Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Life after Banks

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life after Banks

I know most of yall are not that fond of the Banks system, but I got a very good deal on mine {say $1000} and was looking for better fuel mileage when I ran Hotshot and it did that.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone out there has or had the system and did additional mods after installing the Banks. I am getting kinda boared with what I got but dont want to go all out and replace everything, Just want more out of it without spending too much.

Looking to purchase a Scotty's for sure to clean up some high EGT issues, and was thinking injectors. Now, The main question is will the Banks Otto mind fuel stage 2 injectors???.

Thanks for any input,
FreightTrain Wayneo
Old 08-02-2003, 11:05 PM

Re:Life after Banks

I haven't had any experience with stage IIs, so I don't know what they will do or won't do. But the RV275s make a noticable difference.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:10 PM

Really, How much HP and torque do you think you gained???

Thanks for the info
Old 08-03-2003, 12:53 PM

If you want the most out of what you have upgrade that thing to the Big Hoss level and install the EGT probe post turbo to prevent defueling. Rip out those gauges and get some good ones. Three out of four times that electronic boost gauge is inacurate since it gets its signal from the MAP sensor. After this go to some DD2's or whatever injector you like.

PS You could stack an EZ if you wanted to also for more bottom end and smoke.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:42 PM

"Really, How much HP and torque do you think you gained???"

Never been on a dyno - It feels like a lot (not quite the difference the whole banks set up did) but the turbo spools up faster - Overall it made a noticeable difference ;D. FWIW at the same time I installed the injectors, I put in a fuel pressure gauge. I found 15 at idle, 11->12 at cruise but 0 at WOT ???. Next came the pusher pump, new lift pump and larger banjo bolts and larger banjo fittings - now 22 at idle and 15 at WOT - So some fuel is going somewhere and there is smoke - On the other hand the clutch is still holding, but I try to be nice to it by not dumping and keeping the rpms up when it is under load etc.

If I were to replace the gauges I think I would go with the Edge Comp (which I have been thinking about doing) and forget the Big Hoss. The Big Hoss costs about the same as the Comp, but must be set to one of its 5 levels by Banks. The Comp is adjustable from the cab.

Look at the thread "Injectors worth the money" and read what Steve HeberRam has been through. Pay particular attention to what set up he said was his best running truck.

Old 08-03-2003, 05:42 PM

I found the Banks powerpack provided just about the power they specified, and a little more. I have enough torque to slip the clutch pretty easily, so have to watch that while passing Powerstrokes.
Of course, it's been over a year, and I'm ready for some more power! ;D

I didn't know that Banks used electronic gauges in the 24v. In the 12v kits they are all good quality mechanical.
:-
Old 08-04-2003, 09:56 AM

Battering Ram, Were would you rec I put the EGT probe, I have it installed on the back port/rear three cylinders of exhaust manifold right at the front per Banks instructions, and would moving this alone make any difference in fueling now?? Then after moving the probe would that temp reading be good for a shut down??

Whats involved in the Big Hoss upgrade and would I have to jack with Banks on an adjustment per dodgedually??? Have not had good luck dealing with Banks, at least the technical department.

I have been thinking about replaceing my gauges so yall just helped final that decision...and after just doing some checking it looks like a simple deal to retro the boost gauge to mechanical.

dieseldel... On 2002, EGT has an electrical sender and like Battering Ram said the boost gets its reference from the MAP, so its electrical also.

A big Thanks Battering Ram and Dodge Dually for the info ;D

Take Care,
FreightTrain Wayneo
Old 08-04-2003, 10:35 AM

Put the probe into the elbow behind the turbo... but I would not do it untill you get some new gauges. The truck will no longer defuel after 1250 so you will notice a difference then. Yes you will have to deal with Banks but it shouldn't be that hard... just tell them you want to upgrade your box to the Big Hoss level and send it in. They may charge you for it or they may not.. sometimes it depends on the mood of the person you are talking too.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:24 PM

Oh okay...The Big Hoss is a Banks upgrade, shoot I had surfed all the site links lookin for a Big Hoss controller :-[.

Cool, Thanks again for the info!!!

Take Care,
FreightTrain Wayneo
Old 08-04-2003, 06:02 PM

Just talked to Banks and they want to charge me $700 bucks for that Big Hoss upgrade, its a complete different module not just a reprograming issue. At that cost prob be better to trash the Banks Automind and start over I would guess...

Anyway, any feedback on plan B...Different box option or stacking another fuel box on the Banks mabey....
Old 08-05-2003, 10:06 PM

The nice thing about the Banks system is that it all works together and is a known and tested commodity. That in itself has value to some people.

The problem with most of us, is that the newness seems to wear off and we always want a little more.

It appears as if the Big Hoss was made to compete with the Power Edge Comp and similar setups. The Big Hoss is not adjustable as to power levels - So if you wanted the truck to do two jobs - say tow (set at lower levels), but put a larger smile on your face when running around empty (set to higher levels) the Big Hoss is not as good an option as one of the other boxes - Especially since they all cost about the same.