Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty. Major news!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
are you unzipping the files into a new folder?
Old 05-25-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
are you unzipping the files into a new folder?
Unzipped them onto the desktop. Do I need to put them into a folder? Where is that instruction?
Old 05-25-2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
Unzipped them onto the desktop. Do I need to put them into a folder? Where is that instruction?

http://www.madselectronics.com/downl...stallation.pdf

when you have the zipped folder on your computer, righr click on the zipped folder to "extract all"
Old 05-25-2006, 01:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Geico266
I took a hand full.

If you can update the Smarty in ONE try I'll give you $10,000. Oh that's right you already owe me $10K for my original VP-44 going 200K miles.
I updated my Smarty on the first try not even knowing how to do it.

I'll PM you my address for the check

Seriously though, it's not that hard. Let me see if I can put it in English for you:

First you have to download the Smarty drivers that let your Computer talk to and understand the Smarty. Otherwise, it doesn't know what to do. It will know that there's a USB device connected, but since it won't be able to find drivers for it, it will "run to mommy." So you'll need to install the drivers.

To install the drivers, create a "Smarty" folder on your desktop. If you don't know how to do this, sell your computer and your truck, as you probably can't be trusted with either JUST KIDDING. Just right click on an empty area of the desktop and clcik on "New-->folder", the name it "Smarty".

Save the "Driver" zip file into this folder (download it to folder). The unzip the files within this folder on your desktop. Once these are unzipped, you'll see the .exe file that will install the drivers for you. The drivers are now installed and you're ready to use the program that will use these drivers. This program might be included in the driver download, or it may be a separate download. Either way, make sure you save this to the same "Smarty" folder on your desktop. This is the program that will actually use the drivers and the data file to talk to Smarty and update the software on it.

Finally, you have to download the actual data file that will be stored in Smarty. Save this to your "Smarty" folder as well.

Now, using your "Smarty" program, you can install the new data file over the old one and update your smarty programmer.

Presto-- you're done.

JH
Old 05-25-2006, 01:29 PM

thanks for chiming in Justin
Old 05-25-2006, 01:38 PM

I had a hard time too until Bob walked me through it. Thanks Bob. If I can do it anybody can. -Ray-
Old 05-25-2006, 01:43 PM

Tiger I'm still at work or I could try to help you out. If you still haven't got it by the time I get home I'll go through it with you.
Mike
Old 05-25-2006, 02:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
thanks for chiming in Justin
What? Moi? Late to the party? Surely you jest
Old 05-25-2006, 03:21 PM

Well, finally got the driver loaded into the new computer (My work computer-XP OS), but that wasn't particularly easy either. Now I'm downloading the programs into the Smarty. I really appreciate the help Bob, but I got to tell you, this is not the best written software I've ever seen. Maybe it is pretty good for a one man show though. Never got it going on my W2000 machine though. I hope Marco gets a chance to streamline the inet download process. Not taking anything away from the product, it is awesome, but it is still $650 bucks and should have better software. Not trying to be harsh, just offering feedback so the product can improve. If I was an idiot on the computer I'd be more leanient, but goodness sakes, I'm on this thing nearly everyday and have plenty-o-gadgets that hook into this dude. Should be easier in my opinion, dunno, maybe I've having a blonde moment, and heck, I'm not even blonde.......
Old 05-25-2006, 05:06 PM

Tiger you'll feel much better after you download the update into your ECM. Nice long weekend coming up, Life is good .
Old 05-25-2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by MKELLY
Tiger you'll feel much better after you download the update into your ECM. Nice long weekend coming up, Life is good .
It is now. I haven't run it yet. Had to mow grass and plant a few shrubs. I loaded sw9. We'll see how it runs.....after I get out of the shower.....
Old 05-25-2006, 09:08 PM

I did my update and I have to say, the new software is even better! I have a 01 and had the flat spot, well all gone!! Very nice!!

About the down loading, I did have to call Bob, and he was great about helping-thanks Bob. I would have to say updating this with out help is almost impossible. Down loading and un-zipping is easy, but there are no farther directions that I could find? Seams after you install the smarty usb driver, you need to then get the program that puts the smarty icon on your desk top. Then you have to get the updated program that you want to replace. Now that the programs are all on your computor, run the smarty icon, go to open, and open the program you want updated, then hit start. It took about 12 min to update the smarty, it now updates the ecm in about half the time!

If in doubt call Bob!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:10 PM

sw9 seemed tamer than before. I guess since it is smoother, but I'm not sure it's got the same punch as before. Anyone else notice this. If this is the case, I'd like to have the old program......well, and I'd like to have this one too....I do like it....seems less smokey too. I could do without 2 or 3, I've never even used them and replace one of them with old #9.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned

So which one of the downloads are we supposed to get? I got the latest USB driver installed and I'm downloading the cold weather start and winter fuel program right now but which one includes the updated ECM upload speed? Do all of them include it? It took me a couple of minutes to figure out what was going on but now it's all better.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Banned

Never mind. Got if figured out. Dang this thing upgrades fast. Now if only you could do it on the fly. That'd be sweet.

Quick Reply: Smarty. Major news!