Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need advise, help. Tire rub issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advise, help. Tire rub issues.

I have 2" leveling spacers in my front. Also have the adjustable track bar, duall dampeners, steering stabilizer. I had 35" tires on stock 16x8 wheels, and had no rubbing issues. I upgraded to 20x9 wheels with 35" tires. They are 1" wiider, and hence, stick out 1" further. Now I have rubbing when I turn wheels, and they rub at bottom of fender/rocker panel. I do not have the 1/2" longer control arms on, but it looks like it would take more then that 1/2" to clear. When I stand and look at front wheels, they look like they are too far back (more then the 1/2"), and the cam bolts for the lowewre control arms are positioned so that the axle is back as far as they will adjust. Now this is where the alignment shop has everything adjusted, and when driving, it drives nice and strait, but if I turn at just the right amount, and hit any kind of pebble, I will tear up my tires and fender. How much higher on lift, or longer on control arms do I need to clear these tires with my truck. I guess, what are my options. Basically, I want to go only as far as I need to. Not looking to put a huge lift on this thing. Just looing for the minimal requirements to run these wheel/tires.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:05 AM

Does anyone know the minimum lift for my tires to clear? I have adjustable control arms coming, and I would to a 3" leveling kit if needed. I just didn't want to get into changing pitman arm, and drop brackets for track bar and stuff.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:55 PM

When I stand and look at front wheels, they look like they are too far back
As you lift the truck the link bars will get effectively shorter and pull the front wheels backwards. I would look into some longer bars. I don't think you can get away with wide 35" with only 2" of lift without rubbing some where.

My lift kit came with longer bars to keep the wheels in the same location.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:50 AM

hey man i got a 01 dodge ram 2500 i have a 5 inch lift and with 37's (13.50 wide) i scrub really bad ,i don't know whether you would scrub or not with a 3 inch
Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 AM

I got ajustable upper and lower arms. I set them to about 1" longer then stock, and the wheels look centered now. I put the wider wheels back on, and everything looks like it will clear nicely. The bars are made by Ruske, and I have to say, not impressed with there quality. They are made too short from the start, and in order to get the 1" longer length, I had to unscrew the ends almost all the way out. I don't think there is any way they would work for 6" lift as they claim. Poor quality in my opinion, but they will work for what I have. I had to make a new cam bolt for one side, the others were in good shape. I also extended the sway bar end links to get the sway bar in the correct position. Took the truck for a ride, and 90% of the clunking over bumps is gone, and the ride is smoother, quieter. I had been thinking the control arms/bushings were going bad for a while, so all seems to be good for the moment.