Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

"o" clamps from turbo to cooler...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"o" clamps from turbo to cooler...

Being a newbie...I hope that the terms used are the correct ones...with that said...<br><br>When I first bought my '02, I ran it by SparkChaser's house...he mentioned to be sure and check the hose clamps completely around the turbo including those to the air filter and to the cooler. Just got done checking and, what do you know?!! I couldn't believe how incredibly LOOSE they were?!?!?!?! What the ?@?#$?? Is this going to continue to be a problem? If so, are there any other types of clamps that would work better? Just thought I would pass this along in case there are other new owners out there learning along with me! ;D Thanks!<br><br>Oh...n' I guess thanks are in order for SparkChaser as well...
Old 04-05-2003, 10:34 PM

Re:"o" clamps from turbo to cooler...

For some reason I had never checked mine till last weekend, i was also very suprised how loose they were. I probably tightened it up enough to see 3/4&quot; - 1&quot; of &quot;clean&quot; thread. I would definitely recommend everyone check theirs if you haven't already. I haven't really heard of anyone replacing them with a different type of clamp, i would just re check them every so often and worry about it if they are loosening up....as i understand it they usually just aren't tightened good enough from the factory.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:37 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

Run to your closest truck stop and buy 4 good quality clamps, with spring loaded teflon nuts. These will still back off over time, but not as quickly as the stockers will...<br><br>Rod
Old 04-06-2003, 08:14 PM

Your suggestion is a good one Rod, however, 3rd party clamps don't have that stupid positioning slot cut in them. So........I guess a person has a couple of choices. Try to fashion a slot in the aftermarket clamp or cut the elongated rubber &quot;tit&quot; of the the hose, in which case DC will probably void your factory warranty. In any event, your local Dodge dealer will try to charge you an arm and a leg for the OEM clamps (I want to say around $26 each?). I do know that yes, you should keep them tight but do know that they can be stripped quite easily and as one has to remove the intake from the turbo for oil changes, this can/could happen quite easily.<br><br>Roger
Old 04-06-2003, 09:02 PM

You are talking about a totally different clamp! They are talking about intercooler clamps.<br><br>[quote author=Racer57 link=board=7;threadid=13243;start=0#124901 date=1049678088]<br>Your suggestion is a good one Rod, however, 3rd party clamps don't have that stupid positioning slot cut in them. So........I guess a person has a couple of choices. Try to fashion a slot in the aftermarket clamp or cut the elongated rubber &quot;tit&quot; of the the hose, in which case DC will probably void your factory warranty. In any event, your local Dodge dealer will try to charge you an arm and a leg for the OEM clamps (I want to say around $26 each?). I do know that yes, you should keep them tight but do know that they can be stripped quite easily and as one has to remove the intake from the turbo for oil changes, this can/could happen quite easily.<br><br>Roger<br>[/quote]
Old 04-06-2003, 09:28 PM

sorry