Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TC Stall Speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question TC Stall Speed

My trans calved on me 3 weeks ago. I was in a rush to get it fixed as I was leaving for holidays in 5 days. I talked to Dave Goerend and he couldn't get me a TC and VB in time as he was leaving town as well. I ended up ordering a TC from Pro-West in Edmonton who used to supply BD with torque converters. It's a low stall, billetted cover TC called a ProTow. I picked the truck up Friday night 2 weeks ago and hit the road Sat morning.

2 weeks and 4K km's later I'm thinking that I got a stock stall speed converter. It runs like the stock converter; revs to 2900, the truck catches up, shifts drop about 100RPM. It locks up like crazy though. Good kick in the pants. I tried the 4 second brake stand and can't keep the back wheels from spinning. I can play with the throttle and the tires break loose at about 2200-2300 RPM.

I phoned ProWest this morning and they confirmed that part # was the Low-Stall, billetted converter. I took the truck back to the trans shop. I've dealt there for years. I've got an appointment tomorrow for them to check it out. I have no doubt that ProWest and my trans shop will make everything right.

I've never been in another truck with a decent TC so I don't know what to expect. What I'm wondering is how everybody elses low stall converter works. Do you get a realistic drop in RPM shifting under WOT? Does your TC grab when you hit the throttle in 3rd Unlocked?

Thanks guys.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Pro-Torque converter was no comparison to the stock converter. You have to hold the brake at and idle. When you are at WOT the converter acts almost like its locked, stif kick in the paints shifts. Most of the shift stuff comes from the valve body with higher line pressures. Brake stall on mine is about 1500rpm's now.
Good luck
Old 07-06-2004, 09:08 PM

Thanks. The salesman I talked to on the phone today was a tarhole. He told me it wasn't slipping. Pretty smart for being 350 miles away. I'm going to try to get my money back for this thing. I can buy a DTT for $200 more. Live and learn I guess.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:26 PM
The Guru

Do you have a modified valve body? Mine locks up the converter during the 3 gear shift (I can't remember if a stock valvebody does this or not). When the truck is in third gear, my rpm on drop about 100 rpm, in full lock-up vs non lock-up. I have a 94% BD LX low stall converter. I can get 50kph, without even touching the throttle (high gear of course). It pushes the brakes very hard and in when the truck is in low 4X4 range, you can't stop with the brakes. My stall speed is about 1700rpm, then the tires just smoke. Whats you turbo lag like? Mines around the 2 second mark with my HY-35 turbo. My converter feels makes my truck feel like a manual stick truck as I have to put the truck into neutral to stop. I hate this converter for towing, as you need lots of ump to start moving, then the tires bust loose, then you dump the throttle. Then your back with no boost and no movement. You almost have to boost lanuch to get eventhing to start moving. For a diesel truck that makes big torque numbers you have to buy a tricked out tranny from a very top highend shop. I just smoked my od clutch and I plan to buy a trick DTT tranny. They are about as good as money can buy as for transmissions.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Mike Holmen
Mine locks up the converter during the 3 gear shift (I can't remember if a stock valvebody does this or not).
Yes it does.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:28 AM

Mike, that TC sounds brutal. I definately don't need anything like that. I just want something that doesn't feel like mush when it's not locked up. I've got about 1 sec of lag. It stays unlocked shifting from 3rd to OD.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:06 PM

Trevor's Transmissions in Saskatoon is giving me my money back for the Prowest TC. I've been dealing there for years. What a stand-up guy. He's going to install the DTT 89H I just ordered when it gets in. I'm sure going to keep sending him all the business I can.

Prowest doesn't seem to want to deal with me. It's a wonder how they can stay in business. Crappy product, crappier service.