Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   If Ya Got A Tranny Temp Guage, Please Assist Me. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/if-ya-got-tranny-temp-guage-please-assist-me-116888/)

Ridiculous 09-18-2006 06:01 PM

If Ya Got A Tranny Temp Guage, Please Assist Me.

let me start off by saying that, i got my 3 guage kit from diesel manor this evening, and i am very happy with the kit, although, i kinda feel as though i was a little wrongly informed, i was told that the kit came with everything needed to install it. and from what i can tell is, that is not the case. from my understanding, in order to install the tranny temp sending unit you either have to: braze it into the pan, have something like a mag-hytec pan so it's thick enough to tap it, or buy the manifold seperately from them. am i getting this right? if so, i'm kinda disappointed b/c, i don't know how to braze, don't have a hytec pan, and i don't have enough money to get that manifold. so is there any other way of doing this, or will i just have wait to get that manifold and/or a new pan? orrrr, maybe i might be able to ask around and see if anyone can braze it for me?

tell me what ya know, thanks.

Shovelhead 09-18-2006 06:12 PM

Check RattlinRam's gallery to see his setup.
Low-Buck, parts available at most any auto parts store, and has survived for many, many miles.

....Found the picture:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...TEMPSENSOR.jpg

timk006 09-18-2006 06:13 PM

They sell a fitting that goes in your pan. About ten bucks. Drill a hole and bolt it in. Here is where I got mine.

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BM-80250

TimK

Ridiculous 09-18-2006 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead (Post 1133364)
Check RattlinRam's gallery to see his setup.
Low-Buck, parts available at most any auto parts store, and has survived for many, many miles.

....Found the picture:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...TEMPSENSOR.jpg

i remember seeing that pic in another thread, and i was hoping that it'd turn up in this one too, thanks for the pic, i hope he joins in to tell me about that setup. does his year have the same setup an mine?

Ridiculous 09-18-2006 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by timk006 (Post 1133366)
They sell a fitting that goes in your pan. About ten bucks. Drill a hole and bolt it in. Here is where I got mine.

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BM-80250

TimK

hmmm, that is very intriguing, i like that idea. you said that you have it on yours, are you using the isspro tranny guage too? just wanna make sure the threads will fit if so.

but i'll still keep my options open.

Ridiculous 09-18-2006 06:24 PM

for you guys that've dealt with diesel manor, if i called them and told them my story do ya think they'll send me what i need for free[dummy]

Shovelhead 09-18-2006 06:53 PM

The BEST way (in my opinion) is the '95 (I think) "Hot" side transmission line that had a fitting for a temp sensor already incorporated. Part number 5011244-AA
The line is ~$100 from the dealer or from an aftermarket source.
That's the way mine is installed.

wrglrroper 09-18-2006 07:41 PM

I dont know what you have but the tranny temp sensor that I recieved with my edge bolted right into my tranny on the right side near the front. There was a plug there, Take it out and walla. If you look on edges website they have thier instructions. Take a look.

timk006 09-18-2006 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ridiculous (Post 1133378)
hmmm, that is very intriguing, i like that idea. you said that you have it on yours, are you using the isspro tranny guage too? just wanna make sure the threads will fit if so.

but i'll still keep my options open.

Yes I have isspro guages, and yes the plug did fit. I think it was quarter inch pipe, or maby eighth inch pipe threads. My guages came with a bunch of different fittings though.

Ridiculous 09-18-2006 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead (Post 1133428)
The BEST way (in my opinion) is the '95 (I think) "Hot" side transmission line that had a fitting for a temp sensor already incorporated. Part number 5011244-AA

good idea but i don't have the money, only $15 dollars on credit card and a college student, i'm litterally broke

Originally Posted by wrglrroper (Post 1133518)
I dont know what you have but the tranny temp sensor that I recieved with my edge bolted right into my tranny on the right side near the front. There was a plug there, Take it out and walla. If you look on edges website they have thier instructions. Take a look.

check my sig. i don't beleive i have a plug but i will check out that site, thanx.

