Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

proper shifting for built auto . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
proper shifting for built auto . . .

my auto was built earlier this year and has been pretty good with a couple bugs to work out though. so now it is at the shop where it was built to get things right.

1st issue -
the converter is staying locked for 3rd-4th shift. is this right? or should it unlock for the shift and lock again once shifted? the reason i am concerned with this is because my rpms are dropping too much for the 4th shift causing my turbo to bark/surge unless i am babying it. what is the proper shifting pattern/order for the built 47re?

2nd issue -
on a cool or cold startup the truck will stumble/stall when shifting out of park into any gear. i am thinking either the converter is locked on startup, or the converter is a bit too tight. any thoughts . . .

tia,
jason
Old 09-14-2010, 09:34 PM
The Guru

I'm pretty sure that mine goes 3rd, unlocked to locked. 4th unlocked to locked. My turbo doesn't stall like your does. Been a few days since I drove my truck in 4th

As for the stalling thingy when cold, been there on my last transmission. My current transmission, it doesn't stall as hard or load the truck as much at idle. Its your stator/turbine inside the converter.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I'm pretty sure that mine goes 3rd, unlocked to locked. 4th unlocked to locked.
is this the way a dodge tranny should shift to 4th, or did DTT change it up to do that?
Old 09-15-2010, 01:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
is this the way a dodge tranny should shift to 4th, or did DTT change it up to do that?

seeems like my DTT trans does the same acts like it has more ther 4 shifts ED BUT my boys sorta stocker does not do that.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:40 AM

My stock trans did and my new Goerend trans will under normal acceleration go 3rd unlock, then lockup and stay locked for shift into 4th. the only exception is under very light acceleration and under 65 kms the trans will shift from 3rd lockup to 4th lockup then immediately unlock until 70kph when it will lockup again. The computer controls lockup based on several factors.

I have Goerend low stall TC and have no issues with engine stumble/stall when put in gear but it does make the engine work harder than the stock TC especially on a cool morning.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bcbigfoot
My stock trans did and my new Goerend trans will under normal acceleration go 3rd unlock, then lockup and stay locked for shift into 4th. the only exception is under very light acceleration and under 65 kms the trans will shift from 3rd lockup to 4th lockup then immediately unlock until 70kph when it will lockup again. The computer controls lockup based on several factors.

I have Goerend low stall TC and have no issues with engine stumble/stall when put in gear but it does make the engine work harder than the stock TC especially on a cool morning.
I believe that's correct for '01 and '02's. I didn't think '00 did but maybe so. Earlier and later ones unlock on the 3-4 shift. Too many rough shift complaints from owners.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 AM

thanx for the replies so far. haven't really found a definitive answer yet though. i had no idea it would different from year to year . . .
Old 09-15-2010, 03:06 PM

My '00 tends to stay locked for the 3-4 shift unless I am very light on the pedal. It did that before my shift kit as well as after.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:57 PM
The Guru

thanx for the replies so far. haven't really found a definitive answer yet though. i had no idea it would different from year to year . . .
I wouldn't be suprised that the difference is that there are differences between years. I just took my truck out for a pretty decent rip, I didn't get any turbo barking, got over 50psi. Could be your valve body? I don't know if was done in house or its someone elses valve body?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock, my tranny would unlock, shift into O/D and relock. A lot of wasted energy and added slippage. But with my cureent Dunright V/B and triple converter, it stays locked through the whole process. I don't mind. Faster accelleration and more positive towing abilities.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:02 PM

after talking with a bunch of guys/shops - i have found no definitive answer. it seems to be correct for some trucks, and incorrect for others - correct for some builders, incorrect for others. there seems to be a lot of variables. i'm guessing it's normal.

also, i have been told if i'm moderately into the throttle it will bark but if i'm light (which i have been doing), or if i'm hard into it it will not bark. i'll have to do some testing with my boxes and some test driving to get it figured out. seems like everyone else with the issue just drives around it - so once i get things figured i may have to do the same.

the valve body was done in house at excell.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:45 PM

Dewd, My DTT does almost the exact same things.
That is as long as you mean the trans will slip/stall on cold mornings.. not the engine right?

On a cold morning if I start it right up and go, it's almost like it doesnt go into first. Engine runs great, but Ill just slowely roll back as if in netrual. Ive never givin it pedal to see what happens though so I cant tell you what it does exactly.

My fix.. let the truck run for atleast 30 seconds every morning no matter outside temp. If its been sitting 8 or more hours, no harm in lettin fluids get movin before goin. And its never done it if I let it run for a second.

I believe my DTT also will unlock between 3 & 4.
Playing around with my lock up switch Ive noticed that at the right speeds, I can lock it manually in 3rd. And also lock it manually in the bottom of 4th.
That says to me that it unlocked to go into 4th, but rpm/speed/fuel load is just right that it'll stay in 4th without being locked, untill changes happen, speen/rpm/fuel load, and it re locks in 4th.
Mine will also cause turbo chuff when hittin locked OD, I just stay light on it for that shift in normal drivin, or heavy on it for that shift for kinda racin, and itll save from the chuff happenin.

I think all your experiancing sounds pretty normal, Based on im used to with mine, and you'll just learn to drive around it.
HTH, Ian
Old 09-19-2010, 07:58 PM
The Guru

after talking with a bunch of guys/shops - i have found no definitive answer. it seems to be correct for some trucks, and incorrect for others - correct for some builders, incorrect for others. there seems to be a lot of variables. i'm guessing it's normal.

also, i have been told if i'm moderately into the throttle it will bark but if i'm light (which i have been doing), or if i'm hard into it it will not bark. i'll have to do some testing with my boxes and some test driving to get it figured out. seems like everyone else with the issue just drives around it - so once i get things figured i may have to do the same.

the valve body was done in house at excell.
Jason, your going to have to run twins. Not turbo barking to worry about. Each one of my turbo's are running mid map area, less than a pressure ratio of 2:1

Problems start to occurs once you push 4:1 or higher, you just have more forces acting on the impeller.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 PM

well i got the truck back from the tranny shop today. they could not get it to duplicate the stalling issue. i'll have to play with the settings on my programmers to troubleshoot this futher. it could very well be that my vp44 is starting to get weak . . . and just got exposed due to a tough tranny.

also, the lockup from 3rd to 4th is all computer controlled. i tried a couple different things today on the highway and if i'm HARD into it it will unlock for the shift. but if it's locked, i have to be light on it so it doesn't bark too bad. i'll get used to it - as others have. if it becomes too much of a PITA then i'll go with twins . . .

thanx for all the help and advice!
Old 09-21-2010, 12:08 AM

Jason, the think-tank in Airdrie has been formulating a plan to help alleviate your barking issue. I will be discussing it further with Mike tomorrow, hopefully get a tester on my truck end of this week or next week, depending on part availability.

Quick Reply: proper shifting for built auto . . .