Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Lets talk nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So should I upgrade springs while the head is off??Stock Cummins HG or 3rd gen MLS if it will fit????????????Labor hours to R&R?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:36 PM

banshee, jetpilot,
I'm running a 12valve, but plan on going with some studs and o-rings in the spring once i'm off the college budget.
I like the idea of running a pressure switch along with a regular toggle switch to activate it, then just a push button for the final go. I don't plan on anything over a .05 jet,
thanks for the info, tim.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:58 PM

equipment

hey guys im new to this whole nox thing, were can i get some goodies for it such as a bottle and everything i need to make me a system that is reliable and safe
Old 12-08-2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by WideOpenThrottl
banshee, jetpilot,
I'm running a 12valve, but plan on going with some studs and o-rings in the spring once i'm off the college budget.
I like the idea of running a pressure switch along with a regular toggle switch to activate it, then just a push button for the final go. I don't plan on anything over a .05 jet,
thanks for the info, tim.

If your wanting more umph, why not put a set of 370 marine injectors in?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by sleds
If your wanting more umph, why not put a set of 370 marine injectors in?
In the spring I plan on putting in some 370's, laser dv's and probably be looking into upgrading to the 13" sbc FE, since my pretty new CON O, doesn't like the cut plate full forward with a trailer. Nitrous to help clear up the smoke and bring temps down along with put me back in seat farther. The nice thing about it for a 12v, is it can be a on and off hp, just push the button when you need that added pull.
tim.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:06 AM

I have been considering nitrous for a while now, what I would like to know is how hard on head gaskets is nitrous compared to water/meth. Im running the stock HG and head bolts in my 24valve with water/meth injection, if I were to leave the water/meth off and run a conservative dose of nitrous could I safely make more horse power without stressing the HG as much, or is the meth easier on the HG. BTW, the W/M is worth 51HP on my truck.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:47 AM

IMO you can run it conservatively and get a modest gain without any troubles. I would at minimum run a set of studs, and you should get a fire ring/o-ring job if you're going to pour the coals to it. Doug is talking from the standpoint of making 200+ hp on the squeeze which is a obvious no-no with a stock gasket. For guys wanting 30-50 hp, though, I think spending $1k+ on head mods isn't required.

Luke,

I use all Nitrous Express stuff on the system I put together, but you can really use any vendor's products. The big supply houses like Summit Racing or Jegs carry everything you need. Also, some of the diesel shops carry complete systems to install that are pre-setup for our trucks. I'd definitely give TS Performance a call if you're looking to do a full system.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by banshee
Doug is talking from the standpoint of making 200+ hp on the squeeze which is a obvious no-no with a stock gasket. For guys wanting 30-50 hp, though, I think spending $1k+ on head mods isn't required.

Not to take anything away from John but I tend to disagree here.... Nitrous dramatically increases the cylinder pressure hence the likelyhood of headgasket failure even when done in small doses. If you want to play be prepared to suffer the consequence. Most guys use their trucks everyday and to have a headgasket pop and be down and have to put the truck back together can be very expensive and time consuming.

Personally I feel that anyone running a 2nd gen motor should use studs when you reach 40 psi boost and at 50 psi they should o-ring the head. I know there are guys running higher boost and not having failures but there are also lots of guys who do have failures at these boost levels. Add nitrous into the mix and you are just asking for trouble. The 3rd gen trucks use the MLS headgasket that is much better at holding cylinder pressures especially when the head has been studded.

Its always less expensive to do it right than to do it "on the cheap".

Doug