Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Red Head Steering box A+

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Head Steering box A+

Installed this weekend and steering is tighter thsn before. True test willl be driving to work in rush hour traffic in the morning. So far I am impressed, way smoother then the AGR box I had.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:35 PM

Bill,

I'm interested in hearing more about the new steering box. I received my correct leaf springs from Carli over the weekend. I'll be installing them as soon as I get a chance. Sounds like we need to setup another comparison test drive so I can check out your steering and you can check out my Carli suspension. I just made a 1000 mile trip this weekend to Zapata (South of Laredo) and my left shoulder is sore from fighting my steering.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:24 PM

Give me a call this weekend if you get it done and we will do that. I am anxious to see how the truck sits. Harvy talked me into the standard ratio box do to the fact that the pumb wont allow you to turn the quick ratio when you are parked. I do remember that from the first varible ratio AGR box. The second was no better. After a week back with the factory box with 135k on it it was nice to be able to turn while sitting still or just crawling but had way to much play. I do have a little bit of bump steer but i dont want to align it until I get the new Toyo M55's on this summer if these Michelins hold up long enough.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:19 PM

Dangit, I wish I saw this earlier. I just ordered a variable ratio 13-16:1 AGR box from Jegs just minutes ago.

What issues were you guys seeing with the AGR units?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:55 PM

First one had lots of play, talked with AGR and did a few adjustsments per them and did not correct the problem. Removed, sent back, returned and was better but not to where I thought it should be. Second one did not have the varible ratio but still had play. Also went to the super power steering pump or whatever hey call it there. Rechecked the entire front end that was recently replaced and made a few more adjustments per AGR. Did not help it and they said send it back but i did not have time to have the truck down for another 2 weeks and was also sick of removing and reinstalling and bleeding the system. I hope your luck runs better then mine did and I will say after 2 days driving on the new box to work and back in rush hour traffic, I am happy with RedHead Steering so far.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:08 PM

The Red Head Steering gears are awesome. I put one on my buddies truck and was amazed on how well it drove. Gonna put one on mine here soon.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Banned

bump -update?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:45 PM

I am interested in the red head steering but can't seem to get them to respond to 2 emails orver the past 5 days. Are they still in business? If they cannot answer my questions i will pursue the Borgeson- maybe they have better customer service.

My real question to you is how is it holding up vs the stock box and how hard is it to replace? I have a DSS steering bolt on and wonder if it will still work with this?

Also wondered if i have to get another front end alignment after replacing.

Thanks for your time!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Try calling them. Some companies just don't do email well.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:34 PM

anyone put one of these in there truck?http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....er=BORG-800112
i was looking to replace mine soon and was gonna get one of these.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:40 AM

i looked hard at this one....but didn't want to replace the shaft to accomodate the Borgeson box. I went with a rebuilt box by Redhead Steering in Washington. Their rebuild has bigger bearings and tighter tolerances as i understand it. I am in the process of putting it on now and will post results soon. I have heard good things on this gear box for the $286.00 price.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:31 AM

I put on the Redhead steering box with the quick ratio about 4 weeks ago. Best thing I ever did! Quicker, more responsive steering, no wander. I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:15 PM

ok so where do you get these redhead steering boxes maybe i will get one of those instead
Old 05-20-2011, 10:02 PM

How much is the Redhead running you guys... and how long is the turn around?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:45 PM

Seeing references to AGR GARBAGE makes me want to get up on the soap box again.

GARBAGE steering boxes. GARBAGE. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/ge...r+steering+box

I finally tore my POS AGR down and machined bronze bushings for it and it works now, but what a HORRIBLE nightmare it was dealing with all the debris that kept going through the hydraulics due to their hoopty cheap out bearings.

Oh and just a heads up to the very few that might make their own bearings- very hard to not deform bronze. After pressing in the lower sector shaft bearing, I had to line bore it. Very precise steering now, though.

Quick Reply: Red Head Steering box A+