Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tapping the IP wire - whats the big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tapping the IP wire - whats the big deal?

Why is there such a big deal made over tapping into the wire for the Injection pump when installing a Edge Juice? I see lots of comments about people "not tapping the wire", "Just wait until you tap it", etc... Honesty whats the big deal???

Does it shorten the life of the injection pump?
or
Does it shorten the life of the lift pump?
or
Void some type of vehicle warranty?
or
Does is just look bad?
or
Do people just don't like the idea of poking something through the insulation of that wire?
or
What?
Old 03-20-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The big gains of the juice are not seen until you "tap the wire". The juice has a wire that pierces the wiring going into the VP44 pump. This connection aloows the juice the tell the VP44 to push more fuel giving a performance boost.

It also shortens the life of the VP44, or so its said. Obvisously if its working harder its not going to last as long. Also if the LP pump system has not been addressed to keep up with the extra demand it will soon crater as well.

And yes if you have a warrenty on the engive or pump it will void it.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Banned

I don't know what the big deal is. Mine's been tapped for 100+k miles and I've never looked back. Yes it will void the warranty on the pump and yes it can shorten the life of it but there's no set rule as to how much shorter it will make it if it does anything at all. A good rule of thumb is if it doesn't die within the first 10 miles then it's probably just gonna die whenever it was supposed to.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Banned

I got a new engine at 98k but still have the original vp44 from the factory. Now I have 220k on the truck and still the original vp44.the wire has been taped for 50k no problems. I don’t see the point in buying a comp or a juice if you are not going to tap the wire. a lot of people on this site are scared to tap, I say you should have got a EZ if you are going to do that.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 4RnrRick
It may or may not... BigBlue had it pretty much right on. If the pump lasts past the first few heavy throttle experiments, it will probably be ok as long as you supply it will fuel. It most likely is going to die sometime and by tapping the wire, you could be shortening that lifespan.
Does it shorten the life of the lift pump?
I wouldn't think directly.. it's best to just pony up the dough and replace the factory P.O.S. anyhow.
Void some type of vehicle warranty?
Most certainly... would be one of the first things a technician is going to look for if a truck comes in with a variety of engine conditions....
Does is just look bad?
If you know what you're doing and use the proper tools and supplies, it looks just fine... but I don't let anyone look under the hood of my truck... best to keep them guessin'.
Do people just don't like the idea of poking something through the insulation of that wire?
If you're not comfortable with messing with a critical wire on your vehicle, I could see this being a daunting task. The best way to tap the wire is by actually stripping a portion of the wire and soldering the connection... this isn't easily done under the hood in that cramped space. The posi-taps and scotchlock connectors don't always make good connections and occasionally, you'll see a post pop up about not noticing a difference after tapping the wire and generally, that is traced back to not getting a good connection to the pump wire(or tapping the wrong wire).

Also agree on this comment to a point... what is the point of purchasing a wire tapping box if you're not going to tap the wire??? I would agree 100% if it wasn't for the Juice/Attitude... some guys just want the digital gauge and readout and for them, they get that functionality with a little pep in a J/A and simply running it as an EZ....
Old 03-20-2007, 05:49 PM

For me - I have no problem "tapping" the wire. (well once I get it - I Just ordred a JWA today.)

I was just wondering whats the big deal. I think I'm just going to solder mine for a good permanent connection. That or make my own "stealth" cover.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Muted User

What I find funny is the people on here who pay the big bucks for the Edge Comp and don't tap the pump wire. So basically all they did was overpay for an Edge EZ that has lights on it!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:54 PM

Other than it voids the warranty, I see no problem. I got a new VP44 a couple weeks ago and tapped the wire as soon as I got it home.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned

The pump shop guy told me most of the time the pump goes bad cause the tap lets the ip wire get all craped up. he said if you soter it and seal it good, you wont have problems.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:41 PM

The only reason I haven't tapped the wire is because I know I'd be tempted to dial up the comp to 5 and waste my tranny. I'm not quite ready to shell out 4 to $5,000 right now. Time to save $$$. Spent a big part of that to take my girlfriend to Hawaii in July. Anybody have willing to donate me a built tranny?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by MARKY MARK
Anybody have willing to donate me a built tranny?
I'd send you a quarter if you shorten your sig =P
Some of the competition boxes will kill the vp44 in short order. There's no question the tap makes the pump work harder which isn't going to help with reliablility. Some folks install a comp or the like and go for a test run just to get a dead vp44- so it appears that a wire tap can kill a vp44 that has been dieing a slow death