Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

GM Wheel Cylinders on unused pads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM Wheel Cylinders on unused pads?

Well here goes another update on the 98. Man, this stuff just keeps getting better and better!
I spent $650 bucks on Ceramic pads, new premium rotors, new calipers and for the rear same thing-except adding GM rear cylinders.

Took everything off the front and other than the nut holding the rotor on the drivers side sticking, all went pretty easy. Man, that was a pain in the !?*! Anyway, rather than resurface the rotors, I figured what the heck-get new ones. So I did. I definetly found the reason for the drastic pull to the left whenever I hit the brakes. When I tried to seperate the drivers caliper for disassembly, it became very clear that that caliper was toast! I could barely budge that thing apart. I reefed on the pad-thank god I was replacing the rotors too. After 10 minutes of that, it was on to getting the new stuff back on. Oh boy! Not much else to mention about the front, but this is where things get interesting........the rear.

Got the drums from each side off and found something VERY interesting. There was sooo little use on the rear drums and pads, they honestly looked like they had no appreciable wear! (well, sortof anyway ) I could still read the part numbers on the side of the pads! I know they were original, the metal tamper discs around a couple of the studs were still there. I blew them out with compressed air and really cleaned them up. I went ahead and put the drums back on for a little investigating. Sure enough, just what I'd thought. Those adjusters were so far away from the drums unless someone was standing on the peddle, I don't think the pads ever came into play. I guess that's why the drums looked like new too. Needless to say, other than replacing the wheel cylinders--that's all I replaced. JUst goes to show how some people don't know crap about their trucks and just a little know-how from wonderful site's like this one, can really be awesome.

Made all the adjustments, bleed the brakes and ........oh my god! Now I know how it feels to stop. The drag is, I can't tell you the difference between old wheel cylinders (27mm) and new GM one's (30mm). But I can tell you my brakes feel more even all the way around. The nose of the truck doesn't dive anymore. Also no more pull! Never once have I heard a squeek. If the missing nose dive thing is due to the GM wheel cylinders, then there is THE great reason to do the mod.

GM wheel cylinders part number are numerous, but basically xx37337. The xx can be 46,23, or letters like AHM. But give Napa or Baxter's the 37337 number and they'll know. Cost....$10 each.

Tom
Old 09-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That rear brake cylinder upgrade seems logical to me for the cost. I will have to do that with the new tires going on this fall.

I recently had the front rotors turned and new brakes on. I think the new rotors are a better idea as now I have a slight pulse in the brakes and found that there is a little wobble in the passenger brake rotor.

Glad to hear all went well.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good to hear, the first thing most everyone I've done the cylinder swap for says is no more nosedive.
As you learned the self adjusters are worthless, get in the habit of adjusting them manually every 5k or if you start getting a pull to one side. Contrary to logic, braking side pull usually comes from the rears.

Only thing that concerns me is the ceramic pads, they are well known for eating the rotors, too hard.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:57 PM

Ceramic: These are composed of ceramic fibers, nonferrous filler materials, bonding agents, and possibly small amounts of metal. Lighter in color and more expensive than other brake pads, ceramic pads are cleaner and quieter, and offer excellent braking characteristics without wearing down the rotors.

Man, I thought I did good......

Tom
Old 09-21-2005, 10:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 97Dually

Man, I thought I did good......
Tom, well maybe you did. I'm sure not all ceramics are the same breed. Let us know how they wear.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:46 AM

My truck is satrting to nose dive, so I gotta readjust the rears again. Plus one side clunks. I did an inspection and I think the right side needs new hadware, springs and such. I love the 1 tons wheel cylinders. Where did you get the ceramic brake pads?
Old 09-21-2005, 12:32 PM

Knechts. They were $80. I know the Manager ($115 usually) Raybestos brand.