Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How to install theromcoupler for pyrometer???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install theromcoupler for pyrometer???

What is the best way to install a pyrometer probe?? i've heard of guys taking off the manifold and doing it but that seems like alot of extra work to me. I have also heard if you leave the engine running it will blow the chips out?? i just don't want to ruin my turbo by letting chips into it. ANY SUGGESTIONS?? or past experiences
Old 01-05-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard a lot of things like putting grease on the bit and in the hole to "catch" little pieces, but figured that could just make them stick somewhere in there. I just drilled very slowly, kept cleaning the hole, and made sure that when I got right to the end I didn't let off the drill and drop stuff in, keep it going to pull up everything you can. I did this and looked in with a bore scope and saw hardly anything, not too mention the pieces don't really have anywhere to go except get blown out as soon as it starts, turbo won't be spinning very fast then either. I was later also recommended this method by a large performance diesel shop.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM

tapping pyro

When I did mine, I cleaned the chips out just before I broke through. Drilled all the way through, than used a magnetized screwdriver to fish out the rest of the chips. No big deal. Good luck.
Alan
Old 01-05-2009, 07:22 PM

Leave a shop vac running as you drill the hole, I've installed at least a dozen pyros in different trucks/cars, and never had an issue (ps, I never used a shop vac either!!)
Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 PM

Drill slow, grease the bit, wipe off, repeat. Shop vac was running next to the bit the whole time. I then greased the tap as well. Finished off by using a magnetic pen and then rigging up a small hose to the shop vac and vac'd up any remaining pieces. Take your time and go slow..
Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 PM

Drill the hole with the right size bit the first time. When you are about to break through, start the truck. Finish drilling, and then tap it. Easier and faster than any other way. Make sure you are wearing safety glasses in case the chips fly, and a set of gloves isn't a bad idea for tapping.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 PM

not trying to hijack or anything but I had a shop put in my gauges and they put my pyro post turbo and I have been wanting to move it pre turbo and was wondering what size of hole I need to drill and what size tap to run? On the manifold it is two separate sides right? Which side is best to put it in? 1-3 or 4-6?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:18 PM

#6 typically runs hotter on the 24v's.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:48 PM

As recommended by many on this site and others 5/8" behind the center line of the manifold to catch the heat from the rear 3 cylinders and to miss the metal separation from the front 3 on the manifold.

Easy, pilot hole, drill to size, shop vac to pickup shavings, magnet to catch anything (if any) in the manifold. Tap with a good tap well greased and don't tap all the way through. Start engine before installing probe only running for a few seconds. Screw in probe with some high temp sealer, connect sender line to guage and enjoy a beverage
Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On start up, the turbo is not spinning for a half second and any of the small debris from the drill/tap that you might not get just blow by. As Tate said, just drill through with the correct drill size once as its pretty soft material anyway. I uses anti-siezure compound on the tap to catch the chips.. Grease or the like just melt from the heat, anti-sieze (nickel) generally does not.

Don't get all up tight TST or PDR or PEAK Diesel all have directions with diagrams for drilling the hole on their websites.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 AM

the manifold is really soft. start with a smaller drill bit and work up to the final size. i used one of those snake magnets and was able to reach really deep down to the turbo and got virtually all of the shavings out.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:45 AM

thanks guys appreciate all of your help i will be ordering the quad recon gauge and i was wondering if i would be able to hook it up myself and it sounds like i will thanks again
Old 01-06-2009, 07:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
loosen all the bolts attaching the turbo to the manifold insert a piece of cardboard in between the manifold and the turbo, drill and use all the advice from above for a happy ending.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:31 AM

I just left the truck running and put a little grease on the drill bit, all the shavings either stuck to the grease or shot right back up out of the hole (yes, wear safety glasses!). Same thing for tapping the hole, worked great!

I would be leery of any method that involves blowing the shavings through the turbo, whether it's spinning or not. I'm sure it's worked fine for people in the past, but if there's other, safer, methods available why even bother?

Quick Reply: How to install theromcoupler for pyrometer???