Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Leaky injectors--can I still drive it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaky injectors--can I still drive it?

So I installed new (rebuilt) SDX injectors and 3 are leaking. 1 minor, 2 more (not dripping off the block but dripping out of the hole)

Can I drive like this? Am I just using fuel? Or losing power?
I'd rather NOT redo these right now, but if I have to….

I suspect the washers, then if not that, the injectors (since they are rebuilt)
problem is, I think SDX is no more…but first I need to check my install and I didn't torque the bolts either (pretty tight in there)
Old 07-17-2016, 09:16 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
If they are leaking past the o rings externally you're just wasting fuel, if they leak into the cylinders you can hydro lock the engine which usually entails bent connecting rods, in short big money. I'd get it fixed right before running it.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:27 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Even if they are just leaking externally, it is a good idea to fix that right now before driving- fuel plus hot exhaust....
Old 07-18-2016, 08:28 AM

Thanks, will do. Even though I am disappointed that I didn't get it right the first time, I'm glad I did it and what a difference it is making. I just hope it's me, not the rebuilt injectors. Have to say I was NOT impressed on the poor quality of the core they used...
I hope I can get a new set of washers and o rings right away...so I can be grinning down the road. Can't wait to see how it pulls a trailer and hopefully my egts stay cool enough
Old 07-18-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Nice work gettin grimy on your own junk! Tell us how she does, I'm thinkin 4.10's and a 5 speed should be good...
Old 07-23-2016, 10:12 AM

Carbon deposits

Ok, so I got back in to check out the leaky injectors. For certain, I didn't tighten them down enough. Out comes the torque wrench plus a little...
I'm pulling all the ones that were leaking or even had a hint of seepage, thank goodness #6 is dry!
I will in stall all new Copper washers since I'm in there. Thinking about reusing the brand new copper washers on the banjo bolts...probably stupid but it would be nice to have new backups...
I NOTICE ALL THE INJECTORS I PULLED HAVE SOME CARBON DEPOSIT on the tips. These injectors have less than 2 miles on them and the truck runs beautifully. Is this normal to have carbon on the tips? Also, I don't plan to clean them since it will obviously just happen again.
I HATE cleaning the fuel filter and it wasn't that long ago. I hope I don't have to do it again...f
Old 07-30-2016, 08:38 AM

Carbon deposits on injector tips normal?

[QUOTE=barngal6;3308446]Ok, so I got back in to check out the leaky injectors. For certain, I didn't tighten them down enough. Out comes the torque wrench plus a little...
I'm pulling all the ones that were leaking or even had a hint of seepage, thank goodness #6 is dry!
I will in stall all new Copper washers since I'm in there and installed new washers on the banjo bolts , only want to do this

I NOTICE ALL THE INJECTORS I PULLED HAVE SOME CARBON DEPOSIT on the tips. These injectors have less than 2 miles on them and the truck runs beautifully. Is this normal to have carbon on the tips? Also, I don't plan to clean them since it will obviously just happen again.
Cleaned the fuel filter and I'm ready to tune the ppump.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:40 AM

Duplicate

My new injectors have carbon deposits on them is this normal?
Old 07-30-2016, 08:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I've never seen clean injector tips, as long as there is no smoke at idle I wouldn't worry too much about it.

A picture would be helpful though.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:12 AM

Thanks. Unfortunately I reinstalled anyways, since I was anxious to get going. Figured if I had to do something different I would. So no pics. But they looked sooty, not shiny hard deposits.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:40 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Sooty nozzles are normal.

Scrub the bores/threads with some diesel and a bottle brush.

Crank the hold down nuts to 45-50 lb ft after a bit of anti seize on the outsides.

Hand tighten all feed line nuts - make sure the flare on the lines sit on top of the bodies before you tighten the nuts down.

Reinstall return lines/banjo bolts (1/8 turn past snug is plenty, they crack easy).

Crank engine - when you see a bit of fuel coming out of each feed line nut, switch the engine off & tighten the feed line nuts down.

Ready.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:19 PM

Everything is together and no leaks! Since I had changed the fuel filter I pumped it by hand and it started no problem.
Best part is, by "detuning" it, I have NO smoke!