Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Seeking Knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking Knowledge

Newbie to the forum and to CTD. I would like to improve on the engine performance with a little more kick in the pants excitement. The truck is a commuter for work, leisure and recreation. I will probably never use the CTD for towing its maximum load and limitations rather considering longevity and increased performance being the goal. I would like to increase the stock HO numbers to the 300-325 hp range with and increase in low to mid range torque. I have read that the Cummins engine has a great deal of untapped potential for improved efficiency/ performance and can be modified without sacrificing its dependability.

Disclaimer: With this in consideration, I also realize that modifying stock configurations results in voiding of warranty and hence I am my own warranty shop. (Bombers anonymous, Hi my name is …….. and I am a bombaholic).

1.   Gauges: establish baseline and monitor
What type? Boost, Pyrometer, Fuel Pressure
What type: mechanical or electrical? Why?
Are all (3) gauges necessary?
How bad is the smell in the cab with FP gauge (mechanical)?

Step I

2. Fuel enhancement: Van AAken vs. Edge EZ or COMP (do not connect the wire)? Which one? (pros and cons).

Step II

3 Free-flowing air filter in the stock air box, AFE mega cannon or scotty air system. (Realize that stock air system is dependable up to 350 hp)

4. Replace stock muffler with high, free flowing (performance) muffler or straight piped? What do you recommend for drop in replacement? (By changing the exhaust will improve air flow, exhaust spool up and reduced exhaust temps?)

I do not envision exceeding the above mentioned performance gains.

I will pray to the Gods that the bug does not bite and that I will remain humble with these modifications and gains.

I would appreciate your suggestions/ experience on best bang for buck which would include brands name of each component mentioned.

Tx,

Kurt

Old 11-04-2003, 09:44 PM

Re:Seeking Knowledge

OK
1. Fuel Pressure and Pyro should be considered necessary in a 2nd gen truck. Boost is good to have, not all that necessary. Boost's are mechanical. I run a Isspro pryo, and it's electrical. Not sure if there is a mechanical pyro, maybe Di-pricol? Fuel pressure gauges i've heard of are mechanical. You can run an isolator to keep the diesel out of the cab it that bothers you, or run it straight to the gauge. Mine is run straight to the gauge and there is absolutely no diesel smell in the cab.

2. Van AAken-never used one, don't know. Edge EZ- good bang for the buck. Good power, have ran one for over a year with all smiles and no problems. Edge Comp-If your never going to hook up the wire, don't waste the money. If you think you're going to want more power later, get the Comp. If you do hook up the wire, you'll probably have to put some $$ in a better clutch

3. Get the Scotty, it will lower your EGT's

4. IF you like it a little loud, straight pipe it. I ran a 3.5 inch dynomax race magnum muffler for a while and liked it alot, right in between stock and strait in loudness. A more open exhaust will help gasses exit faster, causing better spool up and lower EGT's

Good luck with the bombing bug
Old 11-05-2003, 07:00 AM

1) Fuel Pressure is a must; Westach, makes an electical with sending unit under the hood. Boost and EGTs make for a good monitoring system and are good for establishing a base line.

2) I don't think a Van Aaken or EZ alone will get you to the 300/325(rear wheel) mark, a set of 275 injectors(with the VA or EZ) or a Comp/PowerMax3(wire pierced) may be needed.

3) I would go straight to the BHAF, AFE or Scotty II; you will gain some turbo whine sound in the cab.

4) I went straight piped and don't regret it, but that is a preferance on how loud you want your truck.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote author=RottnRam link=board=7;threadid=22014;start=0#msg205763 date=1067998891]
Newbie to the forum and to CTD. I would like to improve on the engine performance with a little more kick in the pants excitement. The truck is a commuter for work, leisure and recreation. I will probably never use the CTD for towing its maximum load and limitations rather considering longevity and increased performance being the goal. I would like to increase the stock HO numbers to the 300-325 hp range with and increase in low to mid range torque. I have read that the Cummins engine has a great deal of untapped potential for improved efficiency/ performance and can be modified without sacrificing its dependability.

Disclaimer: With this in consideration, I also realize that modifying stock configurations results in voiding of warranty and hence I am my own warranty shop. (Bombers anonymous, Hi my name is …….. and I am a bombaholic).

1. Gauges: establish baseline and monitor
What type? Boost, Pyrometer, Fuel Pressure
What type: mechanical or electrical? Why?
Are all (3) gauges necessary?
How bad is the smell in the cab with FP gauge (mechanical)?

Step I

2. Fuel enhancement: Van AAken vs. Edge EZ or COMP (do not connect the wire)? Which one? (pros and cons).

Step II

3 Free-flowing air filter in the stock air box, AFE mega cannon or scotty air system. (Realize that stock air system is dependable up to 350 hp)

4. Replace stock muffler with high, free flowing (performance) muffler or straight piped? What do you recommend for drop in replacement? (By changing the exhaust will improve air flow, exhaust spool up and reduced exhaust temps?)

