Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

If Ya Got A Tranny Temp Guage, Please Assist Me.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 05:52 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Now I'm confused too.
That's the part number that I recall using when I went to the dealer to pick up my line with the port in it.
And it was ~$100.00.

This is a picture from Phox's gallery showing the sensor port location in the Dodge replacement line.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, answer me this people. would not the T fitting be just as good/accurate as that new line would be? why or why not?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:46 PM

I've got this used BD X-Monitor that I'm considering buying.
The instructions on pages 8 & 9 (plus see the Note for 1999 model year on page 10) are showing that I don't even need to install a sensor; just tap into the Temperature Monitor Wire at the PCM connector.

Can it be that easy?

Where is the PCM connector? Is that the one on the passenger-side firewall, where I connected my ATS Lockup Commander (a year ago!) ?
Old 09-22-2006, 05:52 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridiculous
ok, answer me this people. would not the T fitting be just as good/accurate as that new line would be? why or why not?
Some folks don't trust the compression fittings.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Many people, myself included, don't like introducing another potential leak source into the system.
If the tee fitting were to blow off or something snag the line and pull it apart it would be under two minutes before the tranny was toast.

I use compression fittings all the time plumbing natural gas and water and trust them totally, but only for less critical applications in a motor vehicle like a boost gauge. There is just too much vibration, especially in diesel.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Many people, myself included, don't like introducing another potential leak source into the system.
If the tee fitting were to blow off or something snag the line and pull it apart it would be under two minutes before the tranny was toast.

I use compression fittings all the time plumbing natural gas and water and trust them totally, but only for less critical applications in a motor vehicle like a boost gauge. There is just too much vibration, especially in diesel.
well too late, already done
Old 01-25-2008, 11:58 PM

let me start off by saying that, i got my 3 guage kit from diesel manor this evening, and i am very happy with the kit, although, i kinda feel as though i was a little wrongly informed, i was told that the kit came with everything needed to install it. and from what i can tell is, that is not the case. from my understanding, in order to install the tranny temp sending unit you either have to: braze it into the pan, have something like a mag-hytec pan so it's thick enough to tap it, or buy the manifold seperately from them. am i getting this right? if so, i'm kinda disappointed b/c, i don't know how to braze, don't have a hytec pan, and i don't have enough money to get that manifold. so is there any other way of doing this, or will i just have wait to get that manifold and/or a new pan? orrrr, maybe i might be able to ask around and see if anyone can braze it for me?

tell me what ya know, thanks.
I completely agree with you!!!
I also bought a "complete" gauge kit from DiPricol.
....same thing here.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:11 AM

I just went to DieselManors website because I am too shopping for guages, and if you read the description, they put an asteric after "complete". If you scroll down, they explain that extra parts may be needed for trans and FP guages install.. Don't know how recently the asteric was put there, but seems pretty honest to me
Old 01-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the part number you need from McMaster-Carr 5272K163
here is the link, http://www.mcmaster.com/
You splice it into the hot line on the LEFT of the heat exchanger.
Or you can go to your local Hydraulic fitting place and get the fitting, it's 1/2"x1/2" compression branch tee x 3/8" female NPT or 1/4"female NPT depending on the size of your temp fitting.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
Here is the part number you need from McMaster-Carr 5272K163
here is the link, http://www.mcmaster.com/
You splice it into the hot line on the LEFT of the heat exchanger.
Or you can go to your local Hydraulic fitting place and get the fitting, it's 1/2"x1/2" compression branch tee x 3/8" female NPT or 1/4"female NPT depending on the size of your temp fitting.

Genos garage sells a transmission temp adaptor that splices into the line by vulcan for $10.00 www.genosgarage.com ED
Old 01-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl
Genos garage sells a transmission temp adaptor that splices into the line by vulcan for $10.00 www.genosgarage.com ED
Only problem i see with that fitting is that it is installed after the heat exchanger, installing it before the exchanger you will see a better reading of how hot the trans really is.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:05 AM

I did mine like the pics above. I have a buddy that said that the later 12 valves had a trans temp switch or sender. Because this was the case he bought the factory trans cooler line for the 12 valve because it already had the port for the switch or sender whichever is the case. Is anyone else familiar with this?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned

The only thing with that is that is the "cold" line. The hot line is the one toward the front of the truck.

Originally Posted by red_rattler
That's what i did with mine and it's been like that for 110,000 miles with no leaks. It is the easiest to do, no drilling holes or welding nuts on. You will have to cut the correct line.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:57 PM

Tran Temp Send Inst.

I followed your guys instructions and installed the T fitting. The only difference between when you guys posted and I bought was the price. Who would have though brass fittings went up in price. I paid about 30$ for a T, 2 bushings, and 2 compression fittings. Test tun says everything works good but my trip down the I-5 through the mountains and Grape Vine will be the final test.

Thanks for the good discussion guys, helped out a lot.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
In the meantime Napa now carries the previously dealer only line with with port for $42.
Makes the decision whether to cut or replace the line even harder/easier.

Quick Reply: If Ya Got A Tranny Temp Guage, Please Assist Me.