Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

melted pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
melted pistons?

i am concerned that maybe i melted a piston or two. i didnt run it over 1200 degrees but it is sure running funny. can anybody tell me the symptoms the had when they melted pistons. thanks
Old 05-11-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by iforge03
i am concerned that maybe i melted a piston or two. i didnt run it over 1200 degrees but it is sure running funny. can anybody tell me the symptoms the had when they melted pistons. thanks
Jammer 5's and a TST Competition and you've never seen over 1200??

You know I seen a spaceship on the way home from dinner tonight.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:20 PM

Don't mean to sound funny or anything, but isn't it fairly hard to melt a piston in our Cummins?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 PM

ive been over 1200 for a few seconds before, but right before my truck started running funny, i pulled a hill and hit 1200 before i backed out a little, and i stayed around 1100-1150 for a little while
Old 05-11-2007, 07:27 PM

Explain the "running funny"
Old 05-11-2007, 07:53 PM

it seems to run ok while cruising minus the smokey haze coming from the exhuast. when it idles it runs real rough like it has air in the lines and it blows smoke just idling like it isnt getting very good combustion. i cant hear any knocking coming from the engine compartment but the exhaust has a lope to it. but the exhaust sounds normal when i rev it. i got a crankshaft position sensor code so i swapped it out, but it runs the same. i tried breaking some injector lines loose, with #1 and #3 loose, it just seemed to idle slower. it makes a funny kind of a crackling noise out of the exhaust when i get around 25-30 pounds of boost.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
You know I seen a spaceship on the way home from dinner tonight.
Thats awesome!

How do you like that Quickdiesel ? iforge
Old 05-11-2007, 08:14 PM

iforge,
Just go through the process of elimination:

1. Who assembled your jammer injectors? Are they running right? If not install your stock injetors and see how they run.
2. Your VP44 could be dying. Check for codes or rough running/white smoke stumblin etc.
3. Infrared hand held thermometer on the exhaust manifold works wonders.
4. Look for aluminum pieces on injector tips.
5. Check fuel supply pressure.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:14 PM

ill let you know when i see what my pistons look like lol. its ok, it doesnt cool as well as i thought it would. it surges pretty bad and its a pain to tow with, but when youre playing and it hits about 10 pounds of boost, it flat out pulls.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:19 PM

thanks pouring diesel, i was planning on swapping the injectors out to see if that is the problem. it seemed like maybe an injector problem to me at first, but i have had them in for 2 months and they ran great, then all of a sudden this? kind of made me think of something else, and now im at work and i cant mess with it so my mind is wandering and the panic is starting to set in.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much boost are you running? Is the head stud/oringed? Check your oil for metal shavings, antifreeze [white or gray in oil]. I don't see a fuel system in your sig....maybe the VP44. I would start with checking the oil/antifreeze levels etc....then check for fuel leaks....then swap the injectors out & see if that helps. I read a post similar to this over on TDR a while back....turned out to be rusted fuel lines going into the fuel tank letting air in the system. I hope it is something simple....good luck!
Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 PM

im running 40 pounds of boost with stock headbolts and no head work. i was worried about the head gasket, but my fluids all seem to be ok. my oil looked clean on the dipstick, but now that you mention checking for metal shavings, i think i will pull out my bypass filter and check it. i have a fass pump and a low fuel pressure light. i noticed a while ago that the fitting on the inlet side of my fass pump was leaking a little and i havent had time to fool with it. i never even though of that being a problem, boy that would be too easy if that was the problem.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Registered

If you have a hole in a pistion, you can take off the oil fill cap and have alot of blowby. I doubt that's your problem.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:51 PM

thanks blackdiesel i will give that a try. i hope that isnt my problem, this is my busy season and it cant be down too long. my wife has already jumped ship. all im hearing right now is, "why dont you get rid of that piece of junk and get a new one".
Old 05-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you melted a piston....you would know it. You would also see alot of smoke coming from the vent tube if you don't have a bottle. Get those leaks fixed....you should be alright. I'm crossing my fingers for ya! Good Luck!

Quick Reply: melted pistons?