I do not envision exceeding the above mentioned performance gains.

I will pray to the Gods that the bug does not bite and that I will remain humble with these modifications and gains.

I would appreciate your suggestions/ experience on best bang for buck which would include brands name of each component mentioned.

Tx,

Kurt

[/quote]

Kurt:

Gauges-- Fuel pressure first. I recommend mechanical because the senders on the electricals don't last (pressure hammers from Inj pump). I have a Hewitt FP from Enterprise Engine. No need for an isolator if you use good lines. No leaks, very slight smell here. The smell is residual from when I disconnect my feed line and spilled #2 into the gauge cup. Use good connections and thread sealer and just run diesel all the way to the gauge.
You need a pre-turbo pyro as well. I have the Autometer Ultralight, and it's great. Were I to do it again, I would probably go with the ISSPRO EV gauges. They are my favorites.
Boost is nice to you can compare the impact of different mods, and also know how hard you are working the engine. Don't waste time with a boost gauge that reads less than 60psi.

Fuel Enhancement: Don't waste your time with a non-wire tap box. You WILL want more. Better to just get a Comp (preferably DDUFM) and leave the wire untapped until you're ready. With the Comp, you get adjustability, and you can turn the box on and off. With the EZ, you have to get under the hood to disconnect or adjust it-- a real pain. I bought the EZ instead of the COMP, and it was a mistake. Learn from my foolishness.
You should also consider some kind of injector. That way you can get more power without having to leave the box on all the time-- which is much easier on the VP44 and the driveline. I would say some DD2s or Mach 2s are EXACTLY what you want.

Air system-- I would personally go with the Scotty 2, but only with the ProGuard 7 AFE filter. The regular AFE and the K&N don't filter as effectively as I would like to see. Avoid a drop-in, especially the K&Ns, which are known to not seal in the stock housing properly. I would either go with a full air system (and pro-guard 7), or stick with the stock paper element and intake. Unless you have High EGT already, you are not going to gain anything with an air system. Stick with the stock setup if you are under 350hp.

Exhaust-- Unless you are over about 350hp, exhaust mods are a waste of money. You MIGHT get a wee bit more spool from the turbo, and marginally lower egt, but that's not enough to justify the $400+ of a replacement exhaust. A LOT of guys have messed with the stock system and ended up with an annoying drone, only to have to spend even MORE $$ to get rid of the drone. If you want to free up the exhaust, look into a slightly larger turbine housing (14cm or 16cm). The stock turbo is the single largest exhaust restriction, so I would wait to do exhaust until you upgrade the turbo as well. Otherwise, be advised that your exhaust "upgrade" is more for cosmetics and sound-- not much to justify the cost if you are under 350 HP or so.

Justin
Old 11-05-2003, 03:26 PM

I can't comment on the majority of your questions because I have yet to add them to my truck. As for the exhaust, I had a local shop remove my muffler and resonator and replace it w/ 4" pipe. That cost $25- I don't have an annoying drone, yes it is definitely louder, cruising on the highway it's just slightly more noticeable than stock in the cab. I gained almost 1 mpg average increase and it seems (buttometer) to respond better when accelerating from a stop and passing. May be my imagination, but....I'm happier. Just my humble opinion.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:31 PM

Hohn,

I'm real new to the board and diesel's as well.

If you were on a $1500 dollor budget, and wanted to get the most HP/Torque out of a 2002 HO with the five/six speed manual, what mods would you purchase.

I've been told the stock HO has 305HP and 500torque.

1: Is this true?

2: What kind of HP/Torque increase can I get on this budget?
Old 11-06-2003, 03:48 PM

Good Luck, A while back there was discussion about meetings for this bombing addiction.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:12 PM

Presently, I should be slightly beyond your goals, but have been about where you say you want to be. Assuming, that is, that you are speaking in terms of rwhp. Most '02 HO's come in around 225 rwhp, so you are looking for a 75-100 hp gain.
My $.02

Gauges first. Fuel Pressure, Pyro, and Boost. Boost would be least important, but is also least expensive. Might as well do all three @ once. Many mounting methods, I used Autometers in 3-hole A-pillar. I prefer not to have pressurized fuel in my cab, and therefore used mechanical FP w/isolator. Gauges come in many flavors, and everyone has their favorite. Do your research.

