Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Melted Piston Pics from the tow rig

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by signature600
Thanks for bringing that cooling kit back to my attention...I need to order one ASAP, while the head is off! Although I'll alter th plumbing a bit I have a water cooled Garrett charger, and I'm moving the heat exchanger, so I'll just eliminate the lines coming off the head all together.

Chris
im ordering mine this week because i need to mess with the heater core hoses anyway when i do a flush again. im also worried that tho i dont see over 1500 on the pyro, eventually #6 is gonna get hot enough to do major damage.

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...er-p-1374.html
Old 10-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Bobcat698
I'm not changing to a 24 Valve head so I think 3rd gen pistons aren't an option.
Doesnt Joefarmer (brandon) Run third Gen pistons in his 12v?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Banned

I don't know what Brandon is running in his 2nd gen but the common rail pistons have a centered bowl for combustion. A 12v and 24v's pistons have an offset bowl.

Garrett can the coolant kit be installed with the head on the truck?

I think the valve job will be fine, the head that is on my truck now came out of a junk yard and had rust all over it and everything machined out fine. If you need another exhaust valve I can ship you one that you can have for free, I have a crapload of them here that I don't need.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Muddin_dude06
I don't know what Brandon is running in his 2nd gen but the common rail pistons have a centered bowl for combustion. A 12v and 24v's pistons have an offset bowl.

I think the valve job will be fine, the head that is on my truck now came out of a junk yard and had rust all over it and everything machined out fine. If you need another exhaust valve I can ship you one that you can have for free, I have a crapload of them here that I don't need.
The coolant kit would probably be pretty difficult to do with the head on the engine unless it was sitting on the engine stand. You need to remove the freeze plug (key word: remove) which isn't all the fun, you don't want to drop it into the block.
You MIGHT be able to do it but its nothing I would attempt.

The reason I'm worried about the valve job is that the piston smashed pieces of aluminum into the valve job.. It gouged it somewhat.
I took it to the machine shop today and they said it should be salvageable.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Bobcat698;1765838] You need to remove the freeze plug (key word: remove) which isn't all the fun, you don't want to drop it into the block.
You MIGHT be able to do it but its nothing I would attempt.

QUOTE]

I can atest to that, that suckers hard to get out if it drops in! Dont ask
Old 10-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by ratsun
I can atest to that, that suckers hard to get out if it drops in! Dont ask
Thanks for the warning...got my parts to put it on tonight

Chris
Old 10-30-2007, 09:28 PM
The Guru

I would just drill a hole into the frost plug and thread in a bolt into the hole. Pull on the bolt, the plug will pull out. I've tried the drift and hammer/tapping method before.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Muddin_dude06

24v has a centered bowl, no?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Banned

A 24v might, I forgot they were different than a 12v's I do know that I look forward to a friend of mine blowing a HG just so I can port a 24v head out! Lol Plus they can do firerings and we can glue them in just like we did mine with gorilla glue haha I had a LOT of fun doing my 12v, the only dilema now is I want to port one again and try a few things different
Old 10-31-2007, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
24v has a centered bowl, no?
Correct...Brandon is running RV275 pistons. Teflon lined skirt, ceramic coated tops, IIRC, and they have some "mesh" cast into them to help them hold together better!

This is all from memory, so I think it's right!
Chris
Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 AM

I hate you garrett and chris I just got my head nestled atop the block only weeks ago and now you all bring this piece of info to the table . Oh well I guess when I melt down number #6 that is a good reason to yank the whole thing and do a few more surgeries .
Brandon
Old 10-31-2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by 97' CTD
I hate you garrett and chris I just got my head nestled atop the block only weeks ago and now you all bring this piece of info to the table . Oh well I guess when I melt down number #6 that is a good reason to yank the whole thing and do a few more surgeries .
Brandon
HAHA...

I don't think it'll be much fun even with the head off...but that's tonight's plan.

Chris
Old 10-31-2007, 05:36 PM

Were those DDP's in there when the piston melted? Thats starting to make me nervious. I'm thinking maybe I should sell my ddps, studs, turbo. and be glad my truck stays running.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Captain
Were those DDP's in there when the piston melted? Thats starting to make me nervious. I'm thinking maybe I should sell my ddps, studs, turbo. and be glad my truck stays running.

This failure was 100% NOT injector related. All 6 injectors pop tested fine and flow tested identical amounts of fuel on the test stand.
Like I said, I'm pretty darn sure this failure was faulty-pyrometer induced.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't be surprised if the pyro was working fine. At very advanced timing settings and high load conditions, piston temps will skyrocket even with EGTs holding steady at a safe value.

JH

Quick Reply: Melted Piston Pics from the tow rig