Originally Posted by timk006 (Post 1133520)
Yes I have isspro guages, and yes the plug did fit. I think it was quarter inch pipe, or maby eighth inch pipe threads. My guages came with a bunch of different fittings though.

OK, AND HERE'S THE BIG QUESTION...
you said that your guage came with a bunch of diff. fittings, and yes this is true, and i got a brainstorm of something to do with those, tell me if it'll work...
i take one of those and treat it like a drain plug, go find a nut, some plastic washers, drill a hole and bolt it on, do ya think it'll work? please let me know, i'm gonna try and get these on tomorrow so let me know.

whiteVLX 09-18-2006 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead (Post 1133428)

I use the very same part, but I got rid of the rubber hose at the cooler end and replaced it with stainless steel braided hose. I suppose you could use braided hose all the way and just add a tee for the sending unit.

Originally Posted by wrglrroper (Post 1133518)

You could use the pressure test ports but the transmission temp reported is totally inaccurate. I had mine in the pressure test port to begin with and I could do all sorts of heavy hauling, stop and go, and the forward reverse shuffle in the back yard to get my camper parked and never see over 180. Stopped at a light in gear for just a couple of minutes and I might see 2-3 degrees difference.

With the temp sender in the trans outlet to the cooler I can see as much as a 40 degree gain in trans temp parked at the light. And the same foward/reverse shuffle that I mentioned earlier, well I can easily hit 230 in just a few minutes.

dieselfan 09-18-2006 09:30 PM

check my sig. i don't beleive i have a plug but i will check out that site, thanx.

you do have a plug, it s test port #2. it s on the passenger side, it s 1/4" so youll need 1/8"male x1/4"female and 1/4" male x 1/8" female brass fittings. if you dont have them already. this all came with my Quadzilla kit.

hope this helps dieselfan

dieselfan 09-18-2006 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by whiteVLX (Post 1133692)
I use the very same part, but I got rid of the rubber hose at the cooler end and replaced it with stainless steel braided hose. I suppose you could use braided hose all the way and just add a tee for the sending unit.

You could use the pressure test ports but the transmission temp reported is totally inaccurate. I had mine in the pressure test port to begin with and I could do all sorts of heavy hauling, stop and go, and the forward reverse shuffle in the back yard to get my camper parked and never see over 180. Stopped at a light in gear for just a couple of minutes and I might see 2-3 degrees difference.

With the temp sender in the trans outlet to the cooler I can see as much as a 40 degree gain in trans temp parked at the light. And the same foward/reverse shuffle that I mentioned earlier, well I can easily hit 230 in just a few minutes.

i have mine in the test port #2 and if i sit somewhere the temp will go up 20-30 degrees quick, with in 5 minutes. if i race around i can get it up to 180-190 degrees. is this accurate?

scottsjeeprolet 09-18-2006 09:55 PM

I did the same thing as RattlinRam did . got the fittings form McMaster Carr.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...9002Pic001.JPG
Here is the part #Mcmaster carr part # 5929K146 1/2"x3/8"x1/2"

J BODY 09-18-2006 10:01 PM

You obviously saved for the guages....now do yourself a favor and listed to Mr Shovelhead and get the line he mentioned. IMHO that is the BEST way and will give you a reading of the HOTTEST fluid. Having the probe in any of the test ports is just a way to make your gauge move. IF your happy with that go for it. Pan temp.....if you see your pan temp too high I shudder to think of what your output temp is, might as well run an "idiot light". Honestly in 99% of the cases if you start seeing "abnormal" trans temps the damage is usually done. I run the "hot line" temp and it will never show how purple my convertor was becoming when I took it our for the swap to the Goerend pieces. 96K and all the clutches and steels were "like new", but the convertor was UGLY!

On my old 95 gasser I ran the (hot line) temp and that poor little 46rh would see 280 degrees while pulling my race rig up some steep grades. I changed fluid on that one at least twice a year due to the ocasional "toasting" it would take. Granted the trans was "built" with some attention to abuse ( stock convertor though...) and it never gave me any probs.