Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

P Pump Or Monster Vp

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P Pump Or Monster Vp

i was wondering what was better for everyday use a p pump or a monster vp.
i thought about doing one. either way i will have 0.93 lines. what are the pros and cons of both?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:12 PM
The Guru

P pump. A monster vp hasn't survived to live on the street. A worked 913 pump would make some decent ponies even with 275 sized cheapo injectors. How much daily driving you do? Is this a daily driver?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:34 PM

I gotta agree on the P-pump. From what Ive read, the Monster VPs are pretty much hit-and-miss. Ive read that a P-pump conversion can be finicky on the street, but I think if you get it tuned correctly it'll be fine. And atleast you wont have to wonder when the next dead pedal will happen, signaling the end of your pump. Plus, itll supply MORE than enough fuel for all the power you can ever want
Old 11-21-2008, 08:35 AM

The last dyno I went to out of 35 trucks of all type to VP trucks were one and two thay both made over 640 hp there was one guy there with a p-pump 24v he made 460hp also told me he wished he never did it now looking back but thats just one guy . p-pumps do make good power if you can get it tuned in
Old 11-21-2008, 10:56 AM

your bigger VP pump is goin to cost you alot less most likely than that P-pump conversion...I've talked to a couple guys taht said the conversion can be 5 grand or more... thats alot of money and more yet depending on what kinda p-pump you put on???

go with the bigger VP and you can save your self some money and put that money elsewhere in your truck!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 01:47 PM
The Guru

What kinda of power numbers you looking for? Its rare for a VP truck to break to much into the 700+ rwhp area and the monster rumor keeps going around, and around. If you want more than 700rwhp on fuel, you'll have to run either twin CP pumps or a big 913 race P pump. Its always about tuning, even with VP trucks. Most just give up and there tons of reason why trucks don't make any hp on the dyno but rip up the track. It could even be the dyno operator not loading the truck up right.

I vote for a standard SO pump and hit it with a good shoot of NOS. How many dyno events are won by truck running fuel only? Most ones that I've done, you can tune you're truck up good and have it running hard, someone comes in with a big shot of NOS, stock turbo, and anybodies off the shelf tuner put a beating on ya on the rollers.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:09 PM

I'd say a P-pump. A monster pump has yet to prove them selfs in making real power gains or how long they last before crapping out. Why pay $3000 fpr a monster pump that it is only a matter of time untill it dies and you have to spend the money again on anoghter? Or, just put the $3000 into a good P-pump conversion and have a reliable injection pump that you can make as streetable or nasty as you like.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rodram2002
I'd say a P-pump. A monster pump has yet to prove them selfs in making real power gains or how long they last before crapping out. Why pay $3000 fpr a monster pump that it is only a matter of time untill it dies and you have to spend the money again on anoghter? Or, just put the $3000 into a good P-pump conversion and have a reliable injection pump that you can make as streetable or nasty as you like.
Very well said
Old 11-21-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rodram2002
We have a winner.

P-pumps have been proven reliable, Monster pumps (VP's) in general are a crap shoot. Not to mention, a mechanical 24v is just that much cooler.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:04 PM

ok i daily drive the truck. i hot rod a lil. i do truck pulls. u can see my pulls on you tube just look up my name aaron holt. the harrison pull is where its running full power. fuel surging does not bother me. hope that helps
Old 11-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by puffsmokeonya
ok i daily drive the truck. i hot rod a lil. i do truck pulls. u can see my pulls on you tube just look up my name aaron holt. the harrison pull is where its running full power. fuel surging does not bother me. hope that helps
Nice pulls! I just checked them out. Looks like the truck pulls well as is. What box you running? Lots of wheel speed, What gear?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
What kinda of power numbers you looking for? Its rare for a VP truck to break to much into the 700+ rwhp area and the monster rumor keeps going around, and around. If you want more than 700rwhp on fuel, you'll have to run either twin CP pumps or a big 913 race P pump. Its always about tuning, even with VP trucks. Most just give up and there tons of reason why trucks don't make any hp on the dyno but rip up the track. It could even be the dyno operator not loading the truck up right.

I vote for a standard SO pump and hit it with a good shoot of NOS. How many dyno events are won by truck running fuel only? Most ones that I've done, you can tune you're truck up good and have it running hard, someone comes in with a big shot of NOS, stock turbo, and anybodies off the shelf tuner put a beating on ya on the rollers.
I think it's pathetic seeing trucks that can only make high hp numbers by using NOS. I think the people who actually know how to work on their trucks, and tune them right, should be rewarded with the feeling that they did something worthwile. When someone who hasn't put a lot of time or thought into his truck comes to a dyno, uses a huge shot if NOS and has a higher hp number, I think it kind of discgraces the diesel communtiy. Thats just my opinion though...
Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
P pump. A monster vp hasn't survived to live on the street. A worked 913 pump would make some decent ponies even with 275 sized cheapo injectors. How much daily driving you do? Is this a daily driver?
ok im lost what is a 913 pump or is that just another name for the pumps on the 12valves or is it a year specific pump like the 160hp 175hp and 215hp pumps do u have a link on a 913 race pump? i have a 98 12valve auto with i think the 175 pump and i was thinking about putting it on my 99 24valve auto since the 98 is a parts truck for me and my brother and a spare parts for my 96 5spd that brings up another kinda off topic ? which pump can be built up for more hp the 160 175 or the 215 my 96 is pretty strong with hardly any mods but i have read from other ppl that a fully built 215 will not compare to a fully built smaller pump sorry if this is to far off topic i have been wondering this for quite some time and this is the place to ask
Old 11-21-2008, 10:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEuLCBJPIA
heres the link.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by J Lent
Nice pulls! I just checked them out. Looks like the truck pulls well as is. What box you running? Lots of wheel speed, What gear?
i have a tst but thats all im sayin. i dont share secrets lol

Quick Reply: P Pump Or Monster Vp