Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Rear Trac Bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Trac Bar

I just saw a piece in 8 Lug Magazine (Dec 08, p. 45) that Supersteer makes a rear trac bar for the 04-08 Dodges. I went to their website (supersteersuperstop.com) but couldn't find anything about it. I tried to email them a question, but it wouldn't go through from their web site.

I think a rear trac bar would be a great idea for my 2001 2500. It has the stock rear suspension with the blocks but has 17x9" wheels with 315/75 BFG All-Terrrais. I tend to haul and tow heavy loads and corner hard when not loaded down (I race a heavily modified 1972 Datsun 240Z in my spare time). So, I think a rear trac bar could really improve the handling of the truck. Does anyone have any experience or information about using a rear track bar on these trucks?

Pete Sprenger
2" Leveling kit
Windecker Trac Bar retrofit kit (2003+)
Adjustable front trac bar
ATS Arc Flow
ATS Pulse Flow 3 Piece Exhaust manifold
4" Bully Dog Exhaust
AFE air filter & intake
HyperTech tuner
2003 lift pump retrofit kit (done by dealership under waruntee)
Turbo Timer
Steering Box Brace
Mag-Hytec Tranny pan & rear dif cover
HUGE tranny cooler
Old 12-23-2008, 03:13 PM

The purpose of a trac bar is to keep the axle aligned side to side in a solid axle vehicle. With the way that our rear ends are setup, the leaf springs keep the axle aligned and do a good job of it. Putting another trac bar on would be a very bad idea because trac bars inherently move the axle back and forth a bit as it goes up and down and leaf springs don't allow that. You would cause lots of binding and not gain anything.

Are you thinking of a sway bar? If so, that could be a good idea depending on your situation. A sway bar reduces body roll by limiting the angle that an axle can take on. I know that they came on some of the later 2nd gens(for example my roomate has one on his '01). Giving that you tow and haul heavy, it sounds like you might be a good candidate for one.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 PM

Yep, many of the pulling trucks run a lateral bar on the rear axle to keep it aligned. Surprising how much lateral motion there is on leaf spring.