Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Gauge installation locations

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge installation locations

Electric Fuel Pressure: On the injector pump are two lines. The rear most line has the valve for testing pressure. Is this the place to install the sending unit? Will I have to bleed the fuel line of air once I unscrew the valve and attach the unit?

Boost: I read a post stating they drilled/tapped/installed into the manifold above the injector pump. Is this the correct location.

EGT: Again I've read to install pre turbo. This means drill/tap/mount into the exhast manifold. Is this correct.

Finally, if I drill with a constant shop vac running for chip removal am I okay to leave the these manifolds mounted?

Thanks
Old 09-02-2006, 12:24 PM

I cant help you with fuel pressure but if your head isnt to diffrent from a 12valve then on the driver side of the head there should be a plug 1/8th pipe I think it was that I removed on both of our trucks and put the fitting in that for the boost line. Its sort of in the center of the head (center front back) and on that vertically flat portion thats about 1" tall. For the pyrometer you should put it in the manifold. I can check but im pretty sure it was the back half of the manafold. (its devided there at that coupling) I think the back was what I was told was where the hottest cylinders are. If you keep oil on the drill and tap and remove it often and clean it up and keep a vacume running you should be ok to drill the manifold without trouble. I also stuck a magnet in the hole but didnt pick up any bits. I did this too on both of our trucks. 200k + miles later on the one and the turbo still acts like its new. The other only has 30k or so since the drilling but it still runs without issue.
hope this helps
christian
Old 09-02-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by nv_brewer
Electric Fuel Pressure: On the injector pump are two lines. The rear most line has the valve for testing pressure. Is this the place to install the sending unit? Will I have to bleed the fuel line of air once I unscrew the valve and attach the unit?
Yes, you can get a schrader valve to line adapter to connect to your fuel pressure sender if you are using electric gauges.

You will have to bleed the fuel line.. just have the truck running and leave the sender side loose. Just have something to catch the fuel and tighten when you think the air is out. The advice about the boast is good. You can buy a bolt adapter for a few dollars that will screw into the block.

As for the EGT probe, my installer just started the truck when he tapped the manifold. All of the shavings just flew up towards the hood.

Good luck,

Joe
Old 09-02-2006, 06:53 PM

Ok, the EGT is mounted on the exhast manifold a couple inches before the turbo. The boost is mounted on hte cab side of the intake under the oil dip stick.

Originally Posted by XJJoe01
Yes, you can get a schrader valve to line adapter to connect to your fuel pressure sender if you are using electric gauges.
The guy at Summit racing looked at me as though I was an idiot when I asked for a "schrader valve to line adapter." Where can I get this?
He sold me an in-line adapter for rubber hose. Question: Can I mount this in the line between the lift pump and filter?
Old 09-02-2006, 06:59 PM

You should look at diesel on-line stores like piers, dieselmannor, BD, vulcan, etc. They will have all the parts you need to add the fuel pressure gauge. If you don't want to use the schrader valve, you will have to 2 choices: get a banjo fitting that is taped or an in-line fitting to install your gauge fuel line to.

good luck,

Joe
Old 09-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Chapter President

You got an 02' just like mine, here is where the boost bolt goes........

I think it cost me $8. Have not done my pyro yet, but I know there are some good pics of where they go. I bought the banjo bolt for my pump/fp, but I also bought the isolator, which some people do/some don't.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:08 AM

I went the cheap route for my boost sensor, and hooked into the air horn. Theres a pic in my gallery of it. Pyro, grease the drill bit and tap. Clean often. Then use a telescoping magnet that will fit through the hole to collect any chips. Using grease on both the bit and tap, I didn't have any metal go in.