Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty- The new CaTCHER

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 09:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Fueling with no timing: TST powermax and blue chip Fuel Managment System

www.tstproducts.com

www.bluechipdiesel.com

Oh, and you'll want bigger injectors than 275s. They're good, but too small. Some mach 1.6s will net better mpg and about 40hp more.

All Edge boxes add timing, and some feel (I do) that it adds too much.

If you are going with a Smarty or Catcher, then the TST is your best box.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie8301
So will the smarty have both versions (with & without timing)? What about the other 8 settings, just different power levels?

Apparently, a couple are different power levels, but most are just variants of pedal response.

The other thread mentioned that there was a "fuel saver" program and a "half power" program or something like that. All the rest are normal Catcher versions, but with differing levels of pedal touchiness.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally got my catcher and now they come out with bigger and better

oh well at least they offer a discount if ya already got one lol

Bryan
Old 12-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Muted User

Ummmm, ok this is like going to the strip clubs where you cant touch......

I am DYING HERE !!!!!!!

Ok so someone got the BETA test model yesterday.... Did it work ?? Yes? Ok, good enough BETA test for me. I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!!

I'm thinking total complete sick ECM setup would be the Smarty on setting 9 and a Blue Chip REDLINE BOX !!

KP
Old 12-20-2005, 10:12 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should have a few dozen dyno runs soon. I will give everyone the low down on the performance. With luck my Smarty will be here tomorrow or Thursday!! Let me get through the holidays and I will get it tested.

Don~
Old 12-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ocmechanx
oh well at least they offer a discount if ya already got one lol
But, only if you order the Smarty before 1-15-06.

We want to offer a special pricing to all our previous customers
who have purchased the CaTCHER ECM in the past.

This offer is time limited, for all preorders placed up to 01/15/2006.
Our way to say THANK YOU for your support...

phox
Old 12-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fiveology
The FAQ says it adds the most power when combined with a wire tapping fueling box that doesn't add timing. I am new to this Cummins stuff, so what box would fit that description? Does a Comp add timing or is it just a fueling box. I have been following the Catcher threads, and am very interested in the new version. I just bought an 01 SO and am ready to do some mods, I am going to order gauges and exhuast and a FASS next week, and I was going to get a comp too, but don't want to if it won't work well with the new Catcher. Basically my question is would a box (which one?), the new Catcher, a FASS, exhaust and intake, and maybe some 275s be a good daily driver combo? Guess I'll probably need a clutch too. Sorry for the long post and hijack.
Welcome to DTR...

With that combo you will be pushing the limits of the stock turbo, and the auto tranny, maybe clutch if it is a stick...
Old 12-21-2005, 01:23 AM

I have the Catcher, PDR HX40/16, Mach 1.6s and the TST PM3. With the Catcher I hardly ever turn on the TST box. The acceleration with just the Catcher and 1.6s is plenty strong, way more than you will need in everyday driving. If I did not already have the TST box before I bought the Catcher, I would not have bought it. You will need auto tranny or manual clutch upgrades with injectors and a Catcher.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Don M
I should have a few dozen dyno runs soon. I will give everyone the low down on the performance. With luck my Smarty will be here tomorrow or Thursday!! Let me get through the holidays and I will get it tested.

Don~
Excellent. Looking forward to it
Old 12-21-2005, 07:52 AM

This is an awsome new upgrade. I just can't decide what to get now. The new smarty or a set of injectors. What do you think would be a better investment?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by 600 Megawatts
Ummmm, ok this is like going to the strip clubs where you cant touch......

I am DYING HERE !!!!!!!

Ok so someone got the BETA test model yesterday.... Did it work ?? Yes? Ok, good enough BETA test for me. I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!!

I'm thinking total complete sick ECM setup would be the Smarty on setting 9 and a Blue Chip REDLINE BOX !!

KP
Kevin,

It kinda makes you think twice about giving up the PM3, huh? It sounds like the fueling only boxes will take the most advantage of the Smarty software. Do you still want to trade your PM3 for a Comp? I think this Smarty is going to change the way we go about bombing 24v's. I can't wait - but now I think I want to ditch the Comp and go for a fuel only box when the Smarty becomes available.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:16 AM

I think it will ROCK! just like the CaTCHER. I have a Comp and hardly ever use it anymore. With the Mach 2.5's and the CaTCHER it has enough power now. I will recommend Marco's products to anyone!
Old 12-21-2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by farmer dave
This is an awsome new upgrade. I just can't decide what to get now. The new smarty or a set of injectors. What do you think would be a better investment?
The Smarty would probably better-- it's a lot more flexible.

Injectors are basically an amplifier. Get the Smarty, and if you love it, then bigger injectors will just give you more of it!

jh
Old 12-21-2005, 09:33 AM

OK, I found a post on the different power levels.

SW# 0 : Half power .
SW# 1 : Fuel Saver
SW# 2 : Only Fuel and Boost
SW# 3 : Like # 2 + timing
SW# 4 : “Soft” CaTCHER
SW# 5 : Like # 4 + Timing
SW# 6 : Mild CaTCHER
SW# 7 : Like # 6 + Timing
SW# 8 : CaTCHER no timing
SW # 9 : CaTCHER with Timing

So, each unit has 11 softwares-- 10 custom ones and 1 stock one. The ten custom ones include what's listed above.

There are basically four "catchers" from mild to super-aggressive. Since each of these four versions also has a "no timing" version to play better with timing-containing boxes (like a Comp), that accounts for 8 out 10 custom softwares.

The last two are the "half power" and "fuel saver" Softwares.

The usefulness of the four "flavors" of Catcher will come when you start to stack it with a TST or something. This will allow you to dial in your low-end response. Why would you want that?

Well, some guys (like RJohnson on here) found that the original Catcher (super aggressive) actually put in TOO MUCH fuel on the bottom when combined with his fueling box. This bogged the truck down, and killed performance.

Now, the beauty of a box like a TST is that they are willing to generate all kinds of custom programs.

So, imo, the flexibility of the Smarty and the flexibility of a custom TST box would allow a person to dial in the EXACT fueling setup they want to have. It's exciting to consider that possibility.--jh
Old 12-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by HOHN
It's exciting to consider that possibility.--jh
Yes, it is. Good info on the power levels, Hohn - thanks, but it just makes me more impatient about the availability of the Smarty!

Quick Reply: Smarty- The new CaTCHER