Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Homemade Propane

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homemade Propane

I have done some extensive searching on the subject but the only setups that are mentioned don't really give much of a list of parts needed/installation tips. I would really like to do this as I am looking into putting this truck to work with a hotshot trucking company. The truck is stock except for straight pipe and BHAF. Am also looking into an EZ. I would also like to know if there are any tank manufacturers that sell tanks that aren't $$$$. Thanks for all that reply.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:19 AM

Re:Homemade Propane

Dont take the chance, if you want more power buy the EZ.<br>Propane is not necessary until you hit about 550-600hp on #2 Diesel with a Cummins Engine.<br>If you want more power beyond the EZ, look into some 275 RV injectors from Bosch (they run about $300).<br><br>Also with the added power, I advise a good aftermarket Clutch or Torque Converter.<br>(www.southbendclutch.com or www.atsdiesel.com)<br><br>--Justin
Old 10-04-2002, 08:49 AM

I have to disagree propane on a stock truck with no mods is unreal power if you know what you are doing. I have a buddy with a cummins and a bone stock engine with propane only and he runs some pretty inpressive numbers!
Old 10-04-2002, 08:56 AM

Well I was hoping to be able to increase the mileage since I am considering hotshotting the truck. I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on performance items. I am looking into an EZ or maybe a Raptor. Any difference (REAL difference)? I know it is a reworked EZ but other than that all the hard evidence that I can find on it is from the manufacturer. I don't necessarily believe them. If their numbers are accurate than that would be the way to go. Thanks for the reply, and keep the info flowing!
Old 10-04-2002, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally don't like the idea of messing with a &quot;hacked&quot; EZ. Those guys have put a lot of time in making their product right, and I don't see any reason for messing with it but that's jut my opinion.<br><br>Jack
Old 10-04-2002, 09:06 AM

Yeah Jack I know what you mean. If the numbers were true and the lifetime warranty it seems like it would be a great item. I just don't know if I believe it or not. If they do get those numbers, why doesn't edge do the same thing? Makes you wonder if it is true. As they say...if it is too good to be true...
Old 10-04-2002, 09:15 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Well I'd go for the Edge Pulse at least- still better the comp. It gives you just the choice you'll want. If you don't go for the pump wire they offer the same power as the EZ. ( I had the thought of leaving my pump wire off for ehmmm 10 minutes... )<br><br>I'd suggest that if you want to use your truck to spend the first $$ on some gauges. EGT can save you some engine meltdown, fuel pressure some serious shopping for a VP44<br><br>Then go for power- <br><br><br>Be safe!<br><br>AlpineRAM<br>
Old 10-04-2002, 09:59 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=Gonzo link=board=7;threadid=5555;start=0#48570 date=1033741567]
Homemade propane set-ups are fairly simple. You will need a 20lb BBQ tank for the fuel(mount upright), a J type pressure regulator, a lock valve to put on the tank for arming purposes and a way to diseminate the spray into the air filter. Take a look into our search feature and see what you can come up with. Maximum safe spray is around 20-25psi, this has to matched with boost. Arm the lock valve at 4psi of boost and allow 4psi of propane to be dumped, you need to match pound for pound from that point on up to 25psi max. Propane when used wisely is very safe and very clean burning, you effectively burn more fuel and get a cleaner burn and longer oil and filter life. DON'T FEAR THE GRAY SMOKE!!
[/quote]

Why use a BBQ [tank] when you can use a George Foreman Grill? You can get different colors of smoke depending on what you are cooking/burning.

I would suggest an adjustable box that someone took the time to do the R&amp;D on...not something that was hacked or copied. Its amazing the amount of time and $ that goes into a product that is started from scratch. Edge and TST are good. I think Blue Chip has a good product out there too. Diesel Dynamics has a rebadged line of Edge products with their own refinements that they worked with Edge to develop as opposed to hacking [good ethics].

CMN_NOT_STRKN...

For a good hot shot combination I would look at an adjustable fueling box with a set of RV injectors, Pyro, boost and fuel pressure gauges and a Southbend clutch along with what you have. I'd also strongly consider an exhaust brake. The climates you travel in can have an impact on how propane works too. I know when its winter time, the propane set-ups need more attention. Just a heads up if it applies to where you drive.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:32 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=Gonzo link=board=7;threadid=5555;start=0#48599 date=1033744281]<br>[quote author=Scotty link=board=7;threadid=5555;start=0#48590 date=1033743562]<br> The climates you travel in can have an impact on how propane works too. I know when its winter time, the propane set-ups need more attention. Just a heads up if it applies to where you drive.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Good point Scotty, If the tank freezes it is not pretty at all.<br>How ya been Penguin Pumper ;D :P Rod still have a couple of sheep stuck to his Velcro seats. <br>[/quote]<br><br>PP is fine.<br>I think the sheep like their new den.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:47 AM

Is it dangerous to have propane assist in freezing cold weather. Im thinking alaska. I was considering it and maybe I should look otherwise. I dont want to blow up the dodge.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The safest type of tank to use is a forklift liquid type tank. The &quot;J&quot; that gonzo mentioned has a liquid/vapor convertor, so all you have to do is hook one of your antifreeze lines to the J to vaporize the liquid. Liquid tanks are more stable under certain temperatures. You will find that a vapor type tank can loose substantial pressures in certain climates. I have a full schematic of a system I have made. This system has been thought through to the very last part and has many safety features, but, im not blabbing off just yet on the parts I used.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:58 AM

I have already ordered the guages and am waiting on the UPS man to get here. I am leaning towards EZ or comp and a set of injectors as well as the propane. I have done alot of searching on here as well as other sites and have decided that a liquid propane setup would be best. I don't know if an e-brake is really necessary. The company that I am looking into specializes in RV and horse trailers. I will be going all over the country and in the winter it could be a problem for a vapor setup. I have heard that if you go with a liquid setup you don't have to worry about it. Is this true? Thanks for the suggestions.

Quick Reply: Homemade Propane