Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Injectors vs boxes

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors vs boxes

For those who want to aim for less than 500 hp would good quality injectors produce more cool power than smaller sticks and a fueling box? Is widening the pusle width going to add power less effieciently than adding fuel through bigger sticks?

Picking examples from the crowd,... how about Big Blue's truck when it was at 400 hp (ac off) with comp and 100 hp injectors vs Bob Wagners setup with catcher and mach 4's. If the turbos performed the same who's truck would be cooler? I'm thinking Bob's would be. Not trying to single you two out- just using your trucks as examples =P
Old 11-07-2006, 01:07 PM

I know your talking about WOT temps, but Bob's truck is stuck at the power level. BB can reduce his trucks power to right around 300hp.

This is just a guess but isnt 400hp going to require the same amount of fuel not matter what (assuming identical chargers and pumps)??

But if a F1 injector, say a mach 2 (105hp) can produce that power at what a cheaper Jammer Nozzle stg IV (125hp) will produce at a higher temp then I definatly agree with what you are saying. Because I dont think Jammers run as powerful and as cool as some others out there.

And just for conversation, I would bet bobs 400hp is easier on the pump since there is no wire tap. But thats back to 400hp should require a certain amount of fuel so the pump should be working just as hard on both trucks.

Jamie
Old 11-07-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by natlchamp2k4
And just for conversation, I would bet bobs 400hp is easier on the pump since there is no wire tap. But thats back to 400hp should require a certain amount of fuel so the pump should be working just as hard on both trucks.

Jamie
400hp worth of fuel will be the same...but the manner in which the pump works to GET that fuel is the difference!

Also, now that we have the Smarty, the power is adjustable with only injectors...granted, not on the fly, but it's still adjustable!

Of course I'm a 12v guy...right now I have 2 power settings, valet and full fuel, with another in the works at a later date (nitrous on/nitrous off)

Chris
Old 11-07-2006, 05:04 PM

I think this is why you have always ran cooler then me. My injection pulse is just to long. I've thought of adding some mach 4 and leaving the TST turned down. Even at the lower settings I could make just as much power as I am now with lower EGT's. JMO

Randy
Old 11-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Banned

400hp? Dude, that was so yesterday. I know that with the BD155's, TST/Smarty, and 40psi out of a KSB-1, I can peg 1500* fast enough and long enough to make the water temp start rising.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:30 PM

IMO, A 400hp truck with injectors and smarty or ez will run cooler at WOT, than a truck with smaller injectors and a wire pump box.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:34 PM

I know your talking about WOT temps, but Bob's truck is stuck at the power level. BB can reduce his trucks power to right around 300hp.
Only if Bob's foot were stuck to the floor =P
I couldn't tell ya. I've been told that big sticks are easier on the vp somehow, but I'm not sure if thats true.
Originally Posted by signature600
400hp worth of fuel will be the same...but the manner in which the pump works to GET that fuel is the difference!
Yes that is the heart of the question right there.
Originally Posted by Charlie8301
I think this is why you have always ran cooler then me. My injection pulse is just to long. I've thought of adding some mach 4 and leaving the TST turned down. Even at the lower settings I could make just as much power as I am now with lower EGT's. JMO
I was thinking of pming ya to ask what your max egts were on the 64 when you tried it since we were within around 20 hp.
Originally Posted by BigBlue
400hp? Dude, that was so yesterday.
Like how I gave ya 2 hp for turning the a/c off
Originally Posted by sleds
IMO, A 400hp truck with injectors and smarty or ez will run cooler at WOT, than a truck with smaller injectors and a wire pump box.
Thank you
Old 11-07-2006, 10:44 PM

so basically y'all are saying that bigger injectors and a non wire tap box would/could produce the same power with lower EGT'S? is that right?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:03 PM

Thats what I'm thinking, but I'm hoping to learn form those who have more knowledge and experience than I

The thing that always comes up is adjustability, but from my experience the right foot can contol power easily enough. An adjustable box might be just the thing for someone who's going to let other people drive their truck though.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll put my two cents in. From my experience the box makes thing hotter than just injetors. I run a TST box and have been told that it runs hotter than and edge. So now my story. If I run rv275's, smarty 9, and TST 9. I hit about 1400*. If I run my BIG injectors 230RWHP, but I only see 180RWHP (stupid HO pump) and smarty, NO TST I only see about 1200*. I'm not sure what the first combo dynos at but I know it isn't 400. The second one I know dynos at 430RWHP. If I turn the TST on in the 2nd combo I dont know what the temps are cuz I only have a 1600* pyro.
JJ
Old 11-08-2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
I was thinking of pming ya to ask what your max egts were on the 64 when you tried it since we were within around 20 hp.
With the 64 It was a little bit slower to riser but I could still peg a 1500* guage.

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
An adjustable box might be just the thing for someone who's going to let other people drive their truck though
ie. my wife in the winter

Randy