Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Proven 500+hp combos for H.O.'s ??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Ian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO its worth the extra airflow which may optimize your current mods (especially if you aren't getting enough CFM).
Old 09-29-2005, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BHAF is great up to ~400 hp. I was told that our trucks need more air than the BHAF can flow above 38-40 lbs boost. I gained 9hp running the same parts with the BHAF and intake tube removed - straight in to the turbo. Now, of course, I wouldn't run that on the street, but I rarely run the Comp over level 3 on the street (unless provoked ).
I'll stick with the BHAF for ease of install and filtering capability until something better comes along... (any new leads on the better BHAF? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Hohn?)
Old 10-01-2005, 01:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Drag comp, TST powermax comp, and Blue chip redline boxers are not recomended and shouldn't be used on HO trucks (stock VP44). The VP's dont like them at all. This is besided the fact that NO box will add more then 100 rwhp to a stock HO VP44.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 95ram
The Drag comp, TST powermax comp, and Blue chip redline boxers are not recomended and shouldn't be used on HO trucks (stock VP44). The VP's dont like them at all. This is besided the fact that NO box will add more then 100 rwhp to a stock HO VP44.
The 100hp part is close in my truck, but the rest is not exactly scientific data! I have no trouble with the Drag Comp, and the same box as a Comp before that.
Personally, I think that fuel flow is critical to the longevity of my VP, and a good amount of common sense can lengthen the lifespan as well. I don't tow heavy with the Comp on. I drive it daily in level 3 or less unless I *NEED* the extra power for (fill in the blank - Powerstroke, Dmax, ricer....)
Old 10-01-2005, 03:00 PM

The Drag comp, TST powermax comp, and Blue chip redline boxers are not recomended and shouldn't be used on HO trucks (stock VP44).
Care to explain this statement. What facts are you basing this on?
Old 10-01-2005, 05:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
True, the HO pumps do not have the capacity to get more out of these boxes. Far better, imo, to run a larger injector and a milder box setting on the HO.

Example: instead of a Mach 2 and a Comp on 5x5, run a Mach 4, and run the box at 3x5.

You can bet that a hairy box will give you ALL the fuel that the HO has to offer.

I'd personally go with a hotter box that's adjustable. That way, you can turn it down for your HO pump. Then, WHEN your HO pump craps out and you replace it with a HRVP44, you will have a box that gives up to 180hp.

I've seen a dyno sheet where a TST competition box added 180hp to a modded vp44 pump. Same box on a stock HO pump gives 100hp or so.

Oh, and the PowerCore BHAF is dead in the water. Donaldson decided they didn't want to pursue the market.

I guess that makes my filter one of a kind
Old 10-01-2005, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by CTD_Neil
Care to explain this statement. What facts are you basing this on?
The fact that the HO pumps have smaller plungers and less fuel delivery capacity. They use 7mm vs 7.5mm plungers. That's 15% less plunger area just right there. That means 15% less fueling for a given plunger travel and 15% less power.

It makes sense. The 15% differential on a 120hp box puts your right around 100HP on an HO.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:37 PM

Thanks, HOHN. I understand that the HO pumps will not put out as much as an SO with the comp.His statement was
The Drag comp, TST powermax comp, and Blue chip redline boxers are not recomended and shouldn't be used on HO trucks (stock VP44). The VP's dont like them at all. .
why is that??????? I have had my Drag Comp on for a few months and have nothing but good results.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Banned

My roommate just installed a drag comp on his HO with mach 1.5's. His truck is a freaking rocket and dynoed 382/899 before the new turbo so we'll see what happens in a couple of weeks when he redyno's it.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The comp boxes dont respond very well with the HO pumps. Most vendors will tell you not to run a comp box on an HO pump because of this. Notice I say most. There are those that are willing to have your pickup run like crap and make that extra 50 bucks.
Hohn is right on with why they shouldn't be used.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:55 AM

I believe I've got over 500 rwhp( haven't dyno proved yet), but I can't wait to get a hrvp44 in next few months. I am planning on getting before and after dyno info to see the difference. As for boxes I have found the comp the best for the HO, I have run Power Pucks, Stacked boxes and the comp is the smoothest power maker I have tried - maybe it is just luck it works for me.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:23 PM

Several happy HO's with Comp boxes so far.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:38 AM

Well I dyno'd the truck again and got 407/900! I doubt switching to the Mach-4's will get me to 500hp. So I guess I'll have to go with a HotRod VP-44 pump to make it there. Would that do it? What are the HRvp44's worth hp wise over the stock HO pumps????
Old 10-31-2005, 12:31 PM

The comp boxes dont respond very well with the HO pumps. Most vendors will tell you not to run a comp box on an HO pump because of this. Notice I say most. There are those that are willing to have your pickup run like crap and make that extra 50 bucks.
Hohn is right on with why they shouldn't be used.
I NEVER SAID THEY SHOULDN'T BE USED!!!

I was just explaining why some feel they aren't worth the cost and effort.

Putting on a big box won't make your truck run like crap just because it's an HO.

I know several folks running wire tap boxes on HOs with good results. They just give a little less power on the HOs, for the reasons I mentioned.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by CTD_Neil
Well I dyno'd the truck again and got 407/900! I doubt switching to the Mach-4's will get me to 500hp. So I guess I'll have to go with a HotRod VP-44 pump to make it there. Would that do it? What are the HRvp44's worth hp wise over the stock HO pumps????
I have the HRVP and it does make a diff in the H.O.s a big one. But before you find my numbers poseted on here some where, let me tell you "I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH AIR". Meaning the horse power increase became more smoke and high heat and a over spooled HX35. Over all I gained 37 ponies with the swap, with my happy box on it was only a 20 horse gain. Just keep in mind I have way to much fuel for the 35 to handle, 50psi and the little beast was hummmmmmmmmming. Once I get some more air in there all should be great. The torque reflects the extra fueling gaining 99 more foot pounds. All in all it is a great pump and each truck is different. Last year I was at 485hp, and since added bigger injectors and HRVP, meaning I know I am over fueled. Later Jim.
BTW I have had a box on my truck for 3 years never a VP swap, it still had the yellow tag on it, I took out a good running VP to get HRVP in.

Quick Reply: Proven 500+hp combos for H.O.'s ??????