Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

lift pump direct replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lift pump direct replacement

hey guys,
so the lift pump died in my '00 again and i'm going to go with a direct replacement, and i'm planning on getting a big line kit and putting it on the frame rail. my questions are:
1. whats the best direct replacement to go with? theres the fass ddrp, the vulcan raptor, and I'm sure others. oh and when i was looking at the Raptor and it says its adjustable, is there pressure that would be too high on a stock, old vp44? can you overpressurize it?
2. if i get the Vulcan Big Line Kit, am i going to need to get anything else to bolt this system on. how do you wire it when you bolt it to the frame? is the big line kit made to relocate the pump? am i going to need more fuel line? does it come with a harness extension of some sort?
I plan on putting in an in line filter before the lift pump since there already is a filter after the stock lift pump on the block.
I'd like to get everything and not make 100 trips to the parts store or forget to order something and get this thing done in a day.
3. oh i want to put on a fuel pressure guage, and havent done any research on that yet, but anyone want to give me the quick details on that. i'm hoping that the lift pump hasn't been dead for a while and that my injection pump is still ok at 150k...

4. and last, what are the good online diesel performance shops you guys go to for parts?

as always, i appreciate the time you guys take to help me out.

Pete
Old 08-15-2011, 05:30 PM

I have the FASS pump only on my '02. Pleased as can be with it. Didn't relocate it though.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used the DDRP listed in my sig and have been very happy, it holds 21 PSI at idle ,17-18 on the road and 10 @ wot. It bolted right in with no trouble. The directions said to remove the starter and change it from underneath, I changed mine from the top side and did not have to remove the starter.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:36 AM

I have a Raptor mounted on my frame rail and it's been fine.
Came with all the brackets and hardware, plumbing, fittings, wire harness.
You wire pos/neg to the battery or alternator, and it uses a relay that plugs into the stock lift pump connector to maintain computer control of the pump.
It has a built in pressure regulator.
I don't have a gauge installed in my truck so I can't give real world numbers, but I do check it periodically and see 18-20 psi at idle.
Well worth the money, IMO.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 AM

It took me a half day to replace my pump with an after market copy then while on vacation in Maine I had a mechanicic at Diesel Fuel Systems in Bangor put on a new serpentine belt, a Geno's steel cap for my fuel filter and a FASS DDRP pump - on a hot engine - torked and all, in 45 minutes - from the top. What a guy! Love the new pump - 33% more fuel flow than the junk Dodge put on in 2001.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bahaba
It took me a half day to replace my pump with an after market copy then while on vacation in Maine I had a mechanicic at Diesel Fuel Systems in Bangor put on a new serpentine belt, a Geno's steel cap for my fuel filter and a FASS DDRP pump - on a hot engine - torked and all, in 45 minutes - from the top. What a guy! Love the new pump - 33% more fuel flow than the junk Dodge put on in 2001.
While I agree those Carter pumps are junk, Dodge did not do it, Cummins did.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:03 AM

Pete
Check out my post on hot restarts. Save yourself some trouble and wire in a relay so you don't have hot restart problems. The vp44 doesn't like 20 lbs of pressure on a hot restart. I wired mine into a circuit with a relay that shuts off the pump for a split second when cranking. It works great. If you have any questions search this site for post about hot restart problems. Thats what I did, this is a great site.
Hope this helps.
Wes.