Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Scotty II Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scotty II Questions

Where to buy and is it worth it. I have a BHAF now and sometimes after driving truck I'll pop the hood and feel the filter and its HOT and yes I have a heat shield. I want cool air, what kind of filter goes in the scotty ?? Are they oiled or expensive to replace.Thanks
Old 06-06-2006, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get them through the DTR store. I love mine, it came highly recommended by a lot of guys here on this site. It has an oiled foam filter. Works well, gives you plenty of cold air, and sounds good too.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Banned

it's a foam filter that you oil. I love mine, if you cut the second hole it gets pretty loud. I have no complaints DTR store has them I believe or check w/Mark Craig at DPP
Old 06-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
This is the filter Scotty is using.
The D cell battery is for size comparison only.
Battery not included

Old 06-06-2006, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for such quick replys, is that red foam the filter or a pre filter /?? Does the oil get sucked into the turbo like my POS k@n did.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:54 PM
KVD

Any installed pics? Would like to see where yoru're supposed to drill the hole.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:38 AM

The foam is the pre-filter, the inner is a pleated gauze filter.
I haven't had any oily turbo problems from the never UNI filter.

The hole (If you decide to drill it) is located where the filter housing touches the airbox/firewall area.
I haven't drilled the hole yet and I saw approx 50* drop in EGT.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:41 AM

I bought a Scotty, drilled the hole, went to install it and found out I was given the wrong diameter reinforcement ring and filter for the hose I have on my turbo. I'm using a BHAF now. I gave the wrong filter and ring back and was given the proper diameter filter, but no ring. I can't get the hose to stay on the filter without the ring, and I also can't get the cone to stay on the other end. The fit isn't snug enough for it to stay on, so every time I try to slip the filter into the housing, the cone falls off. So, I'm on hold until I get the right ring and figure out what to do about the cone. I guess I could just leave it off. It also seems like there should be some sort of grommet to retain the housing in the firewall hole. But I haven't been able to get that far. It should be a really simple deal to put this in. But that has not been the case for me. That's about normal. I look forward to getting it figured out, because it looks like a great way to get a cooler air charge to the engine.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:44 AM

Have you contacted Scotty regarding your fitment troubles?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Have you contacted Scotty regarding your fitment troubles?
No kidding!

red70ragtop,

You should contact Scotty directly......he will get you fixed up pronto. Scotty has excellent customer service and he prides himself on that. Persistent problems like this are not typical and I doubt that he would be satisfied until you are.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by caper
Thanks for such quick replys, is that red foam the filter or a pre filter /?? Does the oil get sucked into the turbo like my POS k@n did.
There are no oiling problems with the dual stage UNI filter element. It is superior to the K&N, IMO. I have had my Scotty II for over a year and I am very pleased with the performance of it compared to a BHAF.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by red70ragtop
I bought a Scotty, drilled the hole, went to install it and found out I was given the wrong diameter reinforcement ring and filter for the hose I have on my turbo. I'm using a BHAF now. I gave the wrong filter and ring back and was given the proper diameter filter, but no ring. I can't get the hose to stay on the filter without the ring, and I also can't get the cone to stay on the other end. The fit isn't snug enough for it to stay on, so every time I try to slip the filter into the housing, the cone falls off. So, I'm on hold until I get the right ring and figure out what to do about the cone. I guess I could just leave it off. It also seems like there should be some sort of grommet to retain the housing in the firewall hole. But I haven't been able to get that far. It should be a really simple deal to put this in. But that has not been the case for me. That's about normal. I look forward to getting it figured out, because it looks like a great way to get a cooler air charge to the engine.
I talked to Scotty and he said the UNI's come with some excess oil when new. Wipe off the excess oil, especially around the closed end. Also wipe the inside of the cone off, use a degreaser or something to make sure the rubber on the UNI is dry and the inside of the cone is too. It should stay in place then. It did for me. I agree though, the cone could be a little smaller to fit more snug.

On cutting the hole, I did on mine and it was a little loud. I would shut the hole when I didn't need the extra air. A "TrukLite" round 4.5" tail light grommet works great as a seal around the hole to the Scotty (you can get them from Napa for about 2-3 $) and you can also get a 4" test plumbing plug for about $3 from Lowe's or Home Depot to fit inside that grommet and close the hole to be quiet. When you are towing or drag racing and need the extra air, loosen the wing nut on the test plug, pull it out, and whaaalaaa, you have your extra air again! BTW, I saw 100 to 150 degrees of additional cooling from the Scotty.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:03 AM

Or, don't drill the hole through the sound insulation material, and fold it up for more air, or down (covering the 4 1/2" hole) for "Stealth" mode.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:29 AM

Scotty's web site said he was on vacation for June. I'm not upset about it or anything, I'm actually anxious to get it installed. I'll try cleaning everything off for the cone issue, and try to get the reinforcement ring issue straightened out whenever I can get in touch with Scotty. I'm sure it's gonna be great, that's why I bought it. Sometimes mistakes happen.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:31 AM

My insulation was so ratty it tore when I folded it back to drill the hole So I made a custom, 1/8" steel "stealth" plate Even painted Kentuck Chrome

Chris

Quick Reply: Scotty II Questions