Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

SBC DD vs. Con FE

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SBC DD vs. Con FE

I am getting ready to buy a SBC. I thought I had my mind set on the 13-1.25 FE, but then I heard about the Double Disk. So I am turning to the endless knowledge of this site for advice on both clutches. Benefits and Drawbacks of both.

I have a 00 5 speed with a edge comp right now, with plans of bigger injectors and turbo or turbos to come later. I don't tow on a regular basis but when I do it is on the heavy side, 10K and up. Also, some occasional racing and a sled pull every now and then. Any feed back would be appreciated!

Thanks,

ADAM
Old 06-19-2004, 10:03 AM

I really like my DD. Very streetable, and pedal effort is amazing. Give Peter a call and let him know what you are up to. Great customer service.

Only drawback I have is that now I have to spend the money to make the horsepower match what the clutch will hold!

Matt
Old 06-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Banned

Isn't that a bonus instead of a drawback?
Old 06-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Banned

The DD would be the way to go...............you wont be sorry. I have the IRON GIANT from SBC and love it!!!!!

http://www.southbendclutch.com/dd.html
Below is the street DD.

J.R.

Old 06-19-2004, 12:53 PM

Is there any difference in the installation of the DD compared to the Con FE? I have never done a clutch install but one of my buddies has done a SB install on a powerjoke and is going to help me. Is this job possible with normal shop tools in a normal garage?

ADAM
Old 06-21-2004, 02:04 AM

Its just as easy. only difference is you have to put in the new flywheel and you have to make sure you got the clutch together right but it all slides together easy. there is a tag on everything to show you which way it goes. only thing that was a little harder was to make sure you have the clutch alignment tool dead nutz. It is a little harder to get the tranny back in also. I have the street/puller vershion and its doing great. I'm happy with the clutch and it gets better after a few miles and after you get her warm a few times.
DM01
Old 06-21-2004, 08:34 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
South Bend's dual disc is a sweet clutch for sure. It holds a pile of power, without being rough. Just bear in mind that a dual disc, any dual disc, is going to be harder on your synchros than a single disc clutch due to higher rotating mass. If you don't plan on going above 500 HP, stay with the FE single disc.

Rod
Old 06-21-2004, 12:14 PM

Go with the DD you wont be sorry.
I did.

--Justin
Old 06-21-2004, 12:46 PM

Yeah thats the only draw back to the DD that I have you can't spped shift. I was told it was because I got the Pulling p-plate and did not get the hold down straps for the floater plate.
It shifts goot but just takes a extra moment to get into gear.
DM01
Old 06-21-2004, 03:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think SBC was not doing the floater plate straps anymore because of the chatter they caused??

Anyway, I do like my DD clutch, but they're not for everyone. Under 500hp, I'd say stay single.

The only drawback is the price, and don't forget if you have a 5spd or very early 6spd, you'll also have to buy the bigger 1-3/8 inputshaft to go with it ($850 more).
Old 07-01-2004, 10:44 AM

I Love my DD street clutch from South Bend. It holds the power and is very streetable. It does shift slightly slower than a single disc but I have speed shifted it some. The rear tires don't like it with the power I have right now Peter builds a great product that works great. Call him he won't steer you wrong....
Old 07-01-2004, 12:02 PM

i have a con fe 13.25 ho conversion clutch in my rig, i wish i had got a dual disk to start with. it will hold the power on a dyno but forget speed shifts. it slips every time i do a speed shift to 4th. i have talked to woody a few times and they have made some offers to fix it but i can't stand the down time. the fe is a grabby sob backing up a trailer, thank god i have 4wd and can put it in low range then all is good. i drove mark kendricks old truck with the dual disk and it was sweet, didn't slip a bit on the shifts. barking the tires hitting 5th was cool as hell. and it had a much smoother engagement than my fe. just my 2 cents worth. mike
Old 07-01-2004, 11:01 PM

why not go with the mitchell pulling clutch. im getting a five speed and i am thinking about putting a mitchell in it. ive seen on this forum that it is pretty streetable. anyone have any comments on this clutch and how streetable it is
Old 07-02-2004, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Push Rod
South Bend's dual disc is a sweet clutch for sure. It holds a pile of power, without being rough. Just bear in mind that a dual disc, any dual disc, is going to be harder on your synchros than a single disc clutch due to higher rotating mass. If you don't plan on going above 500 HP, stay with the FE single disc.

Rod

SB DD doesn't sound like the proper recipe for a truck with the NV5600 6spd (weakish syncros) that's used mostly for towing and around town. Thanks Rod, that's good information.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:23 PM

I'm about to start saving my pennies and dimes....I'm not even thinking of pulling the tranny out of this newly aquired truck unless there is a Dual Disk clutch going in, and my eye is pretty much set on a South Bend with increased plate load so I can do a little sled pull'n.

Quick Reply: SBC DD vs. Con FE