 PM

I have also heard nothing but great things about the oem rotors, just not the value line though ....

As for pads, it seems the same as asking a guy what type of beer he likes to drink. Some pads bite well but wear fast, others have low dust, some are noisy, and others are quiet ....

Also something to consider if it is brake time for you is the 3rd gen brake upgrade for larger rotors and pads with a 3rd gen caliper bracket. You need 17" or larger wheels though, year round ....
Old 12-01-2011, 11:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I like Italian high quality for a great price Brembo rotors from www.tirerack.com
For pads Hawk Performance from the same place or Geno's
Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by infidel
I like Italian high quality for a great price Brembo rotors from www.tirerack.com
For pads Hawk Performance from the same place or Geno's
This is what I use as well. Perform better and last longer than OEM or the NAPA Extreme-Duty parts.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:37 PM

These are a great deal. Well made and cheap. Pair these with some EBC Yellow Stuff pads and you'll be a happy camper.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...2&autoModClar=
Old 12-04-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have used ebc slotted and dimpled rotors and green pads great ware, i'am on my second set ,first ones lasted 6 years
Old 12-04-2011, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the EBC GreenStuff pads and rotors on each of my vehicles. I like the stopping power of the EBC products better than the oem pads and rotors, which are very good. The EBC pads and rotors are available at Pep Boys.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I have been running the premium stuff from NAPA front and rear.

No problems and good parts.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The NAPA ultra premium rotors are very good as far as runout is concerned. I've used them on the company Ram CTD's since 2001 and have no complaints at all.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Chapter President

I put some premium advance auto rotors on mine and went with the wagner brake pads. Had EBC pads on before and they were great, no noise, stopped good. These wagner super, ultra mongo quiet pads suck, they're not so quiet! Stop good though.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 PM

been there done that, best upgrade was 3rd gen stuff, I use the ATE pads because they can be gotten locally. 2nd gen brakes are too small and when worked wear out fast, I've posted before how quickly they fail when used commercially. in a second gen a cheap pad is exactly that...cheap, heck even the high end ones suck, any way before I go off on a rant here is an exerpt from a post I put up a few yrs ago, maybe the things I learned will save others money and time

***cut and pasted this from one of my posts, link at bottom takes you to the thread****

Here my two cents,
First a little background, then you can decide if what I'm telling you is valid. I bought my truck 2yrs ago, its used for a delivery service(courior) it sees 8-10hrs a day in city stop and go traffic, hauling loads up to 2500#, I have logged approx 130,000kms of city driving (75,000miles approx)I'm I retired Military Mechanic, so i do all my own repairs. I also have the GM 1 ton rear wheel cyls, and adjust the rears every month, each month sees approx 5000-8000kms.
I believe the longest any brakes have lasted me was 23,000kms or just over 4 months.

OEM pads, were approx 60$ lasted about 2 months, they were quiet, but after a couple hard stops brake fade was evident, to be fair I used these before I had done the rear GM cyl mod.

No Name local parts store pads, lasted a month, lots of brake dust, would not stop worth crap. and were cheap (about 35$)

Wagner thermo Quiets (100$ approx) they were quiet, not too dusty, suffered brake fade, lasted about 3 months,

Raybestos Sure Stops, up till this point were the best of the lot, they flat out stopped, good bite when standing on the pedal, did not seem to brake fade when doing a extended hi-speed stop, lasted 3-4 months.

Bendix (commercial application) they came with a warranty that was good for one replacement set of brakes if you wore them out, but alas they dont honor this in Canada.
These are the holy grail of stopping power, the bite when you hit the pedal is absolutely amazing, they are fairly low dust, and long lasting, a little longer than 4 months and 23,000kms. the ONLY down side is the noise, they squeel alot when under light braking, when approaching a stop, if you push slightly harder the noise stops. These pads were approx 125$

Hawk pads, I have them on there now and they have only about a months use on them, they bite OK, are low dust. and are quiet, were 140$ . they are susposed to be a thicker pad material to help extend brake life. for what I paid and their performance I won't be using them again, I expected better,

NONE of the above pads are hard on the rotors, I replaced the rotors a while back as they were showing some wear, but it was faster to replace them instead of waiting for them to be re-surfaced. I kept them so I could turn them and re-use them the next time I was needing to replace them, just to speed up the down time.

I have read good things about EBC, but cant get them locally, so I stuck with what I could get. right now as soon as I've burned off the Hawks I'm switching the rotors and pads to the bigger 3rd gen brakes, I've already bought the caliper brackets and have 2 sets of factory chrome 3rd gen wheels (17inch) the difference between the 2nd and 3rd gens is huge.

here is how I rated the brakes, factoring in stopping power and longevity, and price, Plse note for each brand I bought the most expensive pad they carried in their line.
Bexdix: By far the best pad! just noisy, excellent stopping power, no fade under repeated hard applications
Raybestos: next best, good stopping power, and quiet
Hawk : Might last longer I dont know yet, but does not stop as good as the above 2 brands, they are close, but I would not buy them again even if they last longer.
Wagner: Quiet, better than OEM for bite, brake fade evident
OEM : cheap pad good if you dont use your truck under hard conditions
Local House brands: a waste of money, if the pads are cheap, thats exactly what they are

Take my opinion for what its worth, every one has brands they like, and use them under different conditions, remember my info is based on my use

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...s-t237903.html

the update was that shortly after this post I did swap over to the 3rd gen stuff, absolutely the best things for the brakes, I would get a year easily under the same driving conditions and still have 30-40 % remaining. funny part was I had spent north of 900$ on pads alone in the time I owned my truck, if I had known about the upgrade I'd have saved alot of cash and down time
Old 12-07-2011, 10:27 AM

I just wanted to say thanks alot guys for all your opinions and such. I love this site. I think for my truck I am going to the 3rd gen brake swap. I am going to 40 inch tires after my 38s wear down. Since the body lift the 38s look tiny. The bigger size rotors seem like a great idea. I have noticed when I was in a dire need for braking on my truck the brakes really werent there. I had the pedal to the floor and it was just rolling getting closer and closer to the car in front of me. I did stop, but thats when I started thinking I needed some new stopping power. I do have plenty of pad left on my brakes now and thats with almost 70k miles on them !!!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:15 AM

.........Can i use the 3rd gen upgrade on the rear of my 01, it has factory discs, or is the front upgrade that all thats needed......thanks....kim......
Old 12-24-2011, 12:38 AM

most benifet will be seen out of the front swap, I've seen it posted that the rears will swap over as well, but have no first hand experience with the rears