Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Homemade Propane

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Homemade Propane

that would be a sweet setup to hook into your radiator to warm it up. I have heard of people blowing the heads and blowing the motor apart. A dude up here has said something about someone just shredding the motor apart. I dont know if he didnt know what he was doing but it just makes sense to use propane.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:09 AM

Okie,<br>Are you saying that you might have a &quot;kit&quot; available?? I would consider something someone else built if it is not too much $$$. Let us know! We could all use one I believe.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote author=CMN_NOT_STROKN link=board=7;threadid=5555;start=15#48635 date=1033747795]
Okie,
Are you saying that you might have a &quot;kit&quot; available?? I would consider something someone else built if it is not too much $$$. Let us know! We could all use one I believe.
[/quote]

Possibly,.....I will tell you this. I WONT put it out for sale until extensive testing has been done on at least an auto tranny 12v a manual 12v and so on with the 24v along with a HO version. I will also try dyno'ing at least my rig with the propane. As most know, the 24v have has higher compression than a 12v. And, since the propane will raise compression ratios quite a bit, a guy has to be careful about how much is used. The 12v's are alot easier to get around as far as compression ratios are concerned. Manually bump the timing down and run the lp to a certain extent. IMO, an O-Ringed head is needed before even thinking about running it. Some do it and get away with it just fine. But, do you wanna take that chance? Like many have said, propane really wakes up this motor, BUT a little bit goes a long way. Common sense plays a key role in running a propane system. Alot of guys think, well if it works good at this setting, it will work REAL good if I turn it up a notch or two. Thats where you get into trouble.

There are some cheaper made systems that you can fabricate. Some have used a psi regulator off of an oxygen bottle with good results. But, the safety level isnt as good as it COULD be.

I will keep yall informed. But, as of right now, Freightliner, college, and entry fees take up most of my time and money.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:16 PM

Okie,<br>I would offer my truck for a testbed. It is a 99 24v 5 speed. I agree that it needs to be added safely since there is high compression. If you need any help with testing let me know. ;D
Old 10-04-2002, 01:25 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

[quote author=Jack Thorpe link=board=7;threadid=5555;start=0#48557 date=1033739891]<br>I personally don't like the idea of messing with a &quot;hacked&quot; EZ. Those guys have put a lot of time in making their product right, and I don't see any reason for messing with it but that's jut my opinion.<br><br>Jack<br>[/quote]<br>Hey Jack, <br>Have ya' checked your sig lately. <br>Dodge &amp; Cummins put a lot of time in making their product too.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:57 PM

I just called a diesel performance shop in town and inquired about a comp and they said they only use one from Applied Technologies. Has anybody heard of this. He is VERY well known here and our work trucks have been worked on by him. Our trucks at work are undervalved but run incredible ;D<br>He quoted me 330/660 at the rear tires. Would I be better off just getting a comp and installing it myself? I am mechanically inclined and don't want to get ripped off. Guages just got here...gonna throw them in and see what bertha has to say for herself.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:12 PM

do not kid yourself. you will not be happy with just an EZ, and a set of 275's. if i were going to hot-shot, I would get a comp, a set of dd2's, and a Piers turbo. that should be plenty to get you up and down the road. if you upgrade at all and tow, your going to have to be willing to do an upgrade your tranny. rather it is a manuel or an auto, be ready. :'(<br><br>Andrew