Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New 24v Owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 24v Owner with a few questions

My grandfather passed about a year ago, and my grandmother has decided to sell his truck, and I cannot stand to see it go. Its a 2001 - 2500 single cab auto SLT. Can anyone recommended what mods I could start with or should check into first? It'll be a daily driver and occationally tow 10K. I'd prefer not to have to jump right into the tranny, but also not buy mods in stages either. If I must just relegate myself to stay off the pedal to save the tranny, I'm cool with that.

I come from the 1st gen world where mods are cheap and simple as turning a screw, so please bare with me if this comes as a stupid question to some.

Thanks in advance.

-Jeff
Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 AM

Guages would be the first thing you'll want to buy. then after that a tuner and exhaust. A 24 valve person should step in now...
Old 02-19-2010, 02:12 PM

Buy a good fuel system to get rid of the factory lift pump. I run a FASS and have had nothing but good luck with it. Then its your choice of box to run. I would start saving for tranny components at this point. Torque converter and valve body should keep it liveable for quite some time.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:29 PM

X2. I see you have gauges already so next would be fuel system.
Go bigger to save from having to replace it down the road to handle bigger power.
FASS 150 is what I have and really like.
Airdog is a good brand as well.

Look for packages so you can get alot at once for a good price. some even come with fuel systems.
http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/shop..._packages.html
http://www.xtremediesel.com/packagedeals_1.aspx

There are a few others out there as well.
HTH
Old 02-20-2010, 09:09 AM

I'd say go with some injectors (RV275) for a daily driver and low towing miles. Also an Edge EZ box will help out as well. A 4" exhaust would be good too. If you take it easy, your tranny should last a little longer.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Chapter President

First: Gauges to see where you are. (I assume the sig. is your 1st gen truck) W/ an auto I'd go with Fuel Pressure, Trans temp for sure (pyro and Boost if you can afford at the same time). If your fuel pressure is low, you'll be buying an injection pump before long - which will dip into your funds for about 1000+.

Second: FASS, Airdog, or some other form of beefed up fuel system.

Third: will probably depend on your numbers. if your egt's are high, you'll want an air intake and exhaust to help. If not, then start looking at boxes, edge comp box, smarty, are some that come to mind.

Fourth: Here's where you'll want to start building your trans. (if you are easy on the above box/tuner you won't have to do this as soon as you would if you are hard on the truck or tow a lot.

Then you can start adding new injectors, turbo(s), head studs, o-rings,... the list goes on and on.

Think about what you want your end goal to be. Street truck, heavy hauler, toy, etc. This will help to steer you in the right direction.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:04 AM

edge j/a first, as it gives gauges, then it will likely tell you you need a LP. advantage of buying the J/A first is, its cheaper than any cheap 60hp box and gauges, and it does way more. to save your tranny at the begining, just dont tap the pump wire, then later you can as money permits. after that you can add injectors/turbo(s) and get bitten by the hp bug
Old 02-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by nickg
edge j/a first, as it gives gauges, then it will likely tell you you need a LP. advantage of buying the J/A first is, its cheaper than any cheap 60hp box and gauges, and it does way more. to save your tranny at the begining, just dont tap the pump wire, then later you can as money permits. after that you can add injectors/turbo(s) and get bitten by the hp bug
I agree. Thats a good idea...
Old 02-21-2010, 09:24 AM

I like the j/a too. Cheaper than getting all the guages, plus power on demand with the push of a button.