Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Scheid injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scheid injectors?

Hi everyone,
I have an opertunity to buy a set of used custom injectors built by Scheids. They are from a guy I know who is detuning his truck so he can trade it off on a new truck. They are 250HP injectors and he is willing to sell them to me for $500. This sounds like a pretty good deal to me but I am wanting some extra opinions before I buy them. Are they good injectors? Has anyone here ever had any experience with them, either good or bad? Is there anything I should look out for? Any and all opinions welcomed.

Thanks, *****
Old 06-06-2006, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Willy91
Hi everyone,
I have an opertunity to buy a set of used custom injectors built by Scheids. They are from a guy I know who is detuning his truck so he can trade it off on a new truck. They are 250HP injectors and he is willing to sell them to me for $500. This sounds like a pretty good deal to me but I am wanting some extra opinions before I buy them. Are they good injectors? Has anyone here ever had any experience with them, either good or bad? Is there anything I should look out for? Any and all opinions welcomed.

Thanks, *****

seems to me that anything scheid diesel, is usually over the top diesel performance. I mean just look at their truck. I know u have the air for it, but somehow i doubt that they will be streetable, unless ur valet is in workin order. 500 bucks for a pair of scheid injectors? Sounds good to me, have u ridden in the truck? do u know what they are capable of? And if they are EDM"d id say jump on them, NO surging.. Good luck tho

Rick
Old 06-06-2006, 02:08 PM

4/2/06 749HP/1489TQ.

with those #s why would you change anything?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:26 PM

I would talk to Schied and find out EXACTLY how they were made, what they started as, etc.

I wouldn't put anything in my engine that I wasn't sure of the quality of...why roast a 42K mile engine when an injector fails and puts a hole in a piston.

That being said, I'm sure Schied has some awesome stuff, too!! Just be sure you're getting it
Chris
Old 06-06-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by judge88
with those #s why would you change anything?
I'm slowly getting tired of the surging that the 370's are doing, even with the fuel I'm pushing to them they're still not acting right. I want to get a decent set of injectors, something that will behave themselves and not act up. On the top end the 370's are fine, but I'm about fed up with the 370's on the bottom end.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
I would talk to Schied and find out EXACTLY how they were made, what they started as, etc.

I wouldn't put anything in my engine that I wasn't sure of the quality of...why roast a 42K mile engine when an injector fails and puts a hole in a piston.

That being said, I'm sure Schied has some awesome stuff, too!! Just be sure you're getting it
Chris
Ok, will do Chris. I know the guy pretty well and I remember when he got the injectors so I'm certain they are Schied injectors. But I will call them probably today yet and find out what exactly the specs are on them. Is there anything I can do to test the injectors other than just pop testing them? Is it possible to MIC the tips to makes sure there isn't anything wrong with them? Thanks for your advice so far guys!
Old 06-06-2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007

seems to me that anything scheid diesel, is usually over the top diesel performance. I mean just look at their truck. I know u have the air for it, but somehow i doubt that they will be streetable, unless ur valet is in workin order. 500 bucks for a pair of scheid injectors? Sounds good to me, have u ridden in the truck? do u know what they are capable of? And if they are EDM"d id say jump on them, NO surging.. Good luck tho

Rick
Rick my valet is in perfect working order right now. I have ridden in the truck before, but all it had were these injectors, a 100 plate and a Hx35/HT3b twins set, so I don't know what they would do with the fuel I can push to them.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:46 PM

Nothing I know of to do...you'd have to talk to someone who really knows injectors. I know there is a lot of "cheap" ways to make them bigger, but there are a lot of proven methods too.

My bet is that they are lasered out stock nozzles. As far as durability on something like that, no clue. I also don't know where to send you to get an honest, straight answer!

Chris
Old 06-06-2006, 03:07 PM

I just got off of the phone with Brad Ingrham at Scheids. He said that they are a fairley common injector, and that Scheids has made quite a few sets of them. He said that they are EDM'd and have very good street manners for their size. He suggested having them all pop tested and thouroghly gone over before I by them, but that there shouldn't be a problem with them. And he said they have yet to have somebody come in with a broken tip on this size of injector. He said that they most likley originated as a set of 180HP injectors. Any thoughts on this?

Old 06-06-2006, 03:28 PM

I have heard bad things about EDMing a STOCK nozzle with holes already in it. BUT, if Brad says they haven't had a failure, I'd say they have a good track record.

I would think they would look at them for you for a small price...that way they could tell you for sure??

Good Luck...I'd say those are some SMOKEY sticks Definatlely something not for me
Chris
Old 06-06-2006, 03:33 PM

I wouldn't go by hp ratings on a 12v especially since you have an aftermarket pump. What you need to know is hole size and how many. since they wes made out of a stock nozel they are 5 hole. 370's are 5X12's(80-100hp) the ddp'4 are 5X14(140 hp) extrude hones a set of 250's would probably have to be 5X22's or so on a nozzel with only 5 holes and i would have my doubts as to wether they are very streetable. also injectors that big can easily crack a head. a set of ddp'4 would serve you well or even a set of 5X12 edm's or dragon flow 5X18's (what jim fulmer runs) but if the are honestly that big I would stay away.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:45 PM

The origanl box says they are 5x16's, but the guy that owned them says they are 250 HP injectors. So does something not quite add up here?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Willy91
The origanl box says they are 5x16's, but the guy that owned them says they are 250 HP injectors. So does something not quite add up here?

Hmm i dont know if this is a pattern or mathematically related.

But if a 5 x 12 is a 100 horse gain,
a 5 x 14 is a 140 horse gain,
a 5 x 16 should be 180 horse gain following the same pattern.
a 5 x 18 should be a 220 horse gain and finally
a 5 x 20 should be about a 260 horse gain..

I dont know if any of this is mathematical, but bein this is the way my brain thinks, i just threw in my two pennys, i dont wanna see u waste ur money... Eitherways u go these are gonna be smokey...

Rick
Old 06-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Banned

I would say just take them to Scheids and see if the will test them and look them over. Although they will probably charge you $900 just to walk out to the truck to get them. Either way it does sound like a good deal and I would check them out realy well before you throw them in your super nice engine so they dont go BOOM!

Oh ya and after this week Schieds can finally mow under my truck because they said they will be done! Took 3 months but i guess it will be nice to have it back and finally put some miles on the Red Rocker!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:04 PM

I don't know guys, I think I might pass on this, seeing that everything he is telling me isn't quite adding up. I know for sure that I want to get rid of these 370's and I have a little bit of money saved up to buy something. Now I just need to figure out what I can get for $800 or under, that is EDM'd from a brand new injecter. Any suggestions? My ultimate goal is to break 800HP/1500ft.Lbs. with #2 only so I need something that will be about 90HP over what the 370's are right now. Thanks for any help...*****

EDIT: or should I wate a little while to save up for a set of new customs from Scheids or Haisley's? And if so what size would give me what I need if they have six or seven holes?

Quick Reply: Scheid injectors?