Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

running two EGT senders to 1 gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 10:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
I'm not so sure that you can just install a switch in between a thermocouple probe and a gauge. Thermocouples rely on a voltage differential created by to dis-similar metal conductors. I'm not sure how a set of tin plated copper (I'm assuming) contacts and solder joints or spade lugs in the middle of the conductors will affect them. Apparently it works, but I'm thinking it won't be near as accurate. Has anyone taken side by side readings with two gauges with one on a switch and compared readings? Just curious.

$.02
You are exactly right. Someone on TDR experimented with this a few years back and found that switches with screw terminals and plated screws turn into mini-thermocouples when you add the wire and skew the readings. He found that crimp connectors did much the same.
The only thing that gave readings that were the same as pre-switch were to use a switch with solder on lugs.

Wire length seems to make very little difference in readings. When I talked to Autometer about running the wire 30' on a pusher motor home they said no problem, the gauge would probably be off by 10° max. It worked just fine
Old 09-21-2005, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you look on a snowmobile supply site you can get pyro gages with two leads and split faces, i was thinking of going that rout on mine, but then just went with one. i would think this set-up would be easier and cheaper and you can watch both without the switch.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this a while back. I swiched boost gauges and brands to a higher PSI gauge and swapped my EGT gauge to match. I decided not to buy two thermocouples this time around. The readings between the switched gauge and new gauge are within 50 degrees of eachother. This may be more of a variance in brands than having anything to do with the switch. FWIW - My switch and leads were soldered.