Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Gauges with handhelp PC or laptop

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges with handhelp PC or laptop

I see all these PDA's and montiors out for our new trucks just looking to find something for my 94. I have an old laptop and PDA that need to be put to use. I seen on the coolingmist website they have a commander series that uses a PDA to control their water injection and it moniters boost and Egt's allows you to tweak the program and shows your max values and it works on all vehicles. Just seeing if there are some other options out there. And what is everyones opinion on coolingmist's products
Old 01-20-2007, 04:57 AM
Banned

I am kind of interested in the same thing, no way to adjust fueling with the comp but would be interesting to have something. As far as the gauges/monitor go, I don't know who or if they make it. But if you think about it, as long as there were electronic senders/sensors and a program was made to interpret accurately the signals it is very possible. If they don't make one, you just need to get someone very smart with electronics and computer programming and have fun, and then give me the program when you finish it.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:19 AM

zeitronix makes a meter designed for cars running standalone software

it monitors boost, egt, air/ fuel (would be useless) and a couple other things i believe all in a small digital display....
Old 01-20-2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ciscohusker
I see all these PDA's and montiors out for our new trucks just looking to find something for my 94. I have an old laptop and PDA that need to be put to use. I seen on the coolingmist website they have a commander series that uses a PDA to control their water injection and it moniters boost and Egt's allows you to tweak the program and shows your max values and it works on all vehicles. Just seeing if there are some other options out there. And what is everyones opinion on coolingmist's products
You could easily use this:
http://www.quadzillapower.com/products/commander.html

You would be able to ready EGT, Trans/Oil and Fuel Pressure for sure. I believe you can get water temp to work as well (some of our dealers are using them on 12v's just cannot remember exactly what all they are monitoring). Now boost would not work.....yet. We have an analog to digital boost converter that will be out reasonably soon.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
You could easily use this:
http://www.quadzillapower.com/products/commander.html

You would be able to ready EGT, Trans/Oil and Fuel Pressure for sure. I believe you can get water temp to work as well (some of our dealers are using them on 12v's just cannot remember exactly what all they are monitoring). Now boost would not work.....yet. We have an analog to digital boost converter that will be out reasonably soon.
That looks like something I might be interested in how soon is reasonably soon on the boost convertor and how much are we talking for dollars. On top of the 399 price on the web what would I need to get egt, Fuel pressure, oil temp all working on the unit.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:15 PM
DTR question asker

I would love to see a PDA monitor, I have a nice HP iPAQ 5450 that I'd like to put to use, it has WiFi and Bluetooth, so I could use it for getting weather and using a bluetooth GPS, but I've never seen anything that could be used for gauges. If anyone knows of one please let us know.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:23 PM

Well, in some other post, someone else posted this site and said it worked good. I can not say one way or another, but it looks like it might be worth a try. I haven't ordered one or know anyone with one, just someone on some other post recently posted this site so I dont know much about it.

http://www.obd2allinone.com/google.a...obd+scan+tools

Looks kinda cool though and Im interested in it for some of my other vehicles as well.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:25 PM

This one would be a decent gauge setup, only it won't read fuel pressure for the 24V folks...
http://www.scangauge.com/
Old 01-20-2007, 09:45 PM
DTR question asker

Hey thats pretty cool. Would it read boost and EGTs?

NVM, answered that myself:

It will not work on 1996 and 1997 Ford, GM and Dodge trucks with diesel engines.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:56 AM
DTR question asker

Hey guys check this out... I doubt it would do EGTs though...

http://www.car-pal.net/index.htm
Old 01-21-2007, 10:39 AM

guys.... check out the zeitronix.... you can set it up to run through most pda's they sell a program that works on your pda....

you can show boost egt, and several other things on your pda with it...
Old 01-21-2007, 11:10 AM
DTR question asker

Yeah I didn't notice the PDA part... I wonder if it works with Pocket PC?
Old 01-21-2007, 01:09 PM

But if you're taking data from the OBD II port, that comes from the ECM. And from what I understand that doesn't monitor (directly anyway) fuel pressure. That's kind of critical for anyone with a VP44. But I still don't understand how the ECM can throw a "Low Fuel Pressure" (0216) code if it doesn't sense fuel pressure. Perhaps someone smarter than I could explain that one........
Old 01-21-2007, 01:16 PM
DTR question asker

Question: Does the '96 even have and OBDII port?
Old 01-21-2007, 01:17 PM

I think OBD II was mandated on 96 and later. So I'm pretty sure it does...........

Quick Reply: Gauges with handhelp PC or laptop