Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pros, Cons/concerns after Walbro 392 install

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pros, Cons/concerns after Walbro 392 install

Well I'm glad I finally installed it, my fuel pressure its much higher than it was, before I was at 10 psi idling around and about 5 psi wot, now I have it set about 17.5psi or so idling and it doesn't drop much at all at wot.

My concern is sometimes it takes longer for the truck to start, used to take only about 2 starter turn overs now it seems to take about 4-5 at times, not all the time. Also when I start up the truck I don't get the "puff" out the tailpipe I used to get, I'm not complaining about that, just wondering why its gone.

The pro's to the install, somehow my egt's went down, yes down, I thought more fuel = higher egts, guess I was wrong? It also feels like my truck has a little more power, I haven't timed it since It had a normal edge comp and just the transmission so I couldn't tell you what it's running now and before.

One thing to note though, I do have a very small leak in the last connector where the 1/2" hose connects to the fuel pump lines before it goes up to the factory filter, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I have the walbro 392 big line kit, just to clear anything up. Before I had an aftermarket Carter pump bolted on the frame rail as well.

And one last thing, I noticed when I got to about 1/8th tank of fuel and got on it, the psi went from 17 to 5 and back up over and over. that never happened before like that, and sometimes it jumps from 15-20 psi as I'm accelerating, forgot to add that on my initial post.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't experienced any of the issues you are talking about when I installed my Walbro after removing the Carter on the frame over 16 months ago. Startups seem normal. Mine is set at about 16lbs.

Pressures are rock steady no matter what the level of fuel is. It may be possible you have gunk in the pickup area of the fuel module that is getting sucked up when low on fuel???
Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Seems like a few guys have had 1 or 2 fittings leak. I had one, and I remember reading about another that had a leak. Don't fiddle with it, just go to NAPA and buy another one. A few bucks is all they are. I messed with mine about 4 times before I gave up and bought another!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM

Is your pump wired to the original pickoff from the engine mount LP? If not, that may be why your truck is taking longer to start. You're also bypassing a lot of fuel during normal operation and with the return fuel going to the tank inlet there may be foaming of the fuel when your tank gets low. My return fuel line is plumbed into the original fuel return line and I don't seem to have problems when the fuel tank gets low....
Old 03-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
If you have a leak, you're probably losing prime.
That will cause the engine to have to turn over longer to get the fuel supply into the air pockets.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:20 PM

Went to NAPA today got the fitting, put it on and didn't seem to leak when I let it idle for a few minutes, I Noticed the one on the stock fuel filter had a small leak, but it seemed loose, so I tightened it up.

As for how I wired it up, I used the harness it came with, the power and ground and on the battery, not the stock lift pump wires, those have been cut and are no longer there. The return goes all the way to the fuel inlet over the tank. just as the instructions say to do, but with more than 1/8 fuel in the tank the pressure does not drop barely at all, if I nail it really quick it goes down maybe 1 psi then goes back up. what is a good psi to keep it at? I've just kept 17 because thats how I adjusted it the first time and seemed good enough so I kept it.

I've also thought about this, anyone recommend fuel additives of any kind? I've heard good and bad things about them. Just figured I'd hit on that topic again. But as for my leak glad I fixed it, less headache and I noticed the pressure after I turn the key to ON but not start it stayed around 10 psi before I start the truck, dropped slowly, but not nearly as fast as It did before.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:38 PM

I agree with Shovelhead, those leaks were probably causing you to loose prime, which inturn was causing the longer cranking period to get it started.
The fluctuating fuel pressure at 1/8 of a tank was probably the pick up tube sucking air when the fuel sloshed around. Maybe the new lift pump is emptying the fuel tank module quicker than your old pump did.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:18 PM

17 psi is a good pressure to keep it at. i'm running 24 psi to my cp3. are you using the stock pickup tube or did you put in a replacement one some guys have a issue with the replacement ones not being close enough to the bottom of the tank and sucking air. also if its foaming due to the return from either the fuel return from the vp or if you have the fuel return from the pressure limiting valve that could cause the pick up tube to suck air.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:52 PM

Okay after replacing both fittings on the 1/2" line, they were both leaking, I have no leaks, but when I turn the key to on the pressure goes to 17psi then drops very quickly back down. What am I missing? when its running it doesn't do that, I know I'm missing something on why its doing that, is there another way to wire the "on" wire? right now its going to the stock harness with the harness supplied, I'm thinking after I turn the key to on the pump is maybe turning off until I crank the truck, unless its supposed to do that
Old 03-08-2008, 07:40 PM

If you are running on the stock harness, this is completely normal for it to prime the system up above 12+ lbs and then drop down. This is by design. Supposedly, the VP44 doesn't like pressure until it's running, but I don't know.

Mine does that, everyone's does that and has for years. No worries!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:19 PM

Okay, so cranking over more times than before is okay right? its a little annoying to me since before it was 2 cranks on, now its 4-5, but if thats normal I'll "try" to ignore it!

One thing as well, when I'm accelerating a little harder than normal sometimes the pressure fluctuates between 20 and 15 psi, I guess I'm not too worried about that, just wondering "why" it does that and its not constant.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:19 AM

The VP44 engine when you turn on the key, the pump will turn on for a sec. and if the ECM doesnt see any RPM, the pump will shut off, you dont want a running pump draining your battery down if you are just sitting there listening to the radio. if you bump the starter , the pump will run for 25 sec. and yes the fuel pump PWM signal is lessen when cranking to start. the VP44 has its own pump internally and doesnt want anymore help,
Old 03-10-2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by oaborbag
Okay, so cranking over more times than before is okay right? its a little annoying to me since before it was 2 cranks on, now its 4-5, but if thats normal I'll "try" to ignore it!
Cranking 4-5 times is probably not bad, but not totally normal. I think 2-3 times is more normal. Not sure what to suggest on that. I don't know if I'd be too concerned, but more curious.