Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

KYB monomax or Bilstein Shock prices/places to buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KYB monomax or Bilstein Shock prices/places to buy

Ok,

After lots of research (mostly on this board!) I have narrowed it down to these 2 brands for shocks. Where can I buy on the internet or in Austin Tx these brands of shocks?

Now I am wanting a 2" front lift or spacers. I need to stay off this board.....it gets me in trouble with the wife!!!
Old 01-24-2004, 11:53 AM

Cheapest places I've found on the web for Bilstein's & KYB Monomax's.

http://www.genxmuscle.com
http://www.auto-parts-wholesale.com
Old 01-24-2004, 04:51 PM
Banned

I have run Rancho 5000's, Bilstien OEM, and Bilstien 5150's but never KYB on the Dodge. I have run them in the past of other veichles, they seemed to be great. The choice is yours, but here are a few more places to check for pricing.
www.eshock.com and www.4wheelparts.com
www.desertrat.com
Old 01-24-2004, 05:49 PM

I have the KYB's on my '99 and they are great. you can try Advance Auto.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:33 PM

Got KYB's on my dually. Seem to do a decent job.......for a dually!
Old 01-25-2004, 04:36 AM

Thanks for the responses.....I am having a hard time deciding which to go with...........another question though....I am now wanting to get some lift in my front, My Ranchhand bumper has it sagging just a bit and was looking at the 2" spacers....from reading on this forum.....do I have to get a different size shock from what the truck normally takes?

Thanks for your input!
Old 01-25-2004, 09:16 AM

On a 2 inch lift? Not really necessary -- I use the same shocks before and after. Anything taller -- yes.

Wouldn't go with spacers, btw. For about the same price you can get two-and-a-half inch taller springs from Nat'l Tire & Wheel or some other places -- mostly made by Skyjacker. Better than stock, better than spacers, JMO. I'm sure others will disagree.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:18 PM

Tartarus-thanks for the info. I have been undecided on the spacers also.

So if I went with the 2 1/2" springs you think I would not have to change shock length.

Are Skyjacker springs decent are is there another brand that I should look into. I am very unfamiliar with suspension systems.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:49 PM

Fishbait,
If you go with Skjacker D25 coils, I would get shocks with a longer travel. A lot of folks here are running that setup.
If you go with the spacers, I do not believe you need to get longer shocks.

Just my .02c
Old 01-26-2004, 01:50 PM

The KYB's will not work propperly with a lifted truck. The shocks will not allow the axle to drop to full extension. I do not know about the others.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:14 PM

Beg to differ. I have KYB Monomax's, quads in the front, two in the back, with a 2 inch lift from Skyjacker D25's (National Tire & Wheel) up front, and a two-and-a-half inch lift from Airlifts in the rear. The KYB's work fine, even in the hard off-road conditions I expose them to. The applications for the Dodge Ram have an extra inch extension built into them.

If you're worried about it, however, KYB has a fine tool you can download to match up shock dimensions with applications -- I used it to fit my secondary front shocks, which turned out to be from the rear of a Ford Expedition.

I've had zero problems with the D25's from Skyjacker. You'll need to do a few minor tricks to get them installed, but nothing serious. The procedure has been outlined in detail on this forum before. The D25's tend to settle a half-inch after a month or so.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my Bilsteins from Rickson Truck Assessories. http://www.ricksontruck.com/

The first set that they shipped me were the right box with the wrong part inside (factory misbox, not their fault) but they sent out a call tag for the wrong parts and put the right ones on next-day-air to me on their dime. Couldn't ask for better service.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:47 PM

I got my Bilsteins at www.shox.com. They had the best price I could find in November when I out mine on. BTW, the Bilsteins are a great shock. My Dodge rides better than the Chevy gasser I rode in last week.
Bruce
Old 01-27-2004, 06:46 AM

I purchased my Bilsteins at Off Road Warehouse ( www.offroadwarehouse.com )
Old 01-27-2004, 07:07 AM

After a year, the Bilstiens I got from Rickson are gone. They have gone soft. I think I need more of an adjustanble shock. 15K on the rear, towing, really makes a difference.

..Preston..

Quick Reply: KYB monomax or Bilstein Shock prices/places to buy