Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Quadzilla Commander: Fuel Pressure Sensr

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Quadzilla Commander: Fuel Pressure Sensr

Hi. Installed my Quad commander today. Works fine.
2001.5, 2500, automatic, stock everything (except for airfilter)

Question about the FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR installation. I bought the kit on ebay; its new and contains authentic "QUADZILLA" lables and instructions. The instructions say to mount it on the fuel pump...not a problem. However, the instructions say to remove the factory banjo bolt that is "nearest to the fan". Problem is that the kit included a the banjo "replacement" and it won't fit the pump-banjo that is nearest the fan--kit piece/bolt is too small. (wonder if they sent me the wrong size banjo) It DOES however fit on the banjo bolt which is on the right-side (the one with the TEST PORT valve installed). So, we put it on that one. ((in otherwords, of the two available factory banjo bolts, the one nearest the fan is too large for the bolt that came with my kit, so I put it on the bolt which is on the right--perfect fit)) When I turn on the Quad. commander, it reads 0 (zero).... All the other sensors work fine (trans/coolant/egt...) I'm wondering if the instructions are correct, yet they might have sent me the wrong size (ie, should be mounted on the banjo nearest the fan) ?? Ideas?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright you want to hook the quad banjo bolt into the one with the fuel line coming from filter going into the VP44. So that is the secound one back from the fan. The first one is circluar the secound one back from fan has the fuel line and test port thats your one.

I am doing this all from memory so take it with a grain of salt.
ROB
Old 04-12-2008, 11:04 PM

Oh by the way these sensor have a habit of dieing. THey will start bouncing all over the place. Quadzilla service people tell me they are working on a new system.

In their defense they have gone from a 0-100psi sensor, to a 0-40psi sensor and then to a heavy duty 0-40psi sensor. So they are working on them except they dont hold up to atleast my cummins raddle.

Rob
Old 04-13-2008, 12:23 AM

Yes danalex, you have it installed in the right place, it can only go in the spot that you have it in now. Maybe it's reading correctly. Maybe the lift pump is toast, IDK. You might want to give the folks at Quadzilla a call to see what there suggestions are.
So they are working on them except they dont hold up to atleast my cummins raddle.
The one that came with my Adrenaline is rock solid. I also have a needle valve coming off of the pump though to help deaden the pulses from the VP44.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:40 AM

Check the wire too. Granted i have changed out probably 5 sensors but on one of the times the wire broke.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by hink
Yes danalex, you have it installed in the right place, it can only go in the spot that you have it in now. Maybe it's reading correctly. Maybe the lift pump is toast, IDK. You might want to give the folks at Quadzilla a call to see what there suggestions are. The one that came with my Adrenaline is rock solid. I also have a needle valve coming off of the pump though to help deaden the pulses from the VP44.
dieselmanor.com sell a fitting that is a snubber that goes on the banjo fitting and your sensor and stuff mount to it

http://www.dieselmanor.com/dm_products/fittings.asp

its the 3rd one down. i'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail
Old 04-13-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by hink
Yes danalex, you have it installed in the right place, it can only go in the spot that you have it in now. Maybe it's reading correctly. Maybe the lift pump is toast, IDK.

I also have a needle valve coming off of the pump though to help deaden the pulses from the VP44.

yes, i agree...you have it installed in the correct spot...i called them with the same question when i installed mine...they told me the instructions printed wrong and to install it on the second banjo with the fuel line comming from the filter....

secondly....mine read 0 psi when i first installed it and only went up to like 4 psi occasionally....this was a sign to me to have it checked against a mechanical guage...i took a mechanical guage and hooked it to the test port on the fuel filter...the mechanical showed a reading of 4 psi at idle and 0 at throttle.....point is....LIFT PUMP DEAD...replaced it IMMEDIATLY.....(plug: love my walbro)

lastly...i had a BAD ISSURE of fluxuating pressure after a few months...the guage would JUMP very badly and had no rhyme or reason to...again checked the guage against a mechanical...and the walbro was kicking out a constant 20psi where the sending unit was jumping all over the place...that calmed my nerves a lot....so i did some testing.....

Quadzill to their credit sent me a new sending unit free of charge and before i put it on i did some experiments of my own...moving the sending unit. adding a needle valve, trying the IP versus the fuel filter....adding telfon tape/removing teflon tape...checking wires...etc..

what i found is that the old sensor was still ROCK SOLID...and showed the same pressure as the new one....the thing of it is...the IP pluse causes the flux. so the best solution was to add a needle valve to smooth it out....so now i have two sending units...i am still running the old one....with a needle valve. i show a nice 20psi at idle, 17/18 at cruse, and 14/15 WIDE OPEN.

try these first....

thanks HINK for posting up about the needle valve....you got there first

NCA
Old 04-13-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i added a 18" grease gun hose and a snubber to mine, forgot the hose would not conduct and had to add a ground but i think this will stop the failures
Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ALL,
Thanks very much for the advice/suggestions. As it turned out, I did a few things.
(1) Sleep on it.
(2) This morning I fiddled with the buttons on the Cmdr and selected MY vehicle (duh). When i started the truck, it was only about 3-4 seconds and I showed 3,4,5-8 psi. That was a relief.
(3) Drove from FT WORTH to SAN ANTONIO (home; was visiting inlaws). The Fuel PSI held generally between 8-10 psi (mostly 10).
Yes, it fluctuated/bounced around a bit, but mostly was alright. I'm pretty comfortable with it.

Thanks ALL for confirming that I have it connected to the right banjo!
Now, I do have an additional concern--see post regarding TRANSMISSION READING...

-d