Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

shift kit anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shift kit anyone?

Well i am having my tranny overhauled and i cant afford a performance tranny so i had a shift kit installed. What all will i notice over the stock shifts with this? Was it a good idea? or should i just left it out. my truck has 94,000 miles on it so it dont shift like it used too.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:49 PM

all anybody has is a shift kit-per se-,,many people here will tell you you should buy a complete valvebody instead,but all your getting by doing that is getting a vb that has had a shift kit put in it to the liking and tweeking of the vendor.if you could swing it,,for around 400 more you could look into a low stall convertor that would help you out even more.the high end trannys discussed here are super to have,but ,i know people running over 400 hp with a shift kit and some of the lower priced convertors that have been having excellent results for many miles.im sure some people will disagree with me on this one,,but you dont have to spend megabucks to greatly improve over the stock setup....good luck with it..bama
Old 05-19-2004, 07:19 AM
Banned

Excellent post bama, you are absolutely right.

Superdave, with what modifications you have a shift kit is all you really need but a better fluid coupling TC would make your truck a wee bit more fun to drive.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:57 AM

SuperDave,
How much do these shift kits cost?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Banned

I had a shiftkit(spring kit) put into my valve body & the pressure hole opened up at about 30,000 miles with an edge EZ & 275 INJECTORS. I kept the stock convertor because I didn't have the extra money to buy another TC at the time. I got 183,000 miles before the stock TC started slipping under the load of my 11,000 pound boat. I then was mislead into buying one of the low-end triple locks, because the guy said it was just as good as a suncoast,ats,dtt,etc. What a liar he turned out to be. That piece of junk haunted me for 6 months before I got them to take it out, & I went to suncoast & got there triple-lock. You get what you pay for. Now, I will say this, I could have used SUNCOAST'S big single disc & been just as happy, & saved 400 bucks. I would take their single disc over any of the off-the-wall brand of triple-locks out there. The odd-ball TRIPLE-LOCK I had was made by TRANSMISSION CRAFTERS, in case someone wants to know who it was. The guy who sold me that junk sent a pallet of them back to them, because mine was not the first one to disintagrate. So, everyone beware of the brand TRANSMISSION CRAFTER--THEY ARE STRAIGHT JUNK!! When buying a HIGH-ERFORMANCE VALVE BODY, you are paying a lot of extra money for nothing. The guy that just re-did mine when I put the suncoast tc in,built it right in front of me in no more than 10 minutes. All these guys do is put stiffer springs(shift kit) which probably doesn't cost more than 20 bucks, but don't hold me to that. They drill out the high pressure hole a little or a lot depending on what they are trying to achieve. I am sure someone will BLAST me for saying the above, but I saw it done that way. Just my 2 CENTS worth.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by bama
all anybody has is a shift kit-per se-,,many people here will tell you you should buy a complete valvebody instead,but all your getting by doing that is getting a vb that has had a shift kit put in it to the liking and tweeking of the vendor.if you could swing it,,for around 400 more you could look into a low stall convertor that would help you out even more.the high end trannys discussed here are super to have,but ,i know people running over 400 hp with a shift kit and some of the lower priced convertors that have been having excellent results for many miles.im sure some people will disagree with me on this one,,but you dont have to spend megabucks to greatly improve over the stock setup....good luck with it..bama
I'll second that.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:31 PM

just for clarification,,i know there are some cheap,knock off convertors out there,,but as i said,,there are some good quality lower price convertors out there.down here in bama where i live,,theres -high performance convertors-out of muscle shoales alabama,,that sales a nice single disc fer around 400 that ive seen personally thats holding up to over 400 hp nicely.these are cow trailor pulling guys that run 8.60`s with there trucks thru the eighth on weekends playing.i have a goerends myself that has been holding up nicely with several 20+lb launches in 4x4 at 1.90 60 ft times that i havent had any problems with at all.......hope this helps you out....bama
Old 05-20-2004, 08:25 AM
Chapter President

Bama, Do you have a contact name/number for the converter maker?
Old 05-20-2004, 11:20 AM

mike...i sent you a pm with the info you asked for.being as how that company is not a site sponsor,i thought it would be better to keep it in pm.................bama
Old 05-20-2004, 11:26 AM

oh you guys are brave
i also think the way you guys do
i have a shift kit, i need a good tq converter but dont have $1000 for one
can you pm me the info also bama

thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 12:27 PM

Me too......me too please.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Chapter President

Thanks Bama!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:26 AM

O.K. let me get this straight. I can upgrade my transmisson (47RE) with a shift kit for less than $100 and a better TC for $400 put it in myself (assuming I do it right) and be good to go for up to 400 or so hp for a couple of years??? What I don't get is why these parts are going to make my trans last longer. Aren't these parts going to allow me to power through the trans thus INCREASING the possibility of the transmission itself failing?
Old 05-21-2004, 06:15 PM

the shift kit you install is going to up line pressures and make your clutch packs hold on better.thus,less slip,,longer life.all this is considering that your seals are in good shape and will hold the higher line pressures.if you have alot of miles,,replacing seals would definitely be the norm for in stalling these parts.there are upgraded seals available from dodge that help out in this.puitting a new vb and con in a high mileage tranny wouldnt be a good idea.if it has wear,it needs to be gone thru completely...........bama
Old 05-23-2004, 11:14 AM

ok got my shift kit put in had my tranny rebuilt so far i like it, but now when i put it into drive or reverse it jerks abit more than it used to.

I've read all of the above and now im wondering if if i go out and buy one of those 400 dollar TQ could my tranny hold up a COMP box? or just an EZ and some 275s?

Quick Reply: shift kit anyone?