Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Melted Piston Pics from the tow rig

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
Don't be surprised if the pyro was working fine. At very advanced timing settings and high load conditions, piston temps will skyrocket even with EGTs holding steady at a safe value.

JH
I get your point, but wouldn't more than the rear piston be melted if that were true?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No, the #6 piston always seems to run hotter than the rest in our trucks. I've heard it has to do with intake manifold design that keeps it from getting as much air.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bobcat698
I get your point, but wouldn't more than the rear piston be melted if that were true?
I ran more timing than that with the same pump and larger injectors... EGT's were HOT but I figured it ran "cooler" on the tow rig because I had the plate pulled back somewhat and a size smaller injectors.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing's for sure - #6 was a lot hotter on that run!

Since the sticks popped off within spec, what else could've caused so much heat in that cylinder? Wonder if the valvetrain allowed it.... #6 is usually hotter, but that level of meltage normally would've left signs of overtemp on the other slugs as well, especially since the failure appeared to be rather rapid.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:59 PM

Oh C'mon Garrett , Just go ahead, Say it, Your thinking of buying a duramax, It's okay man!

Just Kidding!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Captain
Can that be put on with the head on but the trans out? I think I saw that plug pretty clearly the half dozen or so times I had the trans out this summer.
Probably a whole lot easier that way!

Originally Posted by Joker12valve
Sounds like a normal day working on these trucks, how many tools took "flight" across the shop?
Pretty Much!

Isn't the corner of that block sharp!?
Yes...very!

Let's see if it seals!
Chris
Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
Thanks for the help Brandon...even though you weren't any
Chris
No help you aint kiddin
Brandon
Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Banned

Yeah I guess you could do it that way, I forgot!
Cool, I will probably have myself a phat dual disk clutch when Christmas roles around that would be a good time to put it in I bet!!! For some reason I am liking working on my truck more and more, whats wrong with me!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Muddin_dude06
Cool, I will probably have myself a phat dual disk clutch when Christmas roles around that would be a good time to put it in I bet!!! For some reason I am liking working on my truck more and more, whats wrong with me!
I'll make you a good deal on one! if my truck dosent start playing nice I think the DD is comming out and an OFE is going in I did one of my many clutch jobs last jan. Let me tell you. If your doing it out side in the driveway and its below freezing its not very fun. I'd maybe wait untill spring
Old 11-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain
I'll make you a good deal on one! if my truck dosent start playing nice I think the DD is comming out and an OFE is going in I did one of my many clutch jobs last jan. Let me tell you. If your doing it out side in the driveway and its below freezing its not very fun. I'd maybe wait untill spring
Lol When that time comes for you let me know I might be interested! I really want to get a hold of ValAirs new dual disk, Dan has always treated me and my friends right and BS'd with us on the phoe lol.
My best friend's Dad has a nice shop, has everything you could want except a post lift We did my clutch twice in one week because when we did the rear main seal the retainer plate gasket folded over itself and gave me a nice big leak, so out everything came to fix the stupid thing lol. We got good at it though, from taking the first bolt out to putting the last bolt in we could do it all in a leiserly 8 hours
Old 11-01-2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Muddin_dude06
Lol When that time comes for you let me know I might be interested! I really want to get a hold of ValAirs new dual disk, Dan has always treated me and my friends right and BS'd with us on the phoe lol.
My best friend's Dad has a nice shop, has everything you could want except a post lift We did my clutch twice in one week because when we did the rear main seal the retainer plate gasket folded over itself and gave me a nice big leak, so out everything came to fix the stupid thing lol. We got good at it though, from taking the first bolt out to putting the last bolt in we could do it all in a leiserly 8 hours
You're slackin'...we have them down under 5 Unfortunately, I've done a few

Chris
Old 11-01-2007, 11:30 AM

I think you guys just volinteerd to do mine again for me!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:18 PM

Block is at the machine shop, they took 30thou off number 6 and its still ugly. They don't think 40 will do it.. it will need a sleeve

I am impressed with the rest of the bores for nearly 300k, number 4 showed 2 thou wear, the rest were 1 thou or less. I plan to go 20 over on the whole works and sleeve #6.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bobcat, why do you think #4 had more wear than the others? Softer steel? Hotter running injector? More bottom end vibration? Just funny that stuff wears different.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:59 AM

8 hours to change a clutch????? Geeeeze guys, I wont do it on my back anymore, I ended up holding a tranny by myself a few times! In the shop with my tool cart and a good 1/2 to 3/8 extension about 48" long i can have one in and out in 3.5 hours

Quick Reply: Melted Piston Pics from the tow rig