Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

GSK experts chime in please

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSK experts chime in please

OK, got the 3 GSK kit installed on saturday morning, ended up taking longer simply due to not really knowing what i was looking at.

I Installed it as described and just have a couple questions for those who have been through it.

1. My idle with the truck in park is about 1000 rpm, drastically better than the idle right after install, was up to 2500. Im assuming that I continur to loosen the spring retainers to get it down, problem is both manuals i have refer to the high idle as factory set, or somthing like that but do not give an rpm. so where should it be?

2. Once I have the high idle set, I assume i can dial in the low idle. currently when i put the truck in drive, drops to about 450-600 rpm. I know i need it lower, but without having the high idle set, its impossible to get it dialed in.
This is more a correct or incorrect answer im looking for on this.

3. I definately like the sensativity of the new springs, also i noticed this morning that at about 80 mph, I run a good 3-400 rpms lower that before, also at this speed where i could previously feel the engine labor, i can now tell i have alot of room to go. The problem seems that right around 45-55 where i would previously lock up it doesnt happen anymore. the trans seems to lock fully just before 60 and will go between lock and unlock at just under that speed. I thought that the trans should remain locked until you hit the break pedal. Either way, what would the spring kit iinstall have to do with at what speed the converter locks, and what can i do to adjust it back to where it was.

4. My pyro seemed to crap out this weekend as well, it will be replaced, but in the meantime, should i be concerned about temps now that i will be using higher rpms than before.

thanks in advace, im liking what i have seen from the gsk already.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 AM

sombody has to know this...........
Old 11-05-2007, 10:53 AM

If you were getting hot with your setup and a stock governor spring, yes you should be concerned. If you were pretty cool stock then I wouldnt be too worried, but i also wouldn't run wide open all the time.

Travis
Old 11-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im no expert, but I did install mine and had a high idle after the install of about 1100rpms. I backed off each retainer nut a 1/2 turn and it was perfect at 750rpm idle ( I have a manual trans). I know auto's hold different rpms in drive and park and nuetral, so I think u should set ur park idle to like 750-800, that way idle in drive wont drop to low. I've heard of the different lockup point after a gsk install, and i'm pretty sure u can adjust the shift point from the cable that runs from the throttle linkage to the trans. Might do a search for TPS (throttle position sensor) and GSK "TPS GSK", and see what comes up. hope this helps alittle
Old 11-05-2007, 11:31 AM

thanks. any ideas on the tc lockup and high idle?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read my above post, and if ur Idle was fine before the install, then u shouldn't need to adjust the idle speed other than adjusting the retainer nuts on the gsk... So back them both off about 1/2 turn to start, and see where it idles.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 PM

The auto should idle at 800 in gear with air on. I personally like mine a little lower.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:54 PM

You should not have to adjust nor should you adjust the "high" idle.

The low idle should be set at 750 - 820 rpm's at idle. 450 - 600 is too low. If you adjust the low idle screw to bring the rpm's up to to 800 range then it will also move the throttle linkage forward which in turn will increase the starting voltage of the TPS. Starting at a higher voltage on the TPS will keep the TC locked. Keep in mind, the idle adjustment doesn't just change the idle. Look at what else it is connected with.

I had a similar problem and finally had to lengthen the throttle linkage to the upper limits to get/keep the TC locked.

Hopefully you recorded the original stud height before you removed them.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:57 PM

i did record the heights. i am within a half to a quarter turn of each side.
what i am not understaning though, is how the idle in park is at 11oo, while the idle in drive drops so significantly. i know the gov spring plates need to be backed out to the correct spot, then i can adress the idle in drive.

thanks for the input though