Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Let There Be Light!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys have been talking about running too much current though the headlight switch and talk about adding these relays and harness . my question is what does the relay in the fuse box labeld headlight in the engine compartment do I thought this relay was to take all the current away from going though the headlight switch.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
headlight relay?????

my 98 does not have one !!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by haloman
Is this a good way to wire up the fog lights with a relay:
http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...h/foglites.htm

Instead of a switch can I run the hot wire from the factory harness to pin 85 and run pin 86 to battery ground?

Should I run two relays or just wire the two powers together and tape up the other factory power wire?

And use this relay here?

Radioshack Relay

Bump any help on this?

Thanks guys
Old 11-07-2007, 08:05 PM

Bump any help on this?

Thanks guys
yes that is how you would wire them up with a relay if you want a switch to turn them on. i wanted more of a factory type setup so i pulled the headlight switch and found the parking lights wire and wired my switch wire off of it so that anytime my paking lights are on(which is anytime the light switch is in any position) then my driving lights are on too. works great!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:26 PM

i need to upgrade the headlights on my truck. i have decided to go with direct replacement projector lights

will a heavy-duty headlight harness such as this work with projector lights?

the harness is for 9004 bulbs (in my application).
from what i have read on here, the projector setup (H1 bulb & 9005 bulb) comes with an adapter to plug into the factory 9004 location.
this being said, would the harness/relay work as it does not (i think) interfere with the projector wiring directly?

im all ears.

thanx
Old 11-07-2007, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSilver
i need to upgrade the headlights on my truck. i have decided to go with direct replacement projector lights

will a heavy-duty headlight harness such as this work with projector lights?

the harness is for 9004 bulbs (in my application).
from what i have read on here, the projector setup (H1 bulb & 9005 bulb) comes with an adapter to plug into the factory 9004 location.
this being said, would the harness/relay work as it does not (i think) interfere with the projector wiring directly?

im all ears.

thanx
i dont know if i would go the projector lights route. i have not personally used them but everyone that i have ever talked to theat did, did not like them.(this is just what i have been told, again no personal experience with them) i would try these flossers first. they will only cost you $15 plus shipping to see if you like them better or not. good luck
Old 11-07-2007, 11:35 PM

They are sold out on the first site...hard to find as well.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by motomac3
yes that is how you would wire them up with a relay if you want a switch to turn them on. i wanted more of a factory type setup so i pulled the headlight switch and found the parking lights wire and wired my switch wire off of it so that anytime my paking lights are on(which is anytime the light switch is in any position) then my driving lights are on too. works great!
Ok but if I used the factory fog light power wire then it would come on when the fogs normally would right? (pulling out on the headlight switch)
Old 11-08-2007, 07:09 PM

Ok but if I used the factory fog light power wire then it would come on when the fogs normally would right? (pulling out on the headlight switch)
im not sure, mine did not have fog lights....so i figured there would be no wire. i just used the parking light wire because i wanted them on anytime i pulled the headlight switch(any position)

i am thinking that the factory foglight wire was wired to a switch beside the headlight switch so you would have to use that switch for it to work. i could be wrong though. its happened before.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:50 PM

Is the wiring harness that summit, lmctrucks, and suvlighting the same harness essentially? Do the harnesses protect the already marginal headlight switch? Stuart
Old 11-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Chapter President

They are all going to made overseas. My LMC harness looks to be well made.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:05 PM

Its actually pretty good isnt it? - rated for 100 watts.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Chapter President

Hopefully it all works out. Everything goes in tommorow. Do you have any insight on the fog light relays Doctor?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:39 PM

I thought you already posted a pic for the fog light relay?

BTW, Im not sure if I mentioned this - I used 2 30 amp blade type fuses directly off the passenger side battery. Might consider a circuit breaker instead.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Chapter President

I was wondering if that diagram was the right way and if the power wire from the factory fog light was what I used to trigger the relay. I was thinking running that wire to trigger it so I didnt have run anything from inside the cab and active the fog lights like they are factory.

You used the fuses for the headlights or foglights? I notice the HD harness doesnt have fuses built-in. Do I need them or does a relay do that job?

Quick Reply: Let There Be Light!!!