Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

no more boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no more boost

I just installed my #5 tst plate. I also put the elbow in on the line on the turbo. I am now still only running 18psi and was wondering if i have done something wrong that would keep boost from getting to about 25-30 psi. I have done everything that i can think of that may be a problem. If you guys have anymore suggestions i would appreciate them. thanks again.
-Gary
Old 11-20-2005, 07:56 PM

Does the truck feel like more hp or still stock?
Does the engine smoke? Sign of fuel, but no boost.
Did you slide the AFC housing forward and spin the starwheel? The AFC will limit fuel which limits boost.

Forget to tighten the band clamp on the boot after installing the intake? Get the gasket in the intake? Forget a bolt?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fueling around
Does the truck feel like more hp or still stock?
Does the engine smoke? Sign of fuel, but no boost.
Did you slide the AFC housing forward and spin the starwheel? The AFC will limit fuel which limits boost.

Forget to tighten the band clamp on the boot after installing the intake? Get the gasket in the intake? Forget a bolt?
there is definately more hp, and a lot more smoke. i spun the starwheel out and moved the afc houseing forward. i made sure the band clamp was tight and put a new gasket on becuase the old one was burnt up and cracked, and there were now left over bolts. but if the afc housing isnt tight, will that create a boost leak or not? im just getting involved with this and dont know too much about boost.
-Gary
Old 11-20-2005, 08:55 PM

one more thing is that my boost guage is mechanical and is tapped in on the back of the intake horn. not sure if this makes a difference, just a little more info.
-Gary
Old 11-20-2005, 10:00 PM

Try removing the boost elbow and plugging the compressor housing. That will tell you if the turbo can produce more boost. It it does, then the elbow needs adjusting.

If not
the wastegate may be stuck
charge air leak at intercooler or couplings.

Unless you added an AFC spring and ruined the diapgram it should not leak. Possible it did rupture, too.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Fueling around
Try removing the boost elbow and plugging the compressor housing. That will tell you if the turbo can produce more boost. It it does, then the elbow needs adjusting.

If not
the wastegate may be stuck
charge air leak at intercooler or couplings.

Unless you added an AFC spring and ruined the diapgram it should not leak. Possible it did rupture, too.
exactly how do you plug the wastegate? it shouldnt be stuck beings the recon motor and turbo have under 20K miles on them. how can you tell if it did rupture?
-Gary