Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

PDR Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PDR Intercooler

PDR has been working on the intercooler fix over the stock versions for a while now and they/I believe it has worked out. The cooler will fit in both 12 and 24 trucks with no issues other than the normal D/C install...Direct Bolt in, and is pressure tested to 150 psi then heated to simulate our turbo's air temp that is created.

As some of you know my stock cooler finally let go a week or so ago and the timing couldn't have been better, now needing an intercooler I called Piers on the new ones and it had just come in that day, so they quickly shipped it to me to R&D and so I could have a working cooler.

So here are some of the results copied from the E-mail I sent:

Pressure drop at 60 psi of boost is 4psi with pop off valves capped, cross verified with swapping the gauges, measured from the discharge of the little turbo prior to the cooler verses the intake hat......Final air intake temp drop at the hat was 60 degrees less than the stock unit.

Temp drop was measured at 65 psi of boost at the intake hat, 400 degrees at the discharge elbow of the small turbo prior to the Intercooler, result was less than 90 degrees at the hat because that was as low as I could get the gauge to read, this would be better tested when it was colder outside....conditions were 75 degrees F, Humidity 48%, Baro 29.98, elevation 1300 ft!

EGTs' in Valet were 1450 (down from 1550) at 115 MPH going from 30 MPH, locked converter normal drill. I made two runs like this as I couldn't see the gauge good the first time. First one netted 130 degrees at the hat, the second netted 150, power in valet should be about 550......all of this was with pop offs capped and at 75 psi.

I did not make a full fuel run with the pop offs capped.....you guess why. When I measured the intercooler temp drop the last time it was with the old Twins, then I got a 280 degree drop but at 50 psi of boost, I don't think we are seeing the full potential in this area because we can't see the lowest temp at the hat but I'm very pleased so far.

The cooler does everything I expected and more, I'm still testing so if you folks want to see something that I can test just post it and I will try to duplicate it.

BOTW, the intake temps I'm seeing are lower than what I usually see with the water on, so needless to say with the water on I can't read the temps that low, I did try it during the day and couldn't read the temps below 125 degrees.

Jim
Old 09-22-2004, 09:36 AM

sounds like a winner jim, will we get to see it at the next dfw dyno day?
Old 09-22-2004, 10:34 AM

Any Pics??
Old 09-22-2004, 11:07 AM

price
Old 09-22-2004, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by gunracer1
sounds like a winner jim, will we get to see it at the next dfw dyno day?
There will be a dyno at the Texas Rally in Kerrville on Oct. 9th if you want to try it then Jim!!
Old 09-23-2004, 10:00 AM

A few things.

The cooler is a stock design as far as fit so you the end user doesn't have to modify anything to make it fit.

I don't do prices unless your buying something from me......not any of my business.

If I came to the TDR rally is will be along the lines of a miracle as I'm about to go on the road.

Jim
Old 09-23-2004, 10:03 AM

Pics
Old 09-23-2004, 10:05 AM

Pic
Old 09-23-2004, 10:14 AM

Are you sure that is not my truck?? Did you switch my cooler with yours?? Come on now fess up!! Thanks again for the help, your tricks are well worth the wait!! I am absolutely without a doubt a very happy camper!! Now for the clutch as it doesen't look like it will last If you don't leave let me know. Be safe up there and holler at me when you get back. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 09-25-2004, 04:37 PM

A little update on the cooler! There are actually two versions of the cooler that were produced for R&D, I'm still testing things on this one to get it more like second nature to me on a day to day basis, the second one will be shipped to me next week and I will test the two against each other to determine if one is better than the other, the better of the two will go into production in the very near future. The question was on the differences of the two would the pressure drop be too much, well we know at 60 psi there is a 4 psi pressure drop, which means it's good for flow as well as keeping air in there long enough to cool it properly.

The things that I'm thinking of on this one verses the stock cooler are that the stock cooler is restrictive for a reason....to hold the air enough to cool it, but if you hold too much then the charger/s just heat the air up more so you finally gain no advantage, you can really hear this coming off boost as you can tell the chargers aren't pushing as hard. If any of you have heard my truck come off boost on the dyno you know what I mean, almost barks the turbo's

The pain in the design was getting all the tabs/bracket holes ect to work as near perfect as the stock one for you the end customer. What I would like to know from you'll is would you want the cooler to come painted like this one or would you want it aluminum looking for appearence.

Jim
Old 09-25-2004, 04:49 PM

aluminum definitely ...

paint just flakes off eventually and retards heat exchange ...

i wish i knew for sure that these would drop egts for me like they did for you ...

new turbo has egts maxed at 1400 on 5x5 ...

1300 sure would be nice ...

please continue to update/advertise

if i could just convince the boss
Old 09-26-2004, 12:53 AM

It would nice to test it on a truck at 400-450 hp with either a 35 or a 40 on it as the pressure drop at 30 psi is 1 pound. I've got a truck here in town to do it on but he's not setup to test temps, cross boost ect but it would be a good candidate with 432 hp on a stock 35 as I'm sure the air is super hot!

Even running around today in valet I still find it hard to believe the truck runs as hard as it does with almost no smoke at WOT......I need to hit the dyno again and see were everything went to before I make another change.

Even for a truck running low boost (30 psi) you should still see a good gain, but if you had a bad cooler it would be crazy to spend that much money for a stocker when a much better one is available.

Jim
Old 09-26-2004, 10:57 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intercoolers dont work better without black paint! They work WORSE without black paint.

Anyone designing an intercooler should know this common fact without even thinking about it.

Don~
Old 09-26-2004, 12:08 PM

i stand corrected Don ...

i just assumed that coating a metal that is designed to transfer heat would be like putting a coat on in the winter

could you explain why the black paint would make the intercooler more efficient

thanks
Old 09-26-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Don M
Intercoolers dont work better without black paint! They work WORSE without black paint.

Anyone designing an intercooler should know this common fact without even thinking about it.

Don~
Yes, please explain? Anything on Aluminum is an insulator near as I can tell. Why would you want or try to slow down the heat loss?

Granted I'm not an engineer, but this seems to be common sense. Please tell me what I'm missing.

Josh

Quick Reply: PDR Intercooler