Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty Questions?!?! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Smarty Questions?!?! HELP

Alright, I've got a smarty coming in the mail today. Hopefully some of you have read some of my posts about the new vp44 but less boost thread?! Since I added the SO in replacement of the HO after an overwhelming majority of people here told me to do so, I have been getting shafted on about 10psi boost and just an overall loss of some power.

The way I understand, the HO puts out more pressure, but the SO puts out more volumn. With that said, the smarty should work better with the SO than the HO. Also, the way I understand it, the ecm on my truck needs to be reprogrammed when I get this smarty in to coincide with the SO pump instead of the HO. How do I do this?!

So I guess my question in a nutshell is... how do I use the smarty when i get it to set my ecm up for the SO pump where it is currently set up for the HO pump? And do you think that this alone without running any smarty programs will restore my past power?! Please help!
Old 12-18-2007, 04:46 PM

HELLOOOOOO?!?! Anyone out there??
Old 12-18-2007, 06:23 PM

Well I guess I'd follow the instructions. They are very good and easy to follow. They are even on the back of the unit. I don't think it cares which fuel pump you have.
I'd probably try 4 or 5 on the Smarty with your current box at a low level and see what happens. Check you EGT. You should have 3200-3400 to play with.

I think 1 is too much timing unless you tone back your comp.

My tune is not as high as yours so I can't really say for sure.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:51 PM

When you load SMARTY, it will read your VIN number to find out what version truck you have so it's is going to think you have an HO and load the fueling curves for the HO ECM. It's best to talk to Bob directly on issues like this....

But onto your fueling problem. Losing 10 psi is a bunch and I would be inclined to think it is somewhere else in the system.... did you get the wire pierced correctly?? That's where I'd start first... Are you blacking out 4 lanes of traffic?? Perhaps a boost leak then... The pump should work just fine with your truck.

To answer some of your other questions, the reason it is suggested to swap an SO pump into HO trucks is because the SO pump will push more CC's of fuel than the HO pump. As you get closer to the 500-550 hp range, the HO pump starts to top out... I'm sure some have taken them over 6 bills but it would probably take more effort than it's worth. This is where the HRVP-44 came from... the way I understand it, the HRVP-44 is a combination of the best parts of both pumps... but it costs more than stock replacement. It seems to be on par with the SO pump for ultimate power though it will make more power with less mods in the low horsepower ranges... it's supposed to be worth 70-100 ponies by itself. This is why guys experimented with swapping the SO pump.. it's cheaper and for big horsepower, it's basically the same ceiling as an HRVP-44.

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry about getting your injectors pop tested... aftermarket injectors for the 24 Valve work on both engines... really don't think that's the root of your issues.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you haven't changed injectors the SO pump will cost horsepower. It's advantage comes when you move to bigger injectors.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by WestTN
If you haven't changed injectors the SO pump will cost horsepower. It's advantage comes when you move to bigger injectors.
His sig already shows 80 hp injectors.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:43 AM

So you guys don't think that the ecm being programmed for the HO pump and actually using the SO pump would have anything at all to do with my loss of power?

Now that I have used the smarty on an few different levels, it seems like I have all the power I could hope for. The only thing is that my turbo is still peaking lower than it used to?!?!?! I don't know what the hell the problem is. There is no leak around boots, intake, nothing!! I've checked and checked! Not sure what else it could be, seein as how everything else worked great prior to changing the pump. My boost was all there, everything. Any ideas please let me know. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Some questions first:

What kind of boost gauge do you use (I know i kinked the line on mine more than once and had mysteriously low boost readings without any side effects...)

Did your EGTs rise or drop with the pump swap- if they dropped dramatically you don't fuel as much as before. But if they only dropped a little or not at all it's OK- new pump can do the timing correctly.

The reason for swapping an HO for an SO pump is that upwards of a Mach5 injector the HO runs out of volume to push through.
For any smaller injector the HO pump will have more power with a wire tap box.

Since I don't see a turbo in your signature I assume stock- so this is the limiting factor IMO on your truck, you are overfueled at the moment.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM

Last edited by AlpineRAM; 12-20-2007 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Messed up H and S and this made the post plainly wrong!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:43 AM

dont use you edge box with the odd smarty #s because it will add to much timing because your edge does timing already. use you edge with say 8or 6 on the smarty.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
The reason for swapping an HO for an SO pump is that upwards of a Mach5 injector the SO runs out of volume to push through.
For any smaller injector the HO pump will have more power with a wire tap box.
Pretty sure you got your pumps reversed....

cbhester, I'll ask again, did you get the wire tapped correctly... 10 psi is a bunch of boost to lose. That's a either bunch of fuel that is no longer available or a boost leak. For example, my daily combination is a Smarty and DD3's. With that, I can produce between 42 and 45psi of boost(BD twins). When I turn the power on to my TST Competition, I can produce 55+psi...

What are your EGT's like now?? What is your smoke level like?? Lower smoke and EGT's would indicate that you're not fueling as hard as you were before. Higher smoke and EGT's would indicate that you have a boost issue.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Thanks Graphite!

I edited my post accordingly- typo devil ain't sleeping.

AlpineRAM
Old 12-20-2007, 03:06 PM

Thanks for comments.

When I took off the elbow going to the intake, I did not remove the wire that is connected to that elbow to read boost. I could have possibly kinked it or something, I will check.

As for the rest of the questions... it feels like the truck is making fine power, only reading lower in boost? Could be a kinked wire as you said. However, it does seem to be smoking less than it previously did. Prior to changing pumps, I did not have a smarty programmer. I could turn my edge box all the way up and smoke out half the country, after the SO pump, not so much. BTW, I do have an HX40 turbo, I somehow did not get that in my sig, I will fix.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:19 AM

anyone there?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:12 AM

I assume you have an EGT gauge too- did your EGTs change?

EGTs and smoke are determined by the amount of fuel and the timing by the IP (and by the amount of air in the jug)

If your old pump had a P0216 (Timing failure) you ran with retarded timing, increasing EGTs and therefore boost with the same amount of fuel.

An HO pump will flow more fuel through a given injector than an SO pump. (until you get into the realm of Mach 5 injectors that "add" 200hp)

Since you have "good" power now and there is less smoke and less boost it sounds to me like you have found a much better setup than before. You now burn all the fuel instead of throwing it out the exhaust in the form of soot.

AlpineRAM