Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

p - pump conversion questions

Old 01-28-2004, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p - pump conversion questions

Ok i know this is can be done ,and its a bit tough , but i need some knowledge from you guys , 1 - does the cam gear get replaced ? 2- yes or no the timing case ...kieth at dd says no , it gos in the 24 valve one. 3- injector pop off ? the pump is gonna cost me 500 ...yes its a good one 215 -913 as far as the electronics it seems to me you just unplug the vp , pull your ce light and go on , i got the lines covered , i got lift pump covered, im missing something i bet ....

please please ! info from someone who has done this on there own or know the TRUTH ??!!

thank you for any info , travis
Old 01-28-2004, 08:30 AM

p.s. i am doing this because ive been through 3 , about to be 4 vp's ! and just short of of running a 2 inch 30 hp pump in the bed of my truck for a lift pump ...... i've got good pressure , been running that high sulfur diesel if you know what i mean . 1 pump went at 124000 2 went at 30000 3 is just a big piece of junk when it was new it leaked diesel out the main seal in the rear of the pump , more info - 98 24 valve 5 spd 4x4 167000 , tst comp box , bd 1 injectors , pusher pump max of 18-20 , min of 10-12 . last pump blew on level 3 on my box
Old 01-28-2004, 02:43 PM

you might want to put this in the comp section
Old 01-28-2004, 03:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are going through so many VPs, I suggest you find out WHAT'S CAUSING THE VPs TO FAIL.

Undertaking the HUGE and complex process of a P-pump conversion is an awful expensive way to go about this. P-Pump conversions are usually for those who are seeking max HP, and cost is no object.

For the rest of us, a p-pump conversion offers little benefit.

I would think it would make a LOT more sense to just swap in a whole 12V engine if you want the P-pump that bad.

That said, it sounds like you have made up your mind on the P-pump conversion, so I hope it goes well and gives you the results you seek.

Justin
Old 01-28-2004, 04:02 PM

he knows this truck, has had it a very long time. the onlt complaint he has had is injection pumps. so a switch to a p pump should fix the only proble he has had with it. and 500 hp would be sweet also.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:30 PM

the fuel is geting to my vp good , that said could it be my box (tst comp) if it is then what ??? stay stock ... that sucks ive been having these probs with remans from czec . regardless if got a brand new pump its a 100000 mile pump ... and i want power ,so i will have a box on it , that will only reduce that life span . i know of at least one truck that has has been rebuilt once with the same p7100 !(inj pump was not touched )450 thousand miles on a injection pump!! ive spent $3700 in the last year on vp's that would have went a long way on a conversion(by the way i'm doing this my self) I have gathered enough info to start , but i need some more , Electronics part - can you just unplug the vp and go on ????
Old 01-28-2004, 08:19 PM

I agree with HOHN.....maybe you could swap in a 12V and sell your 24V & performance parts. Thats way youd get your P-Pump, can bomb the 12V for cheap, and dont have to mess around with the electronics.....I know it doesnt really help, but its just a thought.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:57 PM

well that idea has crossed my mind and if a 12 pops up i would do it , BUT i would still need a 98 12valve pcm to keep my smart dash . i think ( and this is a if ) you can just unhook the vp44 , unplug the check engine light and go on ??? i think... i need to know this one . if all other sensors are left in place along with the ecm i think the dash will still work
Old 01-28-2004, 11:19 PM

I wish I could give you more useful information...good luck...
Old 01-28-2004, 11:51 PM

hey , thanks anyway !
Old 01-29-2004, 03:07 AM

You say you have a Powermax Comp, where do you have the box ground going to? I ask this because if the box is ground to the injection pump it will kill it. My other suggestion is to not get the pump from the previous supplier, if you've went through 2 of them already I think that should tell you something. Maybe buy one from Peirs or the like and see what happens.

All of that being said the $3700 you spent on the 2 new VP44's will have gotten you about half way to the P-pump conversion from what I've been told. Not to mention all the tuning the conversion involves to get it up and running just right.

Good Luck
DB
Old 01-29-2004, 08:14 AM

i can't see any way he would spenp the kind of money you are talking about. heck it should be about a wash after he sells off his hi po electronics.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:18 AM

ive got my current leaking vp traded for stand tested ,used p7100 there went the big cost ......
Old 01-29-2004, 11:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Like I said, good luck. Be advised of all the complexities.

First off, the injectors for 12V and 24V have different pop-offs (24V being higher). Thus your timing will be ALL screwed up. The pump drive is different, and you will need a different timing case.

Then there's the mechanical LP that the P-pump needs, and your 24V doesn't have the lobe to drive the cam.

So now you need a new cam, a new timing cover, CUSTOM injectors designed specifically for p-pump conversions (which are BIG $$).

The p-pump conversion is NOT the simple undertaking some people want to believe that it is. The injection pump is the HEART of the engine, and everything else is designed around it. Changing to a different style pump means changing a LOT of related goods. Thus, you are basically re-engineering the engine.

Ask Roger Rodbolt (member here or maybe TDR) about how difficult a p-pump conversion can be.

It's nice that already have the P7100 pump, as that is a major part of the cost.

But unfortunately, it represents LESS THAN HALF of what the p-pump conversion costs.

Typical estimates usually exceed $10K by quite a bit. That's a LOT of VP44s!!

I am not trying to rain on your parade. I just would hate to see you get halfway through this then realize that it's going to take a lot more time and $$ than you figured. Worse yet, I would hate to see you get it done and then find that you didn't get what you wanted after spending all that time and money.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Justin
Old 01-29-2004, 02:02 PM

i bet i could do a conversion for under 1500 bucks. but i do have a ability to come up with all kinds of stuff. and i think i could get the timing right with a little bit of home work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: p - pump conversion questions