Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Next phase in building my truck...3 weeks to do it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next phase in building my truck...3 weeks to do it!

As of right now I have a little under 3 weeks to figure what next im going to do to my truck, there is so many options and I don't wanna throw money away at things i dont need right away.

I replaced my HG the other weekend and will have studs here soon but i wanna find out what the deal is with my truck.

For having the mods i have im surprised that im not smoking more than I am...With Edge all the way up and boost levels at about 20 psi + it will smoke a bit but im a little disappointed in overall performance

Max boost im reaching right now is ~ 43 psi

Im thinking I need a new turbo to cool down EGT's a bit but i still need more fuel too somehow to get more smoke.

I dont have a ton of money but wanna get the truck all set up for Eric Merchant's Spring Fling and show a bunch of the Duramax guys what a real motor is!

I know all of my questions are kind of all over the place but i wanna build my truck up right, not throw money away.

Should i get a FASS before upgrading turbo?

Programmers...im tryin to hold of right now on that because i figure for now i'll use my edge but am thinking of a smarty stack here in the future ??

Two things diesels need...Fuel & Air, i just need help on maximizing the best bang for my buck & figuring out what works & what doesn't work for the 24V.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-04-2007, 02:08 PM

get a fass or other non stock lift pump first then look at bigger inj and upgraded turbo
Old 06-04-2007, 04:08 PM

max boost on is 43 psi? your sig says stock turbo...ouch!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Banned

head studs and o-rings are needed at 43psi? Im just curious

I will be out at eric's thing, hopefully a lot of CTD guys from here will be there too. The more the merrier

ben
Old 06-05-2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by duratothemax
head studs and o-rings are needed at 43psi? Im just curious

I will be out at eric's thing, hopefully a lot of CTD guys from here will be there too. The more the merrier

ben

Head Studs & O-rings are a good idea, im kind of on the edge of the acceptable boost levels for stock turbo & stock head bolts right now maybe i could push 50 + psi but thats not a chance i want to take & with what i want and what i've got.

I'd like to start building up with the stuff that will be able to withstand all the power i throw at it in the future, head studs are a must.

I blew my head gasket a few weeks ago running water/meth injection...I would have done studs when i had the head off but it was memorial day weekend and nobody was open so i slapped the head back on and called it good.

This being a straight 6 motor I can put studs in without having to remove the head here in the near future...im not sure whether you can do that with the V-8 diesels or not, i've never done them on a duramax or powerstroke but have done them on V-8 gassers & always have had the heads off.

Hope to see you at Merchants, i know you've got a fast truck duratothemax...i've heard alot about it on the diesel place.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

A 50hp cam? Never heard about that. Anyways, the cam is probably helping get more air in and out and that's what's causing the low smoke levels. That or your injection pump is on it's way out. Smoke is just lost power anyways so be glad you don't have any. I'd get a new turbo and lift pump setup and then you should be good to go. Oh yeah, get studs.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

ya Ill be there...but my truck is peanuts compared to the big dog dmax's and CTD's that are going to be there. Im looking forward to meeting all you guys...its always cool to put faces with forum names

ben
Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Boilermaker08
Two things diesels need...Fuel & Air, i just need help on maximizing the best bang for my buck & figuring out what works & what doesn't work for the 24V.

Thanks guys!
Electronics- get your comp upgraded to drag and your done there
Lift pump- whatever works. 22 psi is optimal for max power
Then add a quality injector like a ddp5 or mach 6/7
finally add a 66 or 71mm turbo and you've got a proven high power setup.