Fuel Enhancement. As previously stated in this thread, I do not believe that your goals are within reach with a VA or EZ. You will need some mild injectors to go with that. I added 275's. Small increase across a wide range. Slight EGT issues when towing. I then added a Edge comp w/ no piercing. Increased boost helped a great deal with EGT's, and they became quite controllable. This combination, along with aftermarket intake filtration, and mild exhaust improvements is great for towing with a stock turbo. Downside is that even at this level, your clutch is in jeopardy. Are you prepared to upgrade it? If not, then I recommend that you plug in an EZ, rather than just injectors, primarily for the increased boost, and call it done. This will, unfortunately, just give you a taste of what you could have. At any level, some fuel supply upgrades are beneficial to your truck's longevity.

Intake and Exhaust. I used K&N in stock box, then went to ScottyII. Scotty did not noticably help my EGT's at my near-stock power level, but you can really hear that turbo. This was explained to me by Scotty, and I have it back on now. With my current power level, it may very well be helping. Have not run comparisons yet, and have made many changes, but Scotty sure has quite a following. I am currently having no serious EGT problems, so something good is happening. There are a few good flavors available. Choose what suits your needs.
I still don't know what turbo I'm going to settle on, so I cheated on my exhaust. 4" resonator back w/no muffler. Little on the loud side, but I can still hear that turbo.

I think that if you add more than just an EZ box, or something similar, you are opening a whole can of worms. Stick with the EZ, and most all of the OEM systems and components should perform well, or at least within the realm of what they would do without that one upgrade. It is my feeling that, with just one more fueling upgrade, you must deal with issues related to the fuel supply system, air intake and exhaust, clutch (in your case) or auto trans., and perhaps turbo. I don't say this to discourage you, but rather to offer my limited experience on a truck very similar to yours. If you are willing to address all of the issues related to your upgrades, you should experience no adverse affects with respect to longevity. We all have different opinions, this is mine. I'd rather have you prepared than caught unaware. The info you need is here @ DTR. Continue your research, set your plan, and execute.
Happy upgrading.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Banned

Take your $1500 and stick it in the bank. You are only going to start something that will end up costing many times the $1500 budget. For the money you want to invest, it is only enough to wet the appatite of the BOMBING beast. This will only lead to more and more money. Stop while you can, and leave it alone.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:22 PM

[quote author=SEATTLE link=board=7;threadid=22014;start=0#msg206644 date=1068154312]
Hohn,

If you were on a $1500 dollor budget, and wanted to get the most HP/Torque out of a 2002 HO with the five/six speed manual, what mods would you purchase.

[/quote]

In for a penny, in for a pound

1 - No, the '02 HO is factory rated @ 245 hp, and 505 tq. Those are crankshaft numbers. Most folks here are talking rear wheel hp numbers. As stated above, many HO's come in around 225 rwhp.

2 - Why don't you come on down the road a few miles and visit with us. Check my sig line, and you'll find that my truck is similar to that which you seek info about. Look at what I've been done to mine, and take a ride. See if it suits. This will give you a good starting point.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote author=SEATTLE link=board=7;threadid=22014;start=0#msg206644 date=1068154312]
Hohn,

[/quote]

Kurt:

The real crap shoot when Bombing a manual tranny truck is how much the stock clutch will hold. Obviously, the heavier you tow, the less you can bomb and still let the clutch live.

On a 1500 dollar budget, I would go with injectors alone (and the dumbed down boost fooler they require-- no van aaken, no EZ, no comp, no TST-- just a boost fooler. For that money, you can get NICE Mach 2 or Mach 3 injectors and still have money left over. Injectors alone will give you great response with maximum control over how the power comes on. With injectors alone, you have a LOT of control over smoke and EGT. With just injectors, there's no wire tap, so less strain on the VP44. Injectors are the smoothest power delivery, which makes it MUCh easier on your clutch, and on the rest of your driveline.

By going with just injectors and a fooler, you can bomb to a higher level of HP and still keep the clutch alive.

If you tow heavy, get some EDM Mach 2 injectors and a fooler. If you don't tow much, get some EDM mach 3 injectors.

injectors: 800-900
Fooler: ~$120

you will have money left over and not need a bunch of other stuff. And if somehow you need a clutch, you already have some $$ saved towards it.

HOHN
Old 11-06-2003, 11:41 PM

[quote author=BigK link=board=7;threadid=22014;start=0#msg206779 date=1068171746]
Why don't you come on down the road a few miles and visit with us. Check my sig line, and you'll find that my truck is similar to that which you seek info about. Look at what I've been done to mine, and take a ride. See if it suits. This will give you a good starting point.
[/quote]

Wow....thats a pretty good offer....not too many guys will let ya do that.....
Old 11-07-2003, 08:20 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm overloading my brain with all the options that are out there, so your help is vastly appreciated.

Eric,

I sent you an e-mail.

Another question I have is, My buddy has been looking around for locking hubs for his 2002. He hasn't had any luck. Are they available anywhere?