Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Sound Deadening Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound Deadening Hood?

Anyone done it to theirs? What did you use? What'd you do for the prep work? Is it just going to make it too hot under the hood?

Looking into it. Just thought I'd start here... Would it be worth it or is it just a waste of time and money?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bgt a Hood Liner/noise absorber from the outfit in L.A. that was selling them a few yrs back.
Lowered noise level (standing by the left front tire) by 2 db's. Not really noticable at idle.
It did not change egt's or increase tendency for coolant to get hotter.... and we get 90*+ for 6 months of the yr.

Evert little bit helps but I would say it's not worth the time or expense.

RJ
Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 PM

stereo stores sell hoodliner made by a company called dynamat, probably wont help much with engine noise but it does keep the heat down for less chance of paint issues especially with new paint jobs looks pretty cool also but it isn't cheap and for most people not worth the money,

I have my whole truck dynamatted because of the stereo that was once in it, that helps with road noise pretty well again not cheap though
Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Dynamat makes a version specifically for engine compartments- it will help probably more than the factory one. That's what it's designed for- noise insulation not temp. PLanning on it myself next year- factory is about on it's last leg.
If you really want to go quite there is a company (I for get who) that makes insulation pads/blankets for the engine- one for the exhaust manifold/turbo, one for the oil pan/lower block, and one for the upper block. That kind of thing is noise and heat, generally used in marine engines where physical requirements need an insulation for the engine from people. Bonus, exhaust/turbo pad will keep exhaust in the manifold and less into the engine compartment lowering IAT as well as increasing thermal efficiency of the turbo. They were not cheap, but were really interesting.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:06 PM

ATP is the company and they are very proud of their products. Could easily spend $1k on all the pieces. I have heard the oil pan and the head cover make the biggest difference.

http://www.atpwrap.com/